Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Pioneer stock PT546-00100 Sub output question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 AM
5 Year Member

Default Pioneer stock PT546-00100 Sub output question...

I have just finished installing my Crunch P500.2, 2 channel amp and 10" Kicker Comp10 sub in my 2010 xd, but have not yet powered up. I've tried to search this site and many other car audio forums trying to get this answer CLEARLY answerd:
If the 2 RCA subwoofer outputs from my HU are MONO (which the HU manual only states "Subwoofer output of this unit is monaural"), than can I use standard RCA cables, using BOTH of the outputs from the HU, go into the 2 RCA inputs to my amp, and be able to bridge the sub with both channels of the amp?
It seems to me that I SHOULD use a Y-adapter cable, like my amp manual says,....BUT....what I think is throwing me off is, the Y-adapter is pictured in the amp manual as the single connector comming from the source (my Pioneer PT546-00100 in this case) and the 2 (Y end) going into the 2 RCA inputs of the amp. I kinda think that I would want that cable the oposite way, or am I overthinking?
If Y-adapter IS the correct way, then I assume I just pick Left or Right and move on?
Can't wait to power up and tune, so hopeing to get a direct answer here.
Install took a while, ya know, to do it right and look that good!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you don't need a Y adapter if you have 2 sub outputs from your Pioneer HU. Run a standard RCA (left and right) cable to the amp and hook them into you amp inputs. Since the signal is MONO you don't even have to worry about which way you hook your RCA cables up!

Whatever you do, make sure BOTH inputs are hooked up on your amp. BOTH INPUTS.

one more time, BOTH INPUTS

Old 03-22-2011, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member

Gotcha'. I thought I was overthinking it.

Just so I'm clear.......BOTH...right? ? ? LOL, just messin' with ya.

Appreciate your reply.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha! let us know how it sounds!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:03 AM
5 Year Member

Powered up, tune it in (best I could), and it sounds really GOOD. I will need to keep tuning with more songs and different CD's to get the balance I want.
I will be posting pictures this weekend of the Install. Althought, I thought I would include 2 now.
First one is my amp, mounted under the front passenger seat. MASSIVE room under there!
Second is Me under the dash, fighting the main harness gromet for power cable.
Any advise on tuning my amp?
Crunch P500.2 500 w, 2-channel amp
1 - 10" Kicker comp10 in a sealed box (just a bit smaller size than the minimum recommended by Kicker) bridged.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer stock PT546-00100 Sub output question...-amp-003-install.jpg   Pioneer stock PT546-00100 Sub output question...-amp-010-install.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GSBZ2112
Powered up, tune it in (best I could), and it sounds really GOOD. I will need to keep tuning with more songs and different CD's to get the balance I want.
I will be posting pictures this weekend of the Install. Althought, I thought I would include 2 now.
First one is my amp, mounted under the front passenger seat. MASSIVE room under there!
Second is Me under the dash, fighting the main harness gromet for power cable.
Any advise on tuning my amp?
Crunch P500.2 500 w, 2-channel amp
1 - 10" Kicker comp10 in a sealed box (just a bit smaller size than the minimum recommended by Kicker) bridged.
Yes there is lots of room under there, it's exactly where I put my amp!

Do you have access to a DMM or O-scope? If so, use those to set the gains on your amp.

As far as the crossover goes, start at about 70 hz and just set it to what sounds good to your ear.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 AM
5 Year Member

O-Scope = Oscillascope? What the,. . hey now I'n mot sick and in the hospital or nothin'! HA, ....funny,.....maybe not. What does the DMM stand for?
Hell I wouldn't have access to that kind of equipment anyway. I wouldn't even know how to use them. I understand the principle of the O-scope and how it can basiclly diagnose electrical signals, but still couldn't begin to think how to apply or set it up, hook up, etc.
With that said, no need to explain,....unless you feel the need. We're all here to share and learn right?

70hz, adjust from there, GOTCHA

C-ya
Old 03-25-2011, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha

Yes O-scope = Oscillascope and DMM is digital multimeter.
You use the o-scope to make sure there is no clipping going on in your amp's output signal. You can also set the voltage to what ever you need.

The DMM will let you set the voltage, but will not check for clipping.

Really though, just don't use any bass boosts or loudness features and set it by ear and you should be fine. Scopes and DMMs are more necessary when it comes to people who are trying to get every last bit of performance out of HUGE systems, people that run more power than recommended RMS ratings of subwoofers.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member

Gothca.

You can see my pics of the install on another thread I just posted. Look above in the ICE & Interior postings.

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member

Default Y Cable Sub Output

I Can tell you personally as an audio expert that once the signal leaves the red and white RCA cables, that how far down the line you split it, or unsplit, does not matter as long as it gets converted properly some where down the path. You absolutely can, in the driest answer I have, have the two red and white RCA cables run all the way to your subwoofer and split it and the end. I personally can tell you that because it becomes combined, it's the same HZ with half the size so it will be compressed and you will have slightly less data loss over distance if you split it straight at the Pioneer's output. Also having two lines can omit an electronic field that can slightly reduce your audio quality. Nothing major though unless you seriously, seriously cared. Personally your better off splitting it right at the Pioneer and its a ton easier than trying to hide and syphon two chords all the way, especially if your subs are in the trunk. Blatantly it makes no difference if you just want it to work. If you want prestige quality and less hassle, stick the Y cable right into the receiver. Also I always suggest for RCA type plugs that don't have a "safety," invest in a 5 dollar set of clamps so they don't ease their way out.
Hope that was clear.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

almost 2 years late man! lol

plus, the headunit HAS 2 outputs. No need for any Y adapters at all.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member

Haha I realized that after I posted it. I only read the one where you needed a splitter. Some subwoofers need a single RCA in adaption to the new systems. my bad though, good luck man. You know its funny I'm actually powering my subwoofer right now through the cigarette lighter, no amp. Just a converter. Only cost me 40 bucks, and I already had it. I just ran an extention chord through the carpets and im golden. I have a single 24 Inch Bose subwoofer for a family room and its CRAAZY. haha good luck though man.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Swbari00
you don't need a Y adapter if you have 2 sub outputs from your Pioneer HU. Run a standard RCA (left and right) cable to the amp and hook them into you amp inputs. Since the signal is MONO you don't even have to worry about which way you hook your RCA cables up!

Whatever you do, make sure BOTH inputs are hooked up on your amp. BOTH INPUTS.

one more time, BOTH INPUTS

Hello,

I have OEM Head Unit Pioneer PT546-00120 and the xB specific powered subBazooka VSE-SCI-145L-07.

If the Head Unit has RCA outs for a sub, and the sub is powered (built-in amp), can't I simply run RCA cable from the Head Unit to the powered sub? If the sub is already powered, why would I want/need to connect the sub wiring to a different amp?

Thanks for any helpful insights.

Bazooka VSE-SCI-145L-07 powered sub.

Pioneer PT546-00120 w/ RCA outs for sub.

Pioneer PT546-00120 front.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pmdawn
Hello,

I have OEM Head Unit Pioneer PT546-00120 and the xB specific powered subBazooka VSE-SCI-145L-07.

If the Head Unit has RCA outs for a sub, and the sub is powered (built-in amp), can't I simply run RCA cable from the Head Unit to the powered sub?
Yes indeedy weedy. The different amp is for folks like me who have a passive sub. Nice components, btw.