Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2008 xD wont start..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 2008 xD wont start..

Any one else have trouble with there xD not starting? first issue At 11000 miles last November it would crank and not start. Turn key it cranks continues to crank when you let off key
( was told Toyota has "active cranking assist to help crank car until their is spark?")
Spent 5 days in shop. first they said it was bad fuel( bullxxxx) it had 200 miles on that tank so that was rather doubtful. Then they found problem with #4 coil which they replaced.
It was fine till this morning. Same symptoms all over again at 19708 miles 4 months later. Sitting here waiting for tow.

This stinks as main reason i purchased this car was the "reliability". It is my 1st Japanese car. I drive 30,000 miles/year for work and was tired of killing my GM products.
After driving the xD and seeing the mileage savings I was sold. Great car other than not starting.
Any input?

Thanks
Ryan

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-24-2019 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

at first guess i wouldve suspected the chip in your key is going or is bad in which the immobilizer is kicking in have u tried a diff key?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would investigate into seeing if you got a lemon, haven't heard anything similar to this on the forum as of yet
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

on the bright side if its the same problem and happens again after as a no lemon policy you get a new car
Old 03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by steezie
at first guess i wouldve suspected the chip in your key is going or is bad in which the immobilizer is kicking in have u tried a diff key?
The xD does not have a chip in the key.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by tmrepp
Originally Posted by steezie
The xD does not have a chip in the key.
Here in the U.S. it does!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sorry pal, it doesn't
Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

proof?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesnt sound like its something with the coil either. the car would still start without a coil firing, unless toyota has some safety shutoff in its programing. it would just drive like crap when it did run.

and if it did have a chip in the key that was going bad, wouldnt the car not even try to turn over?

maybe a bad fuel pump?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pickledchang
doesnt sound like its something with the coil either. the car would still start without a coil firing, unless toyota has some safety shutoff in its programing. it would just drive like crap when it did run.

and if it did have a chip in the key that was going bad, wouldnt the car not even try to turn over?

maybe a bad fuel pump?
pinched fuel line?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from scionchat on scion.com:

SPet: Hi, my name is SPet. How may I help you?
Andrew W: hello, does the xD, 2008 or 2009 have an 'immobilizer chip' in the key?
SPet: just a moment let me check to be sure
SPet: I believe the xD has an immobilizer
SPet: for both 08 & 09
Andrew W: ah, okay. thanks!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol that was a very suspect chat there pickle, reminds me of gone in 60 seconds
Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol, thought i would lay out some kind of evidence before a fight broke out. i was gonna call the dealership, i was curious myself anyway, but i really didnt want to hear any salesmen BS.

i would definitely try another key though, and outside of that, i would think its something with the fuel system.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a copy of my key made, and it works to start it. Just a plain metal key...
Old 03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah they don't have a chip.... Remote start works on my car with no programmer or bypass module and I did just like tmrepp, I use a copied key for my xD that way I'm not carrying around that bulky thing.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, i guess that means scion reps on scionchat dont know their own car (at least the one i talked to).
Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK, so the xD does not have an immobiliser. I have had several Toyota/Lexus products that do, and the xD does not.

With that said, about two weeks ago my xD would not start either. It sat in the garage for about 4 days, then on my way to work, I got in, turned and released the key because all xD's have the auto-start feature that allows you not to hold the key (it will crank until the engine starts). It started, then hesitated, then died. I thought it was weird, so I tried again. This time, I turned and released the key and the engine just cranked for about 15 seconds without starting. Not even a hint that it would start. And same here, I had about 200 miles on this tank of fuel, so that wasn't it. I tried this four more times. I thought for sure I was going to have to call a tow truck, but on the 5th try, it started, but barely. It was very hesitant and then it was fine. No more problems. I have 13,500 miles on mine and bought it in August 2007.

I have no idea why this happened. It did smell like a lot of raw fuel, but it's fuel injected, so I have no idea why it would flood if that was the case. I never touch the gas pedal when I start my xD. The only thing I could think of was that maybe while my car was sitting for 4 days, the fuel injectors leaked fuel into the cylinders until the pressure ran down flooding the engine, but I have no idea.

Keep us posted on your car. I may have the same problem and not know it yet.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive never noticed an autostart feature on mine. mine fails to start all the time if i dont hold the key until it starts and its cold. the only time ive had a hesitation is if i started it cold and only let it run for a few seconds before turning it off for some reason (ie, in a hurry to leave and left something in the house). if it sits a little bit after doing this, it runs pretty rough for a few seconds after starting it up again.

either way, sounds like maybe we are on to something?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Mine did that once, and all I did was held the key in the start position till it started. I've noticed with the xD that there is a lot of steam that is produced in our emissions, more than I've seen in any other car I think... Maybe the exhaust just got water in it and clogged? I know after about 5 minutes of trying it finally started and I haven't had any problems since and this was about 3 months ago.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by pickledchang
ive never noticed an autostart feature on mine. mine fails to start all the time if i dont hold the key until it starts and its cold. the only time ive had a hesitation is if i started it cold and only let it run for a few seconds before turning it off for some reason (ie, in a hurry to leave and left something in the house). if it sits a little bit after doing this, it runs pretty rough for a few seconds after starting it up again.

either way, sounds like maybe we are on to something?
The autostart feature is excellent IMO, next time you go to your car, click the key and dont hold it, the xD will continue to crank until it starts...
If you have a standard like I do you need to keep the clutch in until it starts, but you do not have to keep the key turned...

As for the car not starting I had an issue last winter where I spun out on some ice and the car stalled... after that it would crank for the fifteen seconds without starting, by the third attempt it started up with no issues and has been fine since...

Quick Reply: 2008 xD wont start..