Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Review: Pioneer AVIC-Z3 HDD Navigation *Pics added*

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Review: Pioneer AVIC-Z3 HDD Navigation *Pics added*

Basic Specs:
Retail Price: $1800.00
Screen Size/Type: 7" Touch Screen
Disc Drive: DVD Drive, Single
Navigation: HDD-Based (~20gb of data, 30gb total size)
Music Jukebox: Rips Audio CDs when inserted (settings can be changed). Will not copy MP3s off existing MP3 CD
Voice-Command: Yes, but only responds to current 'program' you're using
Voice-Guidance: Yes, reads actual street name "Left turn ahead on VALLEY BLVD"
Motorized Face to expose DVD loading slot and hard drive mount.
Pre-Amp Outputs: 3 (Front, Rear, Non-fade) @ 2.2V
Optional Items: Bluetooth, Steering Control Adapter, iPod Cable, Back Up Camera, XM Radio/XM Radio with NAVTraffic service, Sirius Radio, 6-disc DVD/CD changer, Wireless Remote

Installation:
Vehicle: 2008 Scion xD 5MT
Installed Items: Pioneer AVIC-Z3- No optional items added yet
Additional items required for basic installation:
1 - TWH-950 Wiring Harness Kit ~$15
2 - Toyota "Filler" Plates for Radio from 01-05 Celica ~$15.00 each (2 needed)
Special Installation Procedure:
Performed parking brake bypass

Here's the warning message you get each time you start it up... the brake bypass has its ups and downs.

---- And to the review ----

Audio/Video Functions
You have all your basic features on the unit... AM/FM/CD.

AM/FM Radio Functions
The layout allows for the presets to the displayed on the left half of the screen, while the right half has the controls for SEEK/TUNE/etc. Nothing fancy here... it's just your typical radio controls.

CD/HDD Jukebox Functions
The unit has a Gracenote CD Database, so most of your CDs (store bought) will be recognized, ripped, and sorted accordingly. Once a CD is put in the unit, it rips/converts the tracks to MP3s onto the HDD. There are settings to prevent auto-ripping, but 10gb is more space than you think. The CDs are ripped at 4x speed (60 minute cd will take apprx 15 mins to rip/convert MP3s) and you can listen to them as it's being ripped. The controls (Next/Seek/Folder Up/etc) are on the right half of the screen while the left side has a listing of all songs in that folder/album/artist/genre, based on your selected browsing mode. Playlists can be created on the system. I haven't used this feature much, but I believe it was 4 playlists that can be created.

You can sort through the (soon to be) massive HDD by Playlist, Genre, Artist and Album. A listing of each will appear once selected. MP3s can be deleted (single/album), but it was a PITA figuring it out... I should have read the manual... Anyhow, it's a great feature to have if you don't have an iPod (I don't have one... I've been offered a few, but they've been donated to others that needed/wanted them). The HDD is 30gb (total). 10gb is available for MP3 storage.

We've loaded at least 20 cds so far, and we still have 88% free space (about 8.8 gb)

Navigation:
The navigation is very easy to use and is VERY fast. The average time to create a route is about 4 seconds. Some of the other units I've come across (DVD-based) take up to 15 seconds... This is likely due to the fact that the information is stored on a hard drive (faster seek times than cd/dvd). About 12 million points of interest are in the system. You'll see the corp. logos of some of the larger companies (Chevron, Shell, etc). Generic logos for each category is used for the rest ($ for bank, Knife/Fork for restaurants, etc). You can choose to show certain POIs on the navi screen at all times, or hide them all. It's a very good feature. Each POI also has its phone number listed, just in case you wanted to call ahead. It is integrated into the Bluetooth system, so if you choose to call a POI, it'll automatically dial it on your phone. Voice command set is the normal stuff you'll find... nothing too fancy I've discovered yet.

The actual navigation display is quite nice. During the day (headlights off), the screen is brightly lit. At night (headlights on), the background goes black w/ a starry sky. It's a very small feature, but I thought it was nice. Multiple viewing choices are offered (2D, 3D, 2D/3D Hybrid, Overview/current, etc). They all serve their purpose, but I prefer the good ol' 2D map. In addition to the map, you have the "gauges" that everyone loved so much in the D3. 3 gauges can be displayed at once. The center gauge is preset (vehicle speed), while the other 2 gauges can be set to 7 items (acceleration force, side accel., incline, compass, etc). Not the most accurate in the world, but definitely a nice touch to make people say "woah!".

Voice Command Menu

Screen open to expose disc load slot/HDD tray

Verdict:
For $1800.00, it's not bad... but I didn't pay that much

I would recommend this unit to anyone that wants a Navigation system and doesn't already own an iPod. At this price, it's decent due to the music jukebox, but isn't for everyone. If you own an iPod, go for the Pioneer AVIC-F90BT. It's a smaller touch screen (5.8"), but it has an included iPod cable, and built-in Bluetooth. The retail is $1200., so you REALLY get your money's worth.

Here are the filler plates I spoke about in the installation section. Since the stock radio is extra long (longer than a typical unit), you need these for a cleaner install, though it's not necessary. One on each side, left and right.

The GPS antenna is slightly exposed behind the 'waterfall' section. From the driver position, it looks good. In the second picture, you can see where we hid the microphone (left center vent). Oddly enough, there isn't interference when the AC is on.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 PM
SL Member

Default Re: Review: Pioneer AVIC-Z3 HDD Navigation *Pics added*

I've never understood this picture. I've had this thing like 6 months and i've never seen buildings on my screen like that. Is it a hoax? i dunno you tell me? Nah but like he said this really is a great unit if you've got the cash for it and all the extras.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's from the 3D/Driver's View map-type. It only works in big cities (Los Angeles, New York, etc). I'm in the suburbs of LA and haven't seen anything yet either hahaha. It's more fluff than anything, IMO. I hope google gets into creating navigation software... imagine navigation with google streetview! I can't wait for the T-Mobile HTC Dream to come out =]
Old 09-22-2008, 07:55 PM
SL Member

why so google can track your phone usage too. Just sayin'. i think google is an evil empire and they've lost me a lot of money this year on the market.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How do you put music on this thing? I am getting one cause I get a nice discount. I get them for 1250.00...I just need to know how it is that you put music on the system. I hear that you can't burn mp3's which sounds crazy to me.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

looks just my Z2 whats new?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

? que pasa ?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

is the interface like the 700/900bt? any firmware updates that u needed to upload? looks good. im not much of a gps person but i love the hard drive so sick!!! it doesnt cut off when u move and bypass? i figured it would like all the others
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW U PUT MUSIC ON THE HD????? IS IT TRUE THAT U CANT BURN MP3'S?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just stick a audio CD in and it'll automatically rip it. It will not copy mp3 cds. Only cds with separate audio tracks.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks donkey nuts. It has a huge memory and I can only do one cd a a time.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

then dont buy it. lol id be satisfied with the features this has, especially the dynamic display...thats an incredible feature for a head unit
Old 01-24-2009, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Navigation: HDD-Based (~20gb of data, 30gb total size)
The GPS antenna is slightly exposed behind the 'waterfall' section.
OK i'm confused, is it GPS navigation or HDD? Or BOTH? Or is that the Satellite Radio antenna?
If there is no GPS for the Nav, how does the Hard drive know where you are?
Do you have to touch the screen after every completed direction or what?
I'm kinda new to Nav systems and think they are great, but I think I'd like a GPS based Naved system (i know there are lag/signal issues blah blah).
Old 01-24-2009, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty sure he means that the navigation for that headunit is on the HDD so there is no need for a CD like the D3. The antenna obviously has to go somewhere for it to be picked up by the satellites

I have the AVIC F700BT and I love it, still a big of a laggy startup even after the firmware update though. Still, a great headunit for being a base model.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL! Confusion ensues.

The Navigation Data is stored either on Flash, HDD, or Disc. This is the HDD version. All the navi info (20gb) is stored on the HDD. It uses GPS data to track your location. Technically, all navigations should be GPS-based, unless it's using cell towers, or even WLAN signals to pinpoint its location.

This system has been great so far. No complaints after about 4 months of use.

I'm waiting for the new Eclipse unit though... I'd love to slap that into my 4Runner