Notices
Scion xD ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xD Wink help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

Default xD Wink help?

So I tried searchign for old threads because I know people have done this, but had no luck on scionlife about putting a wink mirror in an xD. Any help on how I can remove my sun visors and what not? Any info would be of help. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KBxD
So I tried searchign for old threads because I know people have done this, but had no luck on scionlife about putting a wink mirror in an xD. Any help on how I can remove my sun visors and what not? Any info would be of help. Thanks!
first off, the sunguards are a pita to take off, i broke one of mine taking it down before i figured out how lol.

2nd, get ready for a painful install. because theres no screws in the sunguards on the xd. so you cant just screw it in or make screw in brackets. you will either need to drill into the surrounding metal and make a bracket or get creative and find a way to hang a bracket in the clip places.

as far as removing the sunguards, i think i may still have my broken one sitting around at the house, and if i do, i'll take some pics of it assembled and do a disassembly process for you. i cant explain it off the top of my head without revisiting it.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They also have wink mirror kits on ebay that attach directly onto your windshield via glue, which i have used along with a few of my friends. Works better imo cuz i get to keep the sunshades!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What the hell is a wink mirror?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
What the hell is a wink mirror?
Panoramic mirror like what they use on golf carts.

its becoming pretty popular in the car scenes.

I have one on my accord, and tried to put one on my xd years ago right after i bought it.

Its what my HR vinyls are stuck to in the front glass

theyre relatively cheap / low quality. but they are pretty awesome mirrors. no blind spots, etc.

I really like having mine.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah I see now, I have always heard them called by a different name.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member

Hmm yep I'll probably check out the window mounts instead of attempting to remove my sun visors. Sounds a ton simpler, Thanks for the help : )
Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good luck with the window mounts!, i tried those in my xD and couldnt not get them to stick whatsoever. hope you manage to make it work though!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member

@XDTool, which kind do you have? It looks like your mirror is a single piece of reflective material (chrome?) that is curved, while the diagram under your last photo has multiple flat mirrors at different angles. I've seen both types. Which is better?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rob215
@XDTool, which kind do you have? It looks like your mirror is a single piece of reflective material (chrome?) that is curved, while the diagram under your last photo has multiple flat mirrors at different angles. I've seen both types. Which is better?
i have the one with the 5 seperate panes at different angles.

thats the one i prefer, but i guess which is better is all in eye of beholder.

i find that the 5 seperate panes are great, no blind spots, good viewing, etc.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm yep I'll probably check out the window mounts instead of attempting to remove my sun visors. Sounds a ton simpler, Thanks for the help : )
*note --> when using the window mounts, just overdue the glue and allow time for it to dry (preferably overnight) then just remove the excess the next day to ensure that theres no air bubbles... so the thing doesn't fall on your face when you're driving lol (happened to me and my friend when we installed his -__-" )
Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member

Default Another possible solution...

I was giving this some thought because I want one of those mirrors in my xD. I have a solution that I think will work. I bought one of these a couple of months ago:

Amazon Amazon

Its a suction cup holder for my smartphone when I'm using GPS. It was $29.99. I'm thinking of getting two more of these, removing the smartphone cradle, and attaching one mirror bracket to each holder with epoxy. It should be more than stable (my phone has never come loose), I'll still have my visors, and I won't have to permanently glue anything to my car. Just an idea.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member

Actually, I just found this video showing a wink 5 panel mirror installed in an xB. He's using small mounts glued to the windshield and I have to admit that it looks very clean.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, I just found this video showing a wink 5 panel mirror installed in an xB. He's using small mounts glued to the windshield and I have to admit that it looks very clean.
it looks great, its the same thing that i did when i had my xd.... the downfall? i let mine sit for a whole weekend before putting the mirror onto the mounts, and it stayed up for all of 5-10 minutes until i hit the first bump.

hopefully anyone else that tries has better luck than me, because the install is very clean if you use the windshield mounts and get everything straight and it holds.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member

I finally got the time to sit down and do all this these past few days. I ended up using the window mounts. I let them dry for a few days and my mirrors stayed on when I was doing speeds up to 70 on the highway so no bad experience for me yet. I am afraid it’s gonna fall off on me someday but for now it’s in and I’m gonna enjoy it while it lasts lol. Heres some pics of mine:

Inside

It looks a little funny because I left my old window mount on still. 1. Because I HAVE to have my college parking pass visible or I'll get towed lol and 2. If I ever want to sell or trade in my car I want to still have that on. You can’t see the window mount that much from the outside but this is what my mounts look like without the mirror on:
Old 12-03-2011, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member

Bad news for me so far...

I used plenty of glue on the window mounts, let them dry 24 hours, put the mirror on and BAM!, it fell right off! I didn't even get to back out of my parking space, lol.

It looks like the glue didn't want to stick to the plastic mounts so I roughened the backs with sandpaper, and I'm trying some different silicone adhesive. I'll post the results after the second try.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member

Bad news for me so far...

I used plenty of glue on the window mounts, let them dry 24 hours, put the mirror on and BAM!, it fell right off! I didn't even get to back out of my parking space, lol.

It looks like the glue didn't want to stick to the plastic mounts so I roughened the backs with sandpaper, and I'm trying some different silicone adhesive. I'll post the results after the second try.
Make sure your window's really clean before you try to glue it on again, I used Invisible glass (Tint safe window cleaner) to clean mine
Old 12-03-2011, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member

The glue stuck to the windshield just fine. In fact, I had trouble removing the excess. The problem is the plastic mounts don't stick to the glue. I'm using the Wink mounts that are made for the Wink mirror.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i installed the wink mirror in my xd. the glue that they supply with the mounting kit sucks. i have my windshield tinted, so i put the mounts on the mirror, with the receiving end attached, and traced the outline with a razor. then i peeled off the tint where the mounts were going to go and lightly sanded the glass, as well as the mount. Then i mixed up some 30 minute epoxy and applied it in a generous amount to the mount. I used frog tape to secure mount to the glass while the epoxy dried. I waited 24 hours, then i slid the mirror onto the mounts. It has held up great so far. The epoxy holds it rock solid.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mines bolted to the roof haha

Quick Reply: xD Wink help?