Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   CAUTION: Load Carrying Capacity Reduced? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/caution-load-carrying-capacity-reduced-163088/)

1800collect 05-20-2009 08:16 PM

CAUTION: Load Carrying Capacity Reduced?

1 Attachment(s)
So I bought my Scion XD used last month and I noticed this sticker on the inside door well for the first time today. What could have added the weight and what is the modification? It's a certified pre-owned vehicle.

Is this how they all come?

Attachment 122922

Zefoxe 05-20-2009 08:46 PM

If you put on optional equipment, they put this on their to save their butts from lawsuits from knuckleheads who like to push the weight limit the car can carry

1800collect 05-20-2009 09:37 PM

I haven't put anything besides an arm rest. I don't know what the previous owner might have put on... :ponder:

ZOMGXB 05-20-2009 11:19 PM

Look for gold bars hidden in the floorboards. :rofl: In today's economy it's the only safe place!

HMMMMmmmmm...80 pounds of...something in the car? Might want to pop out some panels and have a look, before you draw the attention of any passing police dogs... :P

mcbrew 05-21-2009 02:09 PM

A lot (most?) of the '09 xD's have this sticker. I don't remember if it was on mine before the dealer added my options... but my car did come with VSC... maybe that adds some weight?

adaycj 05-21-2009 02:10 PM

Trailer hitch? It is the only thing I can think of that would be 80# Maybe there was a hitch and it was removed?

I suppose it would have been a rack or some other semi permanent device that was removed. Was the vehicle used commercially before you bought it?

glhboy 05-21-2009 05:07 PM

Bought my 09 brand new with nothing added and it had that sticker.

JJGeneral1 05-22-2009 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by glhboy
Bought my 09 brand new with nothing added and it had that sticker.

same here.

i wonder if it's for a full tank of gas? 8 pounds per gallon of liquid. 11.1 gallon tank... 88.8 ish pounds...

mcbrew 05-22-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by adaycj
Trailer hitch? It is the only thing I can think of that would be 80# Maybe there was a hitch and it was removed?

I suppose it would have been a rack or some other semi permanent device that was removed. Was the vehicle used commercially before you bought it?

Nah... I installed my trailer hitch myself. Toyota/Scion does not approve towing with their cars in the US. They do approve most cars (including the Yaris) in Europe. So you won't find them installing hitches on them here.

I'm curious... does anyone have that sticker and NOT have VSC?

SLODEANIS 05-23-2009 12:22 AM

Stange. I have an 08 without it. If it was such an important thing to have, why no recall for a sticker?

ChelsDS 05-23-2009 01:01 AM

I thought all 09s came with VSC. If they do, that could be the reason for the sticker.

Call Scion Corp and inquire about it.

Luc1f3r 05-23-2009 01:57 AM

my 08 RS1 does not have VCS and has the sticker, i assumed it was on for the spring.

uskrewed 05-23-2009 04:23 PM

It's nothing to worry about, I think late model 08s and all 09s have them due to some weight being added on due to some unknown features. There was no recall for early model cars so I wouldn't be worried about it being anything all that important

mcbrew 05-23-2009 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
I thought all 09s came with VSC. If they do, that could be the reason for the sticker.

Call Scion Corp and inquire about it.

Nope... still optional in '09. In fact, that's what held me up a couple of weeks -- I wasn't going to buy a car that didn't have stability control.

No it appears not to be VSC that causes them to put the sticker on there. Like uskrewed said, probably just some change late in '08 that added weight to the car.

YELOSUB 05-24-2009 04:20 PM

My 08 RS1 has that sticker and I do not have VSC...I too assumed it was because of the TRD springs...

1800collect 05-24-2009 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by uskrewed
It's nothing to worry about, I think late model 08s and all 09s have them due to some weight being added on due to some unknown features. There was no recall for early model cars so I wouldn't be worried about it being anything all that important

Mine is a later 08 model. It had a previous owner a not any commercial type ownership acording to when I carfaxed it.

mikem53 06-22-2010 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1800collect (Post 3134754)
So I bought my Scion XD used last month and I noticed this sticker on the inside door well for the first time today. What could have added the weight and what is the modification? It's a certified pre-owned vehicle.

Is this how they all come?

http://imgur.com/8iqy2.jpg

I have this sticker too.. couldn't find anyone who knew the answer.. so.. I looked into further..
The DOT and NHTSA have this goofy method they use to calculate vehicle options for a certain weight rating. When the options are over a certain percentage of the vehicles weight, the gross weight rating must be reduced. So thats what the sticker implies.. has no real bearing on what is on the car.. its the percentage that has made the sticker necessary.. In other words.. its nothing and can be ignored.
Don't forget.. many of the options are port installed and are considered not part of the original design..

ramrat 06-23-2010 09:07 PM

I got the sticker as well for my 09 but the sticker is smaller than the one shown and had a hand written 1 for the kg and 3 for the lbs.

no trd springs no vsc