Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   Tall driver in need of a lower xD seat (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/tall-driver-need-lower-xd-seat-203034/)

mcgoo 05-14-2011 05:58 PM

Tall driver in need of a lower xD seat

I have done a search on these forums but did not find much relevant information regarding this. I am 6'1", but with an abnormally long torso. Most vehicles require me to lower the seat height to lowest-near lowest levels to allow my head to not touch the vehicle's roofline. I really want an xD, but as of right now, I simply do not fit.

My next step is to stop here, to see if anyone has managed to find a respectable solution to the seat-height problems of the xD. From what I have researched, the problem appears to be a vehicle jack which is located underneath the front seat that would then have to be relocated somewhere else on the vehicle. I have no problems with that.

Possible solutions that I have found thus far:
1) Take vehicle to a machine shop and have the seat professionally modified to accommodate my height. This might interfere with my wife's ability to drive the vehicle as she is shorter than I am with a shorter-than-normal length torso.

2) Purchase different seats from Scion (tC? xB?)that include seat height adjustments and have them installed.

3) Purchase aftermarket seats that include seat height adjustments and have them installed.

4) Buy a Honda Fit instead.

Thoughts?

Has anyone actually successfully performed a seat height modification on an xD and is able to share their results?

speedy000 05-14-2011 08:31 PM

if u haz the cash racing seats r the way to go! not only do they look sick they r much lower than stock seats.

mcgoo 05-16-2011 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by speedy000 (Post 3840085)
if u haz the cash racing seats r the way to go! not only do they look sick they r much lower than stock seats.

The xD is the only car available that allows the owner to get milage, cargo room, style, a little bit of oomph, and (via trd) a factory setup that allows you to carve the road. I plan on spending a little cash for TRD suspension upgrades and could easily add in an extra 200-500 for a seat. My worry is how a lower seat will affect my wife's ability to see out. And no, I am not going to keep a few phone books in the car for that, lol.

1) If you would suggest racing seats, and I am amenable to that idea, which seats in particular have you found success with?

2) I know I can find seats online, but much like a car itself, I need to test drive seats. Do you know of any actual stores that sell seats where they can be tried-out first?

3) Lastly, do you know of any aftermarket seats that actually offer seat height adjustments?

JJGeneral1 05-16-2011 08:49 PM

really? I'm 6'6" and my head doesn't touch the roof (only when my hair gets over 2 inches long, and starts rubbing the roof, then I know I need a haircut)

I've never had the issue you have. And i got a full 5 inches on you. and probably some major weight on you, too (i'm currently at 325.3)

xDTool 05-17-2011 01:09 PM

just different proportion, im 6'3 and i dont have a real problem, but i do sit extremely high, and i'd like to be lower myself. been looking at a bunch of toyota OEM seats that sit lower. probablywont be long before i'm running seats from an SC3/400 or a supra with custom seat rails.

mcgoo 05-17-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by xDTool (Post 3841671)
just different proportion

This is the truth. My wife and I actually have the exact same length legs. It's fun to walk side by side as we always match steps and cadence. Yet, when I sit down at a table, whether it be at home, in a restaurant, or other, I am always the "tallest" person, at least while sitting. I see the tops of everyone's heads, even people that are far taller than I. Not only is it difficult to find a vehicle that fits appropriately, I find it difficult to find clothes that fit too.

hobojon 05-17-2011 08:55 PM

Get a different vehicle. Nothing special about an XD.

Occam 05-18-2011 12:08 AM

The Fit is terrific if you have a long torso, short legs. The legroom is paltry, but it's got a very high roof. I'm 6'1, but my proportions are opposite, which is why I have a tC now (lots of legroom, meh headroom) and traded the Fit.

mcbrew 05-18-2011 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by hobojon (Post 3841991)
Get a different vehicle. Nothing special about an XD.

I have to disagree a bit. My last car was a Golf, which has a decent amount of headroom in the front seat. Of course, it had height adjustment. My brother's Fit also has more headroom. I am 6'2" and I wish I could bump the seat down just a bit. I can often feel my hair brushing against the roof... and I that's the area where I don't have so much hair. I find the legroom to be fine, since I like to be up close a bit... not smushed against the steering wheel, but knees bent a little. I think this type of car should be driven that way. More of a seated position than a reclining position.

effse7en 05-18-2011 03:52 AM

I need my seat lowered a bit too. It's just too high to see out the front window properly while still having the rear view mirror in a usable position. As it stands, I can see about 200 yards or so behind me, and then i'm looking at the ground. I have to move the mirror up so I can see out of my front windshield, so it's at a weird angle. I use my side mirrors more than my rear view mirror.

CXTKRS1 05-18-2011 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by mcgoo (Post 3840969)
1) If you would suggest racing seats, and I am amenable to that idea, which seats in particular have you found success with?

2) I know I can find seats online, but much like a car itself, I need to test drive seats. Do you know of any actual stores that sell seats where they can be tried-out first?

3) Lastly, do you know of any aftermarket seats that actually offer seat height adjustments?

I would not go with TRD (well maybe the springs) but better parts for lower prices can be had else where.

1. Recaro

2. You can usually try out demos on the sales floor as a good after market shop should sale them. As for trying them out in a car, odds are a shop will let you return it if your not happy with the seat but they will probably hit you with a restocking fee.

3. See number 1.

IMO buy something else, it is not worth the extra hassle and cost. The xD is a nice car but vehicles just as good (if not better) can be had from other brands..I recommend you checkout the Ford Fiesta.

xDTool 05-18-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1 (Post 3842316)
IMO buy something else, it is not worth the extra hassle and cost. The xD is a nice car but vehicles just as good (if not better) can be had from other brands..I recommend you checkout the Ford Fiesta.

guess it depends on what you want really. for me the xD's price points and its standard features arent matched by much (maybe the cube/fiesta, i havnt checked up on these because when i bought my car they werent on the market)

but i mean, the xd you finance out about 16k depending on your down payment where as with a fit i would have had to finance nearly 20 for a sport model to get the same standard features....... id rather put 16k on a loan and buy a pair of really nice seats for 1-2k out of pocket than finance the extra 4k.

recaros touring seats are amazing, my buddy has an oldschool recaro idealseat from the 80s in his EF civic, easily the most comfortable seat i've ever sat in.

CXTKRS1 05-18-2011 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by xDTool (Post 3842347)
guess it depends on what you want really. for me the xD's price points and its standard features arent matched by much (maybe the cube/fiesta, i havnt checked up on these because when i bought my car they werent on the market)

The Cube was just being released when I purchased my car and a lot of dealers were price gouging the hell out of people for them so I did not even bother looking. I will say though the Fiesta is a nice car especially the interior and six speed. If I had to do it over again right now I don't I could buy an xD over a Fiesta.

hobojon 05-18-2011 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by mcbrew (Post 3842189)
I have to disagree a bit. My last car was a Golf, which has a decent amount of headroom in the front seat. Of course, it had height adjustment. My brother's Fit also has more headroom. I am 6'2" and I wish I could bump the seat down just a bit. I can often feel my hair brushing against the roof... and I that's the area where I don't have so much hair. I find the legroom to be fine, since I like to be up close a bit... not smushed against the steering wheel, but knees bent a little. I think this type of car should be driven that way. More of a seated position than a reclining position.

Was there a point you were trying to make?

mcgoo 05-25-2011 08:30 PM

I just went to a Scion dealer to specifically talk to them about the seat issue and to yet again sit in it "just to make sure". Yes, I do fit without touching the roof, but it has to be with no hat on and I have to be having a good-hair-day. I also am plagued with the rear-view mirror issues that another poster suggested. The dealer said they wouild look into it, but honestly, they really weren't that worked up to help a "potential" buyer. I don't blame them either, I wouldn't want to help someone in my situation if I worked there. Where is the benefit, the reward?

I have considered the xB and would absolutley LOVE the room, but the lower fuel economy is a real turn off.

I will still be trying the Fit and the Fiesta in the future. The FIt (from what I have read) does not have a seat height adjustment, so I am not crossing my fingers there. If it works height-wise, it might be a winner with all of the utility it can offer.
The Fiesta is a contender, but the much smaller overall utility with the hatch size is a turn off. The Fiesta's sister, the Mazda 2, DOES indeed fit me. In fact, it fits my head better than a Mazda 3. There is more potential front head room in the 2. I have tested drien this as well and I can say that it is a VERY fun car to drive. But, to buy that, I would be sacrificing the desired utility of the cargo space that other vehicles off, as well as a rather paltry interior. Not a bad interior, just paltry when compared to what else is out there.

I also just stumbled upon the 2012 Accent/Rio5 and am very very eager to get in the driver's seat of one of the hatchback versions. I can't wait for them to arrive at nearby dealers! http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ook/index.html The Hyundai looks amazing, better than the Fiesta in my opinion, has a nearly-Fit-sized interior cargo area, Fiesta quality interior styling, and top of the line mileage. *crossing my fingers*

mikem53 05-26-2011 01:09 AM

Do yourself a favor and buy one that fits you.
Altering the seat will compromise the driving position
of everything else.. I would get something that is a better fit..
I'm 6'3 and fit fine.. a little more legroom would be nice.. but not bad..

isomswim 05-26-2011 07:10 PM

I currently have an Xb and the seat height option is great as my wife and I are about a one foot difference. I'm 6'3". We should be getting a XD very soon. Its going to be her car so I prolly wont ever drive it. As far as fuel economy goes, it will get up 30mpg on hwy but thats the discussion here.

I say stay with scion/ toyota seats that will adjust height.

mcbrew 06-05-2011 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by hobojon (Post 3842701)
Was there a point you were trying to make?

Probably.

XIEmperorIX 06-05-2011 03:24 AM

If you are that hooked on the Xd, maybe look into aftermarket seat rails and have them modified to fit the stock seats if neccessary..aftermarket rails sometimes sit a little lower than stock..or you.could have custom brackets made

Leitzout 09-02-2017 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1 (Post 3841237)
really? I'm 6'6" and my head doesn't touch the roof (only when my hair gets over 2 inches long, and starts rubbing the roof, then I know I need a haircut)

I've never had the issue you have. And i got a full 5 inches on you. and probably some major weight on you, too (i'm currently at 325.3)

Seriously? With an xD not xB?

Im 6'6" 250lb and my shoulder could almost touch the ceiling in our xD if I sit up straight. To sit relatively comfortable, I have to recline enough that I can see out the rear left window in my peripheral.

I know now with a friend who had an xB who was 6'10" could sit up comfortably though.