Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

My alternator stopped working on my way home yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My alternator stopped working on my way home yesterday.

I have a 08 auto no sound system or anything other than factor equipment to put strain on the alternator. Driving the car home and the battery light comes on, so I pull over just to check. The car running fine, battery is not loose and no belts snapped. So start driving again and the air cut off and I lose power steering good thing I wasn’t far from home. I get the car home engine was still running fine I knew once I shut the car off it wasn’t going to start again. Just like I thought once the car was off it won’t start again. The battery is good, power door lock, windows, lights and radio still work it just won’t start.
The car is only 3 years old how can the alternator be bad already? Good thing I have triple A and Toyota platinum service so the alternator is covered.

Anyone else have alternator issues or just my luck?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nope, never had alternator issues when i had my xD and i was pulling 1300 watts out of it on my sound system
Old 06-10-2011, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No alternator issues on this end either, I've had the car for a year and still using the stock audio system the xD came with. Might just be a faulty alternator for you.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not to like cause mass panic here but i know someone from scikotics who had his alternator burn out too.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any part can fail. The alternator in my Sprinter went out when it was about 3 or 4 years old... And that's a Mercedes!
Old 06-11-2011, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

funny enough mine just went out today too. well at least its on its way out. i had the light come on and took it to autozone they said the batterys fine it was the probably the alternator but they had no way to check it there and if it is no stores have it in stock and neither did the vendor. im taking it to the dealership in the morning and hoping for the best.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well it’s been 2 weeks and I still don’t have my car back!! The dealer said the part is on back order not sure if this is because so many of them are being replaced or a result of the tsunami that hit Japan. I have another car I can use so it’s not that bad but this is starting to get annoying. If you can’t get the part go take it off one of the new cars you have sitting in your lot don’t punish me for Toyota’s issues.
Kind of up ____s creek and not sure what I can do about it!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kris68
Well it’s been 2 weeks and I still don’t have my car back!! The dealer said the part is on back order not sure if this is because so many of them are being replaced or a result of the tsunami that hit Japan. I have another car I can use so it’s not that bad but this is starting to get annoying. If you can’t get the part go take it off one of the new cars you have sitting in your lot don’t punish me for Toyota’s issues.
Kind of up ____s creek and not sure what I can do about it!
If the vehicle is under warranty a rental should be provided. The xD is a low production Jap sourced vehicle so not many parts are kept on hand.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
If the vehicle is under warranty a rental should be provided. The xD is a low production Jap sourced vehicle so not many parts are kept on hand.
I doubt the alternator is unique to this car. I'm sure it's used in many other Toyota cars as well. More likely due to all the disruptions and confusion
going on in Japan, or the dealer just dropped the ball..
Old 06-25-2011, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealer just dropped the ball..
bingo.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=mikem53;3864793]I doubt the alternator is unique to this car. I'm sure it's used in many other Toyota cars as well. quote]

yeah thats what i thought too but turns out the xD alternator is only on the xD even though the matrix, corolla, and yaris all have the same engine.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=rude_xD;3865235]
Originally Posted by mikem53
I doubt the alternator is unique to this car. I'm sure it's used in many other Toyota cars as well. quote]

yeah thats what i thought too but turns out the xD alternator is only on the xD even though the matrix, corolla, and yaris all have the same engine.
Possibly because the xD is manufactured at a Daihatsu factory. The others cars you mentioned are assembled in the US. Just a though. Sucks to have to wait, but apparently a lot of people are in the same situation due to the Japan quake/tsunami.

You might be able to find an aftermarket alternator somewhere else. I doubt the dealership is going to purchase one that is not OEM, though. When the alternator went out in my Sprinter van, it was still under warranty, but I replaced it myself. Mainly because it would have been a pain to get it to the dealership (40 miles away) and get a ride back home, then wait a few days, and then arrange for another ride to pick it up. I just bought a new alternator for about $180 and installed it myself.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=rude_xD;3865235]
Originally Posted by mikem53
I doubt the alternator is unique to this car. I'm sure it's used in many other Toyota cars as well. quote]

Thats interesting.. I wonder whats unique about it for the xD.. maybe size or output?...
Old 07-16-2011, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member

My xD with 50k miles just had the alternator go out, $650 and the dealer needs to order...seems wrong to me.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=mikem53;3865780]
Originally Posted by rude_xD

Thats interesting.. I wonder whats unique about it for the xD.. maybe size or output?...
It actually also fits the 09-10 Corolla's with the 1.8 engine
Old 07-18-2011, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a car will run for a short time if the alternator stops working. car will run off the battery til it dies. the fact you still have power to everything tells me something else went wrong.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

$650 for an alternator...Holy *#@!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by YELOSUB
$650 for an alternator...Holy *#@!
Seems about right dealer prices are crazy high, might have been better off checking TRD sparks first.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by kris68
I have a 08 auto no sound system or anything other than factor equipment to put strain on the alternator. Driving the car home and the battery light comes on, so I pull over just to check. The car running fine, battery is not loose and no belts snapped. So start driving again and the air cut off and I lose power steering good thing I wasn’t far from home. I get the car home engine was still running fine I knew once I shut the car off it wasn’t going to start again. Just like I thought once the car was off it won’t start again. The battery is good, power door lock, windows, lights and radio still work it just won’t start.
The car is only 3 years old how can the alternator be bad already? Good thing I have triple A and Toyota platinum service so the alternator is covered.

Anyone else have alternator issues or just my luck?
You'll be happy to know you are not alone. Yesterday the same thing happened to me. Needless to say I am very disappointed to learn that this is an issue that has happened before. I used to be a happy scion owner I am not do much anymore. And if that $650 price I read is really. Scion will soon be out of my life. : (
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member

It is a fuse had the same problem while back. Its one of the fuses under the indash fuse panel.

Quick Reply: My alternator stopped working on my way home yesterday.