Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]
View Poll Results: Will the xA in 2006 resemble the xA in 2009?
Almost entirely
8.33%
Some small modest changes
4.17%
Some major fundamental differences
33.33%
Ripped from another Toyota model
25.00%
No longer in the Scion lineup
16.67%
I think there's a hair in my soup
12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

The Future of the xA

Old 08-18-2006, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Psyco565
I sure hope so, they really let us down supporting the xA this time around. I mention I own a Scion and everyone has trouble guessing which one it is. "oh the box, those things have a lot of room" No I dont drive the xB "then you have the cool 2-door sport model?" No, I'm not a girl or some young punk with a fast and furious attitude. I drive this car. "holy @%@# that thing looks nice, how fast does it go?" *Shakes head and walks away...* So sad.
If only it weren't true...

I was struggling for a long time over which to get. I love the value for money of the tC (well, all of them have good value for money) and I love the interior space of the xB. But I always liked the style of the xA most and the kicker for me was that it was the least popular. Buying one tells people that I actually have a personality and am not jumping in on the latest pop craze.

I'm disappointed in insignificant ways with my xA. I can overlook its shortcomings and even learn to love them for what it is. I don't think I could do that with the tC. Its supposed to be the top of the range so whatever is missing would be inexcusable.

-mC
Old 08-18-2006, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by turkus2
Originally Posted by Psyco565
I sure hope so, they really let us down supporting the xA this time around. I mention I own a Scion and everyone has trouble guessing which one it is. "oh the box, those things have a lot of room" No I dont drive the xB "then you have the cool 2-door sport model?" No, I'm not a girl or some young punk with a fast and furious attitude. I drive this car. "holy @%@# that thing looks nice, how fast does it go?" *Shakes head and walks away...* So sad.

I was struggling for a long time over which to get. I love the value for money of the tC (well, all of them have good value for money) and I love the interior space of the xB. But I always liked the style of the xA most and the kicker for me was that it was the least popular. Buying one tells people that I actually have a personality and am not jumping in on the latest pop craze.

I'm disappointed in insignificant ways with my xA. I can overlook its shortcomings and even learn to love them for what it is. I don't think I could do that with the tC. Its supposed to be the top of the range so whatever is missing would be inexcusable.

-mC
coming from a stripped 1998 civic CX hatch (2dr, 14" wheels, NO power steering, power windows, locks, A/C, tach, or stereo... or rear windshield wiper/washer, rear doors )... i cant see any shortcomings at all.

and even with a smaller 1.5l engine, and the same specs on paper? the xA feels like it has more torque and horsepower. must be the gearing, 15" wheels, and the vvt-I? i took a trip to laughlin the first week i had it, and on the hills, it pulled 5th gear no problem. on the civic, id have to drop it to 4th or 3rd.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-mC
Do you think owning an xA makes you different? I see xA's everywhere. Buying the Scion that sells the least amount of cars doesn't reaffirm your great personality or set you apart from the crowd. The xA is still part of the "pop craze" you so desperately need to distance yourself from.

I'm not trying to be a d!ck but do you need your car to reaffirm your individuality?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like to think of the car as my inner self, it's unique and I don't care if anyone else can see that just so long as I know it. Our cars (for most of us on this site) are our alter-egos, you drive the car because you feel that it most personifies yourself and should it need some mods then so be it, all the better to more closely reflect yourself.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your car can be an extension of your personality but if your car defines your personality then you probably don't have a good one to begin with.

Enough of that. Lets get this thread back on topic.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by lonestar

Do you think owning an xA makes you different? I see xA's everywhere. Buying the Scion that sells the least amount of cars doesn't reaffirm your great personality or set you apart from the crowd. The xA is still part of the "pop craze" you so desperately need to distance yourself from.

I'm not trying to be a d!ck but do you need your car to reaffirm your individuality?
No no, you are mistaken. I'm merely trying to explain my choice. The exclusivity of it merely kicked it over for me. I was always a fan of the xA's styling, the value for money, everything. The fact that it was unpopular was merely the extra push needed, if needed at all.

I do like to think that people buy cars that tell something about themselves, not define them. In that way, I thought the xA fit pretty much from Day One.

But yeah, enough of this existenialism stuff.

Let's get back to what the damn car is gonna look like!

-mC
Old 08-25-2006, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by turkus2
Originally Posted by lonestar

No no, you are mistaken. I'm merely trying to explain my choice. The exclusivity of it merely kicked it over for me. I was always a fan of the xA's styling, the value for money, everything. The fact that it was unpopular was merely the extra push needed, if needed at all.

I do like to think that people buy cars that tell something about themselves, not define them. In that way, I thought the xA fit pretty much from Day One.

-mC
agreed. ive always been a hatchback type of guy, cept for my 81 rabbit convertible that was almost as versatile with the top down. took a couch home from ikea in it once . i like practicality, durability, and versatility, with a dash of sportiness. all in a low-key package. that describes the xA to a "T".
Old 08-27-2006, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member

I, myself, bought my xA cuz of the pix I saw on the internet of the RS 1.0. I thought it was cool as hell and never in a million years did I think I could have actually fit in one. (I'm 6ft. tall) But, not only can I fit in one but I also can get my 4 dawgs in ( A Rotty, Boxer, and two Pits:NOT small dogs) another person, a gas grill bottle, AND groceries!!! Yes, this is NOT made up! Plus my xA gets looks wherever I go and ppl STILL ask me "what is that?". I LOVE my xA and I still excited to go for a burn in it!!!! I hope they don't ruin it when they "rework" it!!!!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

i hope te xa stays just like it is for another year....

im trading in the box in march, and if i cant get one like it is now, i dont know what ill get
Old 09-03-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCheesy
If it looks anything like this I'm glad I got an '06! Looks like a Aveo got tangled up with an HHR
from this angle. The other pic over at thehollywoodextra loks like the frontend of a Yaris.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member

Default Agreed...

the 2006 Scion xA looks better than the new "Ractis" possible-xA.

I don't have an xA but have been looking at them for months. I like the unique yet cool looking body style. All one has to do is add some nice rims from Pep Boys and this little car looks about 40% better. That's cheap-yet during my test drive of a 2006 Polar White Scion xA, 5-speeds, I felt like the little car was built very well.

Solid build quality, nice acceleration and great looks. Good stereo, too, one that invited further playing around with it's controls and graphic equalizing to get that "just right" sound to your Guess Who/Foghat tunes.

I guess I'd put it this way. As long as my 2001 Kia Sportage 4x4 with 118, 935 miles runs great like it is I'm not gonna trade it in. But I love this '06 xA just like it's built (you won't hear me complaining about the lack of cruise control offered-I don't want or need cruise control), I wouldn't want any option except for the arm rest(and I could just buy one off the net and install it myself). I'd just insist on some low-cost Pep Boys Proline alloys and get those right away.

Don't change the xA, Scion! Leave it alone, or, improve it so much we'll forget the present xA completely!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i dont like the "new gen" xA if it comes out like that
Old 09-04-2006, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont worry that website has been wrong about so many things since day 1, I highly doubt that the Ractis will be the new xA.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Agreed...

Originally Posted by xaPierre
The reason why I think the 2008 xA will go with a Ractis-derived model is 1) Toyota can use most of the body stampings used on the Ractis now and 2) the Ractis and the Yaris/JDM Vitz are essentially on the same platform, so the new 1.8-liter 132 ps (circa 128 bhp SAE 08/04 net) engine used on the Yaris TS sports hatchback arriving in Europe later this fall can be used on the new xA.

From the pictures I've seen on the Ractis' interior, it is a worthy competitor against the Honda Fit, especially since the back seat in the 2WD version folds forward to be flat against the floor just like Fit's seat. (The Ractis' rear seats does lack the Tall mode configuration, though I think Toyota might just modify it to correct this oversight. )
Old 09-12-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From everything Ive seen and heard, there will be a new rel series xA arriving. They are in the process of finalizing the color to reveal it. But it will come out to tie everyone over until the xD release in mid 07.

The xD was built fresh from the ground up on a larger platform with a larger engine so its looks are like nothing youve ever seen. It is the kind of vehicle that people are either gonna love or hate, just like they did with the xB. But trust me you will not be disappointed. The future is NOW.!.!. and SCION will lead the way.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Agreed...

Originally Posted by xaPierre

I don't have an xA but have been looking at them for months. I like the unique yet cool looking body style. All one has to do is add some nice rims from Pep Boys and this little car looks about 40% better.
im going to hunt down some old skool toyota tercel center caps and a set of 14" trim rings for the black steel wheels. the only scion wheel covers i even came close to liking were the 03-? "turbo-fan" style.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xA Rel ser 3.0

Scion xA Lim Rel 3.0 on it's way. in Stingray Metallic Light Blue(it's official)
- Uniquely Developed KenStyle Front and Rear Ground Effects
- Color Keyed Rear Spoiler
- Color Tuned Seaqt Fabric
- Release Series Wheel Covers
- Radar Intrusion sensor-equipped Scion Security
- XM Sat. Radio Tuner with Cover, Includes 3 months subscription
- Individually numbered xA release series badging

2100 to be made.
Expect them to start rollin in next month!!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:56 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: xA Rel ser 3.0

Originally Posted by nairod
Scion xA Lim Rel 3.0 on it's way. in Stingray Metallic Light Blue(it's official)
- Uniquely Developed KenStyle Front and Rear Ground Effects
- Color Keyed Rear Spoiler
- Color Tuned Seaqt Fabric
- Release Series Wheel Covers
- Radar Intrusion sensor-equipped Scion Security
- XM Sat. Radio Tuner with Cover, Includes 3 months subscription
- Individually numbered xA release series badging

2100 to be made.
Expect them to start rollin in next month!!!!
no sunroof? IMO, thats the only thing that makes the RS special. everything on that list can be added cheaper and likely better via the aftermarket.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member

I like the release series badging, the ground effects... but uh, its still disappointing. The xB got an absolutely killer pack and even the tC had some "ooh-la-la" with the alcantara seats. I'm disappointed, but not really. Now I don't feel so bad about picking mine up too soon and missing out on a sweet release series (i.e. one with a sunroof).

But hopefully it'll push a few more hundred people into getting our beloved xA!

-mC
Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tCheesy
looks like next gen Aveo...GAHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Future of the xA