Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Designated Driver Woes - Any Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 01:18 AM

Angry Designated Driver Woes - Any Recommendations?

So, I was a DD for new year's and one of my passengers threw up all over my freshly detailed XD interior. He was in the passenger seat. We've done a good job cleaning everything out, but it still reeks of vomit and I gag just going into my car. The windows have been open to air it out, but it's horrid.

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting the vomit smell out? I don't want to damage the interior with harsh cleaning chemicals, and I'd really rather not blow another $200 on a detail. The worst part is he tried to get it out the window, but didn't, so there's some down the window housing itself and I'm not sure how I can clean that.

Any recommendations? The irresponsible drunk was my husband so the detail would essentially be out of my own pocket if I did end up going that route, and even then, I can't see the crap in the window housing being cleaned up. Google seems to recommend vinegar, baking soda, or a variety of pet household cleaners, but I'm torn as to what to try first and what is least likely to damage my interior.

Alternatively - If anyone knows a detailing place in or around Wellesley / Boston MA that is good with this sort of thing and would be able to handle the window housing vomit, let me know. I will not be returning to the detailing place that I used a couple day's prior to this happening for unrelated reasons.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In order to get rid of the smell, you need to get rid of the traces of that smell. So you'll basically have to clean anywhere that the vomit hit.

One good trick is using a powerful smelling cleaner like Pine Sol, as it is safe to use on the plastic interiors of our Scions. If you're comfortable doing this, dismantle the dashboard of your car and wipe both the underside and the topside of your dash pieces with Pine Sol. Then you can use Armor All wipes or any kind of good smelling conditioner at the top of your pieces when reassembled.

Your next task is keeping the car smelling good. While airing it out, one of my favorite tricks is using dryer sheets. You can get a bottle of Febreeze and spritz the sheets so they are wet. Put one sheet under both your driver and passenger seats respectively. Then, open up your cabin air filter (where air comes into the car from outside) and drop a sheet on top of your filter and secure it in place with a paper clip. This ensures that any air coming into your car will go through that dryer sheet. If you really want to get creative, sticking them behind the air conditioner vents is also an added bonus.

If you keep this procedure up and use Pine Sol well, that smell will go away. Do your best to have as much fresh air as possible coming into the car.

Harsh chemicals will destroy your interior, so stick to the basics. Good luck!

P.S. - At the end of the day, febreeze the interior of your car. Don't forget to do your headliner, too. Then, use Pine Sol and wipe down the plastic interior pieces, crack open your windows slightly, and let it air out overnight.