Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Very worried about potential of my car needing huge repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM

Default Very worried about potential of my car needing huge repair

I drive an 08 Xd and it has approx 85-90k.

So Wednesday my car made a funny noise like. To me, it sounded like when you put something in the blade of a fan, or a bike spoke, and it makes a clocking sound when it turns. It wasn't overly loud, and it wasn't driving badly at all so I didn't think much of it. Last night on the way home from work (maybe 40 miles driven some I heard the nose first), it made a really loud whirring noise so I pulled over really quick and looked at the engine.

I couldn't see anything wrong and so I started the car and the whirring noise died down. I drove right to my dad's house for him to check. I shut the car off. Then I restarted it for him to listen and it started right up work the Loud noise again. I turned off the AC and fans and the noise died down to barely noticeable. He couldn't figure out what was wrong so I dropped it off at my mechanic. It ran totally fine, hardly any noise to be heard, and no signs the engine was struggling.

This morning, my mechanic said it won't even run at all. He hasn't taken it apart yet but he said he thinks it could be the timing chain or something related. He says that is NOT good at all, but that he doesn't have a lot of experience with those chains and that he wasn't sure.

I am freaking out because I have only owned this car just shy of 3 years, still have 2 years to pay. I can't afford to replace the engine or the car right now! Does anyone have any experience with this?