Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   New xD owner here... some questions.... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/new-xd-owner-here-some-questions-233402/)

GonzoScionXD1 01-10-2017 01:13 AM

New xD owner here... some questions....

Hey guys, picked up a used 09 with fairly low miles.

I had some questions, and apologies if (I'm sure) these have already been covered.

1. Does an 09 xD have or not have the anti-theft thing with the transponder built into the key? (As contrasted with keyless entry).

2. Does anyone make aftermarket sheet metal skid plates for the undercarriage? Snow and ice 'chunks' are a big thing when I visit Colorado and its a concern.

3. I hate the tire selection for the OEM size. Anyone running 205 55r 16s? What are the favorite all seasons; favorite snow tires?

Anyway, hello everyone.

DAlex 01-14-2017 06:16 PM

I'm running 205/55 R16 General Altimax Arctic snows right now, and the same size on my summer tires (mounted on alloys).

EvolvingGST 03-02-2017 01:46 AM

I read that only the tC are chipped.

LisawiththeXD 04-09-2017 05:31 AM

I was at Walmart today to have a couple of keys made. Their key making machine has a sensor that can tell if there's a chip in car's key. Are there more chips to worry about than the anti-theft immobilizer chip?

LisawiththeXD 04-09-2017 05:43 AM

GonzoScionXD1: Would the skid plates you're asking about be the thing that scrapes on everything when you park nose to the curb? I had it referred to as a rock guard. A big fat raccoon tore mine loose & our home repair only lasted 8 mos.

LisawiththeXD 04-09-2017 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by DAlex (Post 4179423)
I'm running 205/55 R16 General Altimax Arctic snows right now, and the same size on my summer tires (mounted on alloys).

Does the size 16 change the accuracy of the speedometer? My xD is unwilling to climb a slight incline with even a small amount of snow on the road with the nasty little all season tires on it now. Firm pressure on the gas will goad it up the drive so far but, it slid into a planter & cracked the rear bumper in the process. :(

LisawiththeXD 04-09-2017 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by GonzoScionXD1 (Post 4179336)
Hey guys, picked up a used 09 with fairly low miles.

I had some questions, and apologies if (I'm sure) these have already been covered.

1. Does an 09 xD have or not have the anti-theft thing with the transponder built into the key? (As contrasted with keyless entry).

2. Does anyone make aftermarket sheet metal skid plates for the undercarriage? Snow and ice 'chunks' are a big thing when I visit Colorado and its a concern.

3. I hate the tire selection for the OEM size. Anyone running 205 55r 16s? What are the favorite all seasons; favorite snow tires?

Anyway, hello everyone.

This appears to be plastic only. Might be worth getting a spare. There should be someone out there who would make these of something better than plastic!
2009 Scion xD Body Sheet Metal Parts - PartsGeek

DAlex 04-12-2017 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by LisawiththeXD (Post 4180611)
Does the size 16 change the accuracy of the speedometer? My xD is unwilling to climb a slight incline with even a small amount of snow on the road with the nasty little all season tires on it now. Firm pressure on the gas will goad it up the drive so far but, it slid into a planter & cracked the rear bumper in the process. :(

16 refers to the Wheel Diameter, 16". Summer tires work poorly in snow. All the traction control does is throttle you back when you spin, to nearly nothing. I generally turn mine off on snowy days, so I can get a bit of wheelspin to clear the snow out of the treads.

If you don't want to buy snow tires, stay home on snowy days.

JDiazJr2012 02-20-2018 02:02 PM

New or used rims

I just purchased a 2012 xD. I live in the North West, and want to get a set of dedicated snow tires. What would you recommend for winter driving? 2nd question is should I buy used 16 inch rims or go clean slate and buy new? Thank you.

DAlex 02-20-2018 11:45 PM

It depends what type of driving you will be doing. Here, we get a lot of rain as well as dry pavement between storms, and the General Altimax Arctics work well. If you get a lot of heavy, packed snow and don't mind a lot of tire whine, Firestones work well.
If you get a lot of ice, Nokians are good, but wear pretty quick.

If you buy used rims, keep in mind that the xD uses a fairly uncommon size. I believe that only a Subaru uses a similar rim. You could also look for a 15" rim, and go up on the profile size.

JDiazJr2012 02-21-2018 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by DAlex (Post 4285234)
It depends what type of driving you will be doing. Here, we get a lot of rain as well as dry pavement between storms, and the General Altimax Arctics work well. If you get a lot of heavy, packed snow and don't mind a lot of tire whine, Firestones work well. If you get a lot of ice, Nokians are good, but wear pretty quick.

If you buy used rims, keep in mind that the XD uses a fairly uncommon size. I believe that only a Subaru uses a similar rim. You could also look for a 15" rim, and go up on the profile size.

Thank you for your reply.
I had my eyes set on the Firestones, and where I live we get lots of powder. I found a set of Subaru time at Pull and save. So I may get those however I was tempted to get a different size for winter. Again thank you for your reply and advice.