Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Looking for advice before buying a xD

Old 02-26-2018, 02:47 PM
SL Member

Default Looking for advice before buying a xD

Hey Guys,

Im looking for some advice regarding possibly buying an xD. My wife's grandma is selling hers. I have done tons of research on the xD and I finally got to take it on a 30 minute test drive last weekend, and I have a few questions for you guys here on the forum.

Here are the details of the car:
08 xD.
40,300 miles.
No VSC/Traction Control
No accidents, just some minor body damage from her running into things in her apartment parking lot.
Parked outside, but under cover - at an apartment complex up until the last 8 months.
last 8 months parked outside no covering.
new tires at 36,000
new bat at 39,000
Interior overall good shape.

From the research I have done, I know that the water pump is a known issue and costly repair on this car, and prior to buying I plan to get the car looked over by a mechanic.

My main initial question/concern is that my wife's grandma was very good about getting her oil change every 5,000 miles. However because of how little she drove those 5,000 were at times anywhere from a year to a year and a half apart. Is there anything I need to be concerned about with the oil changes having been up to a year and a half apart? Or since she wasn't driving very much is that nothing to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. This seems to be a very helpful and active forum and I hope you guys can help shed some light on my concerns so that I can feel good and confident going into my purchase.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

If it's sat outside for 8 months without being driven, a brake job is almost certain.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:37 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by ey3ball
My main initial question/concern is that my wife's grandma was very good about getting her oil change every 5,000 miles. However because of how little she drove those 5,000 were at times anywhere from a year to a year and a half apart. Is there anything I need to be concerned about with the oil changes having been up to a year and a half apart? Or since she wasn't driving very much is that nothing to be concerned about?
It sounds like the car is in order and in good shape. I would not be concerned about the oil changes being up to a year and a half apart or a brake job needed.
I would have been concerned if she had neglected her oil changes.

MR_LUV

Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM
SL Member

Thanks for the responses. Does anyone else have anything to add. Hoping to make a decision this weekend or next weekend.