Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   Anyone put premium gas in their xD ? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/anyone-put-premium-gas-their-xd-203457/)

ddc1965 05-25-2011 05:23 PM

Anyone put premium gas in their xD ?

My hubby's telling me that I should put premium gas in my xD.
Sometimes when I push down hard on the gas, I can hear a knock/rattle in the engine.
(When I had the low oil problem, I thought it was from that.)
He had an '86 Civic that he always used premium in because of the engine knock.
I found a thread on here where someone said do not use premium in the xD, that it caused carbon build up or something in the engine.

What do you guys think? :confused:

Jiggaman 05-25-2011 06:18 PM

complete waste of money unless you are boosted. been discussed MANY times

if you were supposed to use premium, it would say premium in your manual

BlkxD 05-25-2011 07:42 PM

Using Premium gas can sometimes stop an engine knock, but our xD's were designed for use with 87 octane. Carbon build up would take place over a long period of premium fuel usage. I suggest you try 1 tank of premium and see if you notice a difference in the knock/ rattle you are hearing. If premium fixes the knock, you may continue to use premium running the risk of carbon build up. There are products(such as fuel additives) designed to clear carbon build up in your engine if you do continue to use premium.

mcbrew 05-25-2011 09:28 PM

If your engine is knocking on 87 octane, either there is something wrong with the engine or the gas is horrible quality. If you always fill up at the same place, you might want to try another brand first.

You were having oil burning issues, right? It is possible that you have some other problem that was caused by low engine oil. Hopefully not.

mikem53 05-26-2011 01:00 AM

Switch brands of gas.. Also, running the rpms up will help
burn off the carbon deposits.. you should do this from time to time.. its also fun.
Try some FI cleaner if that doesn't help..
If you are losing oil which is being burned.. , which it is if its not leaking.. you could foul the plugs.

nguyen925 06-07-2011 07:42 AM

I also hear its a bad idea to go premium because our engines were designed to run off of unleaded. My advice would be, if it aint broke don't fix it.

mikem53 06-07-2011 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by nguyen925 (Post 3854054)
I also hear its a bad idea to go premium because our engines were designed to run off of unleaded. My advice would be, if it aint broke don't fix it.

All gasoline sold today is unleaded. Octane is a measurement for resistance to detonation.

tugatito12 06-07-2011 01:27 PM

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

nguyen925 06-10-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by mikem53 (Post 3854078)
All gasoline sold today is unleaded. Octane is a measurement for resistance to detonation.

Good to know let me rephrase that, as far as I understand our engines are designed to run efficiently off of REGULAR UNLEADED as opposed to Premium Unleaded or Supreme Unleaded.