Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Installed new water pump... Now ticking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Default Installed new water pump... Now ticking noise...

Let me just say I'm new to Toyota's and new cars in general. I usually work on old (70's-late 80's) trucks.... With that being said...

My girlfriend took her '09 xD to the dealership for a checkup right after her warranty expired. They never found anything wrong with it until then. They told us the water pump was going bad and wanted almost $700 bucks to replace it. I said forget that talk, I'll do it myself. So we ordered the new pump, and (no joking) the day it arrived she was driving back from class and sure enough the serpentine belt tore to shreds on her. We got it back and the water pump pulley was wobbly as all hell.

So after some bloody knuckles and a few choice words I installed the new pump and belt. I tightened the alternator belt adjuster to where it was on the old belt, and did the 90 degree turn trick for the tension.

Now, the problem I'm having is when I start it up, it will fire up, then act like it's going to die for a split second, then idle fine. I also noticed a ticking noise. I'm not sure if that was there before, because it's my girlfriends car and I don't drive it much.

So, would that "dying down" be the belt slipping on the alternator? Could the ticking noise be a bearing about to go? I think it's the fuel injectors and I can't pinpoint where it is coming from. Here is a link to what it sounds like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YXvPdDFV5E

Any help would be appreciated folks
Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know about the ticking noise, but the car almost dying and then the rpm's rising back up is the ecu resetting itself. Let it idle for a while or take it out for an easy drive and it will get back to normal. Just give it a little gas if it seems it is going to turn off when stopped.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:20 PM

Thank you Vulkinator. I went on an easy 15 min drive, and now it fires right up and idles perfect. The ticking went away also. Thanks again, everything seems good now...
Old 11-05-2012, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealer did the same thing to me. i took it to them for every oil change and the last one i went to them, the first out of warranty, they noticed my water pump leaking. They told me i should have it replaced quickly because it looks like it has been leaking for a while.

anyway, i bought my own water pump. how bad is it to change out?
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM

It's not too hard. The hardest part for me was working with in the small spacing. I dropped the engine, just to create more room for me to work with. I don't know if you need to do that or not. I should have done my own poor man's write up, but here's the link to the one I used:

http://clubsciontc.com/forums/diy-in...-21331/?page=2
(scroll down a bit)

You don't need any special tools. You might need a pipe to put over your ratchet for the pivot bolt on the alternator. Other than that it's pretty straight-forward. If you want me to list a step by step I will, just too lazy to right now.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks man! maybe over thanksgiving i can get this done.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Good deal... If you have any problems/questions let me know...
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your water pump hasnt failed already,it will. Luckily my xd came with an extended warranty which only requires a $50 deductible.i got them to waive that too by _____ing about it. Look at the underside of your hood and if you see a pink line from the toy antifreeze then your pump is going bad.
Not sure if the replacement water pumps are redesigned or not. Hope so.
Ive had cheaper cars that have over 200k on them and never needed a replacement pump. Im wondering if the belt is too tight and wears out the bushings prematurely.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hobojon
If your water pump hasnt failed already,it will. Luckily my xd came with an extended warranty which only requires a $50 deductible.i got them to waive that too by _____ing about it. Look at the underside of your hood and if you see a pink line from the toy antifreeze then your pump is going bad.
Not sure if the replacement water pumps are redesigned or not. Hope so.
Ive had cheaper cars that have over 200k on them and never needed a replacement pump. Im wondering if the belt is too tight and wears out the bushings prematurely.
When I installed my crank pulley, I over tightened my belt. It was ticking when I started the car. I turned off car then loosened it a little bit, and the noise stopped after that. The belt is still tight just not overly so. My 2008 has yet to need a pump or anything else. @60k
Old 12-01-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by TofferP
Good deal... If you have any problems/questions let me know...
Hi just registered (although Ive been lurking for a few years haha) and I had some questions. I was planning on replacing my water pump as well today. However, I shave a scion tc, does anyone have an idea of how different it may be? I'm assuming it'll basically be the same. Also, would you be able to post a more step by step instruction set? If not that's okay, Thanks in advance =]