Exterior Care Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Exterior Care Tips?

What is your regimen?

I'm looking to get tips on the best way to take care of the xD's exterior. My last car I only washed every couple months...and I know that is bad...but I just didn't care that much about the 01 accord as I do about the xD...

I want to wash and wax...but don't know how often or what kind of wax is good. Does wax offer more to a car than just shine?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I used to wash once a week, then after a while, I finally waxed it. Took FOREVER (white car...can barely see the wax), waxed it again the following week and it lasted for a while(makes washing MUCH easier later on). Use a brand new sponge every time you wash, NEVER re-use a sponge, just throw it out after each wash. If you drop the sponge, throw it out. Don't try to rinse it off and get the rocks out, it won't work, it will end up giving you swirl marks all over the car. Same goes for towels, only use micro-fiber towels, and if you drop them, throw them out or use them for wheels or something 'less important'.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wash once a week depending on weather and I use a spray wax every other wash and once every few months I use real wax not the spray stuff. The two best brands for cleaning supplies are mothers or Maguire’s go to there websites you will find details on products and even tips for cleaning your car
Old 08-21-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

X2 on mothers. I used turtle wax for the first few waxes, then I tried out Mothers and it's just a lot easier to apply, finished product is basically the same..
Old 08-21-2008, 07:44 PM

a post we did a while ago.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...535&highlight=
Old 08-21-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

woooo great. thanks for the tips everyone
Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cdyerkes
woooo great. thanks for the tips everyone
This is very helpful for someone who has never owned a car worth taking such good care of before... thanks.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a LOT of money to spend on sponges each time you wash your car :? I use the same one over and over, but I have different sponges for parts of the car. Like a body panel only sponge, tire+rim sponge, engine bay sponge and... I think thats it. I also keep my microfiber towels separate from cotton since mixing them defeats the purpose of a microfiber towel.

I highly suggest you wash, CLAY then wax your car. What is the point of waxing your car when it's not completely clean? You can clay your car at anytime, but the rule of thumb is you clay when you notice the surface of your car is no longer smooth. Then you clay Always, always follow up with waxing what you just clayed since the wax will stay longer and will be smoother for longer. Just use the clay lube when you clay or you'll ruin your clearcoat
Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought your suppose to let the paint cure for 6mths before ya hand wax the car?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 PM

Don't wax - wax yellows and has to be re-applied every 3 months. Use Zaino - it is a polymer system that you layer on. The more layers, the deeper the shine. it leasily lasts up to a year. I have been using on my cars for 9 years.

http://www.zainostore.com/

NOTE: I am not affiliated with nor do I make any money from Zaino. It's just a really good product.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've never heard of having to let the paint cure after its out of the factory. :?

When getting it from the dealership it should already be smooth, but most likely you will notice your hand will start to drag on the paint, then its time to clay.

I don't see if you will see much of a difference with a "deeper shine" on silver or white xDs, but darker cars yes. As far as the wax yellowing... how long do you think the wax should be on the car for? It eventually comes off after washing, rains and other elements. Hence why you rewax.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Supplies: Turtle Wax ICE brand everything
2 sided microfiber mitt thats machine washable
Microfiber Towels

Regime: Wash once per week with exception to upcoming car shows. Wax once a month. Liquid Clay bar every 3 months. Hose down wheel wells and undercarriage. Interior cleaners on the engine bay. WD40 unpainted metal engine components. Vacuum every week. Microfiber is God And always double check cleaning materials for rocks and other dirt cause then its time to get a new one.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
That is a LOT of money to spend on sponges each time you wash your car :?
A sponge is a sponge when it's clean, I get them for a buck each...I usually buy 5-10 at a time and just leave them in the packaging. I'm nowhere near as bad with this stuff as my one friend. He dropped like 4 of his microfiber towels one day, full size ones...he threw them in the trash, lol
Old 08-22-2008, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting. I've never even heard of clay before. i'll have to give that a try.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Theres no point in clay barring a new car, wait a while so the clay can actually do something. I'm going to do it in Sept before the winter, and get a nice thick coat of wax on it.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
Theres no point in clay barring a new car, wait a while so the clay can actually do something. I'm going to do it in Sept before the winter, and get a nice thick coat of wax on it.
Right.

I plan on just washing and waxing until around october or so and then will do the clay bar + a couple coats of wax like you said.

So I found this guide on claybarring and polishing your car:
http://simpledetailing.blogspot.com/...-your-car.html

can someone tell me if this is the right way to do it? and also...when buffing your wax in, do you use microfiber or cotton?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great link... Wonder what sealant to use after you clay bar the car? Hmmm - I'm sure someone will have an opinion on this.

I went to my local independently owned parts store and bought about $50 worth of Maguire's products. to give you an idea of what the basics cost.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Microfiber.

I've never clayed so I can't confirm that, but from what I've heard, it's basically wash, clay + lube, wax.

I will confirm this statement though.

N.B: Try not to drop the clay bar on the floor. If this happens, throw it away ! Never reuse it or the dirt brought up from the ground will scratch your car.
Anything you use for cleaning the outside of the car should be thrown into the trash if it touches the ground.

Also, for waxing, be prepared to get a nice work out. It takes a long time, and don't rush. Apply the wax and let it dry, while it's drying, add more wax to another section (don't go overboard). Once it's completely dried, buff it off and move on. You don't want to be in direct sunlight while doing this, it will make the wax dry to fast and could possibly damage the paint if left on for too long.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GreyFox
Great link... Wonder what sealant to use after you clay bar the car? Hmmm - I'm sure someone will have an opinion on this.

I went to my local independently owned parts store and bought about $50 worth of Maguire's products. to give you an idea of what the basics cost.
also found this guide on waxing: http://www.stevemcconnell.com/recrea...-technique.htm

so combining the two guides when claying looks good.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This seems like a lot of work... can't I just pay someone to do this?

Quick Reply: Exterior Care Tips?