Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   All kinds of sounds! Any from your Hatch? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/all-kinds-sounds-any-your-hatch-155161/)

TRDxD 01-27-2009 05:50 AM

All kinds of sounds! Any from your Hatch?

Now I know it's quite normal for there to be squeaking/creaking from the hinges of some parts on cars (hood/doors/hatch and/or trunk) but MAN is my trunk loud...it creaks worse than any of the doors in my house. Anyone else have the same thing? Nothing I can't fix, just wondering if there's anyone else out there who's noticed it.

scion123 01-27-2009 04:19 PM

My trunk creaks when i go over speed bumps.

TRDxD 01-27-2009 09:13 PM

oh wow...are you sure its not the chassis?

Zed 01-27-2009 10:18 PM

mine is still quite at 10k miles. although the trunk insert makes a thud if i got over a big enough bump.

TRDxD 01-27-2009 10:47 PM

lol whenever i go over a bump i get shakes/rattles from all over my dash/trunk....got owrse when i lowered it but thats to be expected..

pickledchang 01-27-2009 11:24 PM

my license plate frame is the only thing that rattles right now on the hatch... cant say ive heard any creaking though, yet.

mcbrew 01-28-2009 12:06 AM

Mine makes noise, too. I was thinking of taking EVERYTHING out of the back and trying to figure out exactly what it is. Sounds like the left rear shock or the sway bar making contact with the torsion axle. Could be the jack handle for all I know.

TRDxD 01-28-2009 12:49 AM

is yours a clunking sound? or does it creak? if it creaks it could just be the rigidity of the chassis. especially if its coming form a corner (when youre going over bumps)

pickledchang 01-28-2009 02:10 AM

i used to have a problem with this creaking sound coming from the hatch on a previous car, and i traced it down to the ball-style pivot deals where the hatch's gas shocks connect to the chassis. ill have to pay more attention for these sounds... is it making creaks when you hit bumps or when the vehicle chassis is flexing from unevenness in the road?

silver06 01-28-2009 02:30 AM

Mine within the last two weeks has developed a squeeking that goes on constantly while I drive and it driving me and my kids bonkers. Its coming from inside in the rear somewhere.

mcbrew 01-28-2009 02:34 PM

Mine is more of a clunk. I only notice it when the radio is off and I have to be on just the right kind of road. Something like a very subtle washboard surface might make it happen. I don't notice it on bigger bumps.

ChelsDS 01-29-2009 01:27 AM

Wow... the only things that rattle in my car are the things I have stowed in my dash storage compartments lol. It's very disappointing to know that our cars have the potential for rattling, odd squeaks, etc. when the Fit (roughly the same price) does not. :?

TRDxD 01-29-2009 01:48 AM

yeah thats very true...even the first gen Fit was quiet as could be...good that you don't have the same problems some of us have though!

I also seem to have developed a NEW rattle...sounds like my windshield wiper...

the plot thickens.....lol

w_kary 01-29-2009 01:54 AM

If mine is rattling I can't here it over the TRD exhaust! One great argument for an exhaust mod! (':rofl:')

Seriously though, never noted any noise from there prior to the exhaust swap either.

My pet peeve for noises is the dash when it drops to -20 degrees, it pops something awful until you get the interior warmed back up... :tap:

WellesleyScion 01-30-2009 08:09 PM

I get all sorts of sounds/rattling... having a sub back there doesn't help, lol!

my rearview mirror rattles(as in you hear it) when the sub is going, something behind the dash rattles at low rpm's too, never noticed anything from the rear though...

TRDxD 01-30-2009 09:09 PM

agreed with both kary and wellesley....dash rattle has been a constant woe of xD owners it seems....supposedly if you complain, and your dealership is friendly, they'll put foam inserts in there for you to dampen it...but that doesn't sound like it FIXES the problem. only gives us a break from hearing it. i want to know what the true problem behind it is

w_kary 01-30-2009 09:12 PM

Really??? Well I am gonna whine like a puppy that hasn't been let outside for a week! I'll let you know what happens!

mcbrew 01-30-2009 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by w_kary
Really??? Well I am gonna whine like a puppy that hasn't been let outside for a week! I'll let you know what happens!

They'll smack you in the nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

TRDxD 01-30-2009 11:39 PM

LOL that was good...but yeah for sure, let us know what happens. if they offer to do the sound dampening, you should ask them to go ahead and just check to see what's actually causing the problem...should still be free considering there's nothing that you've done to the car that would create the problem.

JDMJim 01-30-2009 11:54 PM

my whole dash vibrates and rattles now. well, average temps in the teens prolly don't help. theres' still ice in the suspension bits and door hinges that just won't melt away