Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   Warranty? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/warranty-141977/)

cdyerkes 07-17-2008 03:41 PM

Warranty?

Hi, my knowledge about the xD warranty is a little limited. I know it is good, but what does it entail in terms of length of activity (how many months/miles?)?

I have read people talking about an extended warranty. Is getting one worth it and how much does it cover? Where do you buy one?

Thank you. This forum has been very helpful to me.

kris68 07-18-2008 01:22 PM

I got the extended warranty when I bought the car and it was 1200 or 1400. Its 6 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first. Its basically only covers the major parts engine, trans ect. Other stuff like brakes, suspension ect are not covered. The tricky part is that if something did happen like you blow an engine or trans at 80,000 miles you will have to prove you did proper maintenance to the car. So keep all your records if you do the work your self keep the receipts and write down the date and the mileage on the receipt. Also if you do mods to your car depending on what it is it might void you warranty so think about what you’re putting on the car. It’s up to you if it’s worth it. it’s more for the piece of mind a safety blanket in case something major goes wrong.
The extended warranty comes from Toyota you can go through a dealer or to this site
http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consu...eProtectionPla

IntegreS_350 07-18-2008 01:25 PM

For all Toyota/Scion, the warranty is :

Basic Coverage: All components other than normal wear and maintenance items are covered for 36 months/36,000 miles,whichever comes first.

Powertrain Coverage: Your engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel drive, seatbelts and air bags are covered for 60 months/60,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Coverage for corrosion perforation is 5 years, regardless of mileage.
Restraint systems are covered for 5 years/60,000 miles.

Some items such as tires, normal wear and tear items, damage from road debris, and maintenance are not covered by warranty.

As for extended warranties, you would purchase one at a dealer-- Dealers can sell whatever brand extended warranty they wish, but the Toyota brand (Its actually through Toyota Financial Services) is called Xtra-Care.
I know some extended warranties can cost about $1000 (around there) and with some, you still have to pay deductibles--
but that's the extent of my knowledge on extended warranties!

Pirate 07-19-2008 01:10 AM

I've purchased corporate warranties before. It's a crap shoot and a risk on both sides. The dealership/manufacturer hopes you never have to use them and in a way, so do you :rofl:

On the other hand, they're great to have if as stated, something major goes wrong.

I've purchased Toyota and Volvo warranties and both have been excellent. I picked up a Toyota warranty on an 85 4Runner I purchased used from a local dealer. Within 6 months, the engine took a dump:(

Without question the dealer replaced it (after a simple and routine inspection).

As the previous poster states, some dealerships will try to nickle and dime you over warranty work and find any reason in th world to try NOT to honor it.

On the other hand, some as I mentioned, will honor it without question.

My local Volvo dealer where we purchased the wifes S80, initially gave her some static about some warranty work, claiming a part was "asthetic" vs. a "safety item?"

We couldn't seem to reach an understanding with the service manager so...we had a little come to Jesus (and a chat with corporate) and all was good with the world. Since then, we've had no issues whatsoever :rofl:

I'd stay away from most aftermarket warranties, you know, the one that you get in the mail calling you by first name and "warning" you that your warranty (that expired 2 years ago :rofl: ) is about to run out :nails:

You can run into real problems with places honoring them (or refusing to).

You also might check your bank, credit union, or car buying service (auto club, etc). Many times they can get the factory extended warranty at a reduced price over dealer pricing simply because the dealer see's it as a profit item. The credit unions especially, not so much so.

Finally, if you have concerns, I'd suggest you ask around. Talk to other Toyota/Scion owners and see if they've been happy or unhappy with a particular dealers warranty actions. Call the local BBB/Chamber of Commerce, GOOGLE search for complaints and possibly even call Toyota corporate (not sure what they'd tell you though?). You can also check the civil court records in the county where the dealership(s) are located, for lawsuits, civil actions and other complaints (even discharged suits).

Depending on the use and mileage you intend to use your car, I'd consider it.

I'll likely wait until I'm 1/5 or better through my factory warranty before purchasing the extended. Then again, maybe not?

Hope some of the above helps?

G

Moose 07-19-2008 02:44 PM

I bought for my xD $745 7 year 100,000 mile $0 Ded. Toyota Platinum; Receipt came from Toyota of Greenfield; warranty came directly from Toyota.

http://www.factorydiscountwarranty.com/

My e-mail reply from Quick Quote:

Here is all the basic info and quote:

I am currently offering the Toyota Platinum 7 yr / 100,000 mile Extra Care
plan w/ $0 deductible for $745.00 on the Scion xD, which is the longest plan
available in both years and mileage.

Most of the details on the Extra Care plans can be found directly at
Toyota's website at the following link, including all the various terms and
options available, just let me know if you would like a quote on a different
plan.

http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consu...ProtectionPlan

Here are the purchase instructions if / when you decide to purchase.

I would need you to mail me an original signed letter indicating the exact
current mileage on your vehicle, and a copy of your current registration.(If
you are in a state where you don't get your state registration right away, I
can also use a copy of the bill of sale, purchase contract, or some other
official document which shows the owners name and address, along with the
vehicles VIN)

Sorry, I know its a little inconvenient, but its the only way we could come
up to cover ourselves on the mileage and VIN verification. After I receive
your letter, I can call you for credit card info, if that's how you choose
to pay, or you can include a check, money order, or the credit card info
with it. Also, make sure that the registration copy is legible (I have
gotten a couple of them recently that I couldn't read or had part of the VIN
chopped off on the copy).

Mail to:

Toyota of Greenfield
12 Olive Street
Greenfield, MA 01301

Attn: Troy Dietrich

Phone - (413) 772-0231 (Dealership)
Phone - (413) 772-0989 (My direct line).
Fax - (413) 774-2247

Thanks,

Troy

Platinum Coverage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our highest level of extended service coverage for virtually every component group in your vehicle. Coverage terms range from 3 years/50,000 total vehicle miles to 7 years/100,000 total vehicle miles.

Why choose Platinum
Consider this coverage if your vehicle is less than 3 years old and has fewer than 36,000 total vehicle miles.
We’ll provide unlimited towing reimbursement to the nearest Toyota dealership.
You’ll be reimbursed $50 per day for a maximum of five days per occurrence.
If you’re more than 150 miles from home, we’ll cover $100 of your meals and lodging per day for a maximum of five days over the life of the agreement.
If you sell your vehicle, the remaining coverage may be transferable, helping to enhance your vehicle’s resale value. Transferability is limited to one time only.

Find a Toyota Extra Care plan that ensures your new Toyota's systems and components are covered at a level of protection that's right for your vehicle and driving needs.

Note: The Following list of covered components are provided as examples for comparison to the Gold and Powertrain coverage's.

Platinum protection covers virtually all components on new vehicles. If your new vehicle's component does not appear on our List of Excluded Components, it is covered by Platinum protection.

List of Excluded Components

Accessory Drive Belts, Batteries, Body Panels, Brake Linings, Pads and Shoes, Bumpers, Carpet, Chrome, Clutch Friction Disk and Pressure Plate, Dash Cover and Pad, Door Trim, Handles and Fabric, Filters, Fluids, Glass (including Windshield), Headliner, Heating Hoses, Lines and Tubes, Hinges, Hybrid System Main Relays, Hybrid Vehicle Battery, Hybrid Vehicle Battery Module/Pack, Hoses, Interior and Exterior Trim Moldings, including but not limited to, Cup Holders, Ashtrays, Covers, and Vents, Lamps, Light Bulbs, Nuts, Bolts, Clips, Retainers and Fasteners, Paint, Rotors and Drums, Rust and Corrosion Damage, Seat Covers, Service Plug, Shiny Metals, Spark Plugs, Structural Framework and Wells, Tires, Vacuum, Weather Stripping, Wheels and Rims, Windshield Wiper Blades (Rubber Component)

Covered Components

Air Conditioning/Heating

Air Conditioning Lines & Tubes, A/C Pressure Switches, Air Temperature Control Programmer, Blower Motor, Blower Motor Resistor, Compressor, Compressor Clutch Assembly, Compressor Pulley, Condenser, Condenser Fan and Motor, Cooler Control Switch, Cooler Unit, Damper Servo, Defroster Control Cable, Evaporator, Evaporator Temperature Sensor, Expansion Valve, Heater Control Head, Heater Control Valve, Heater Core, Idler Pulley, Pressure Regulator Assembly, Receiver/Dryer, Schrader Valve, Seals and Gaskets

Automatic Transmission

Transfer Case Components (All internally lubricated components) and:
Hoses, Lines and Tubes, Seals and Gaskets, Shift Linkage and Cables, Solenoids, Torque Converter, Transfer/Transmission Case, Transmission Mounts, Vacuum Modulator

Axle Assembly

4 x 4 Actuators, Axles and Bearings, Center Support Bearing, Constant Velocity Joints and Boots, Differential Carrier Assembly, Drive Axle Housing, Drive Shaft, Front Drive Shift Lever Knob, Hubs, Locking Hubs, Seals and Gaskets, Thrust Washers, Universal Joints, Viscous Coupling

Brake

Anti-Lock Braking/Traction Control Actuator, Pump and motor, Brake Booster, Brake Hoses, Lines & Tubes, Brake Pedal Subassembly, Disc Brake Calipers, Load-Sensing Proportioning Valve, Master Cylinder, Parking Brake Cable, Parking Brake Control Handle Assembly, Parking Brake Lever Subassembly, Parking Brake Pedal Subassembly, Proportioning Valve, Rear Brake Backing Plate, Seals and Gaskets, Wheel Cylinder

Computers and Electronics

Air Bag Sensors, Antenna Cord, Anti-Lock Braking/Traction Control Computer and Sensors, Automatic Shoulder Belt Computer, Circuit Opening Relay, Compact Disk (CD) Player, Cruise Control Computer, Drivers Side & Passenger Side Air Bags, Electronic Ignition Unit, Electronically Controlled Transmission/ Transfer Case Computer and Sensors, Electronically Modulated Suspension Computer, Engine Control Computer, Front Seat Air Bag Assembly, Graphic Equalizer, Knock Sensor, Navigation System, Power Mirror ECU, Power Seat Computer, Progressive Power Steering Computer, Radio Tuner, Side Impact Air Bag, Steering Sensor, Stereo Component Amplifier, Sunroof Control Computer and Relay, Tape Player, Tilt/Telescoping, Steering Computer, Traction Control Computer, Trip Computer, Variable Induction System, Vehicle Security Computer and Sensors, Wiper Module

Cooling System

Coolant Level Sensor/Tank, Cooling Fan Relay, Cooling Fan Sensor, Engine Coolant Temperature Switch or Sensor (at radiator), Engine Cooling Fan Motor, Engine Fan, Engine Fan Clutch, Engine Fan Motor, Engine Fan Shroud, Equipment Drive Pulley, Fan Bracket Subassembly, Radiator, Radiator Fan Relay, Seals and Gaskets, Thermostat

Electrical

Alternator, Automatic-Off Headlamp Sensor, Timer and Switches, Automatic Shoulder Belt Motor and Switches, Automatic Temperature Control Unit, Back-up Light Assembly, Back-up Light Switch, Battery to Ground Cable, Battery to Starter Cable, Blower Motor, Blower Motor Resistor, Charge Warning Relay, Clutch Starter Interlock Switch, Convertible Top Motor, Cruise Control Actuator/Servo, Cruise Control Sensors and Switches, Cruise Control Vacuum Motor, Defogger Relay, Distributor, Door Control Relay, Engine Coolant Temperature Gauge and Sending Unit, Engine Coolant Temperature Receiver Gauge and Sending Unit, Engine Cooling Fan Motor, Engine Tachometer, Fog Light Assembly, Fuel Gauge and Sending Unit, Fuel Receiver Gauge and Sending Unit, Guide Rail Limit Switch, Headlight Control Relay, Headlamp Washer, Horn, Horn (for theft deterrent), Ignition Coil, Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder and Key Set, Integration Relay, Lamp Failure Indicator Sensor, License Plate Light Assembly, Lock Cylinder Set, Main Relay, Manually Operated Switches, Oil Pressure Receiver Gauge, Sending Unit Guage, and Sending Unit, Power Antenna Motor and Cable, Power Door Lock Actuator, Power Mirror Defogger, Power Mirror Motor, Power Seat Motors, Power Sliding Door Motor, Power Window Motor/Regulator, Rear Shock Absorber Control Actuator, Retractable Headlamp Motor, Shoulder Belt Drive Motor, Side Marker Light Assembly, Spark Plug Resistive Cord, Speedometer, Starter Motor, Starter Solenoid, Sunroof Cables, Sunroof Motor, Taillight Control Relay, Turn Signal Flasher, Turn Signal Light Assembly, Unlock Warning Buzzer, Windshield Washer Pump, Windshield Wiper Link Assembly, Wiper Control Relay, Wiper Motor, Wiring Harnesses

Engine

All internally lubricated components and:
Air Control Valve (ACV), Air Pump, Balance Shaft, Belt Tensioner ?
Camshaft, Crankshaft, Crankshaft Pulley, Crankcase Ventilation Valve, Cylinder Heads, Engine Block, Engine Mounts, Engine Oil Reservoir, Engine Oil Reservoir Pump, Equipment Drive Shaft, Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve, Exhaust Manifolds, Exhaust Manifold Heat Insulator, Exhaust Pipe Gasket, Flexplate, Flywheel, Idler Pulley, Intake Manifold, Intake Air Control Valve (IACV), Mixture Control Valve, Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Bracket Subassembly, Oil Pan, Oil Pressure Switch, Oil Pump, Oil Sending Unit, Pair Valve (Reed Valve), Piston, Rotary Engine components including: Apex Seals; Bearings; Eccentric Shaft; Rotor, Seals and Gaskets, Supercharger, Supercharger Bypass Valve, Supercharger Intercooler, Supercharger Relay, Tensioners, Thermal Vacuum Valve, Thermostatic Valve, Three-way Catalyst Converter Timing Belt, Timing Belt Idler, Timing Chain, Timing Cover, Timing Gears, Turbo Intercooler, Turbo Wastegate, Turbocharger, Vacuum Switch, Vacuum Switching Valve, Vacuum Transmitting Valve, Valve Covers, Water Pump

Fuel System

Air Flow Meter, Carburetor, Charcoal Canister, Diesel Fuel Injection Pump, Electronic Fuel Injection System, Electric Fuel Pump, Fuel Filler Opening Lid Hinge Spring, Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Pump, Fuel Sensors, Fuel Sending Unit, Fuel Tank, Throttle Body

Hybrid Components

Battery Current Sensor, Battery Electronic Sensor, Battery Electronic Control Unit/Module, Battery Thermistor, Blower Assembly, Blower Cooling Fan, Blower Motor Control, Circuit Breaker Sensor, Combination Meter, Electric Power Steering ECU, Engine Control Module (ECM), HV Battery Cooling System, Hybrid Vehicle Electronic, Control Unit (ECU)/Control Module, Hybrid Vehicle Generator Assembly, Hybrid Vehicle Motor Assembly, Hybrid Vehicle Transaxle Assembly, Inverter Assembly with Converter, Meter ECU, Parking Switch, Power Source Control ECU, Shift Control Actuator, Shift Position Sensor, Skid Control ECU, Smart Entry and Start System, Steering Column, Steering Link Assembly, Stop Light Switch, Transmission Control ECU, Transmission Damper Assembly

Manual Transmission

Transfer Case Components (All internally lubricated components) and:
Clutch Master Cylinder, Clutch Pedal Subassembly, Clutch Release Cylinder, Position Indicator Subassembly, Gears and Shafts, Hoses, Lines & Tubes, Master Cylinder Reservoir, Radial Ball Bearing (for Clutch Release) and/or Clutch Fork, Seals and Gaskets, Shift Lever Boot and/or Retainer, Shift Lever Knob, Shift Lever Subassembly, Shift Linkage and Cables, Transmission Mounts, Transfer/Transmission Case

Steering

Gear Box internal components and:
Bushings/Bearings, Center Link, Hoses, Lines and Tubes, Horn Contact Ring, Idler Arm, Knuckle Stopper Cover, Pitman Arm, Power Steering Pump, Power Steering Pump Pulley, Rack-and-Pinion, Seals and Gaskets, Steering Column, Steering Column Coupling, Steering Column Shaft, Steering Dampener, Steering Gear Box and Pump Housing, Tie Rod End

Suspension

(Front and Rear):
Bushings/Bearings, Control Arm Shafts, Electronic Modulated Suspension Actuator/Motor and Compressor, Front and Rear Coil Springs, Front and Rear Stabilizer Bar, Front Leading Arm, Front Spring Assembly, Front Spring Shackle, Radius Arm, Spindle, Spindle Support, Steering Knuckle, Strut Rod, Sway Bar Link, Torsion Bar Spring, Upper and Lower Ball Joints, Upper and Lower Control Arms, Upper Arm Shaft

Additional Components

Accelerator Pedal and/or Bracket Subassembly, Accelerator Pedal Rod Assembly, Back Door Lock Assembly, Convertible Roof Hook, Door Lock Cylinder, Front and Rear Door Lock Assembly, Front Seat Belt, Glove Compartment Door Lock Cylinder, Glove Compartment Door Subassembly, Hood Lock Assembly, Hood Lock Control Cable Assembly, Hood Support Assembly, Rear Seat Belt, Reclining Seat Back Adjuster, Removable Roof Lock Handle, Seat Track Assembly, Shoulder Belt Guide Rail Assembly, Sliding Roof Drive Cable, Sliding Roof Guide Rail, Tail Gate Lock Assembly, Tilt Roof Lock Handle Assembly

Pirate 07-22-2008 11:55 AM

Not a bad deal :)

My local dealer wants around $1200.00 for the same plan :eyebrow:

xravexboix 07-26-2008 09:19 PM

Dealers don't mind if a car breaks down under warranty =P The warranty company reimburses the dealer for the work performed. It's just a hassle to call for approval before begining work (with a few of the extended warranty providers).

An extended warranty is simply a gamble to say your will have more warranty work done (dollar wise) than the price you paid for it.

On my Solara, I didn't get the extended warranty and I won. I only had 1 warranty issue the whole life of the car (fog lamp condensation).

On my 4Runner, the parts are DAMN expensive, so I bought the extended warranty. The air conditioning controller is already $800... so if that goes out, I win (I guess?). But my gamble hasn't started yet since it's still in its baby miles.

Pirate 07-27-2008 12:28 PM

Dealers don't mind if a car breaks down under warranty =P The warranty company reimburses the dealer for the work performed. It's just a hassle to call for approval before begining work (with a few of the extended warranty providers).
I'm assuming that you work for a dealership?

Any idea what the warranty company pays for labor rates? Is it different than the what the average joe pays for the same labor?

The reason I ask is, warranty companies are for the most part, insurance companies. Having worked around insurance companies for the last 18 years, I know they do everything in thier power to reduce thier cost. Look at your medical insurance for example. They are only interested in cost not quality :tap:

Thats NOT a slam on the quality of the service work BTW :no: It's just to say that if the costs are cut, then the dealership would certainly rather have the average joe coming in for unwarrantied service work than warrantied, right?

An extended warranty is simply a gamble to say your will have more warranty work done (dollar wise) than the price you paid for it.
That's exactly what I said:)

I did the same thing. Bought a used 4-runner WITH the extended warranty package. A few months later... a new engine...under warranty! :clap:

Bought a FORD Taurus SHO...wife pitched a fit about the warranty ($1500.00) so I aquiesed and did not buy it.

4 months and approximatelty $4000.00 later....yeah! That was a good move :nope: :doh:

Later purchased a late model Crown Vic...still under warranty. Worked fine. Just before the "factory warranty" ran out, I purchaed Fords extended warranty :clap:

AC/Radio/headlight controls, Intake manifold.....yep......now that's the way to do it! :bow:

cdyerkes 07-28-2008 05:12 PM

Wow. That platinum sounds good.

Can I wait to by the extended warranty? Or do I have to buy it right when I get my car?

Thanks for all the info.

xravexboix 07-28-2008 06:23 PM

You can usually get the extended warranty before your vehicle leaves the 3/36,000 mile mark "bumper to bumper" warranty.

Dealers get paid what the market labor rate in the area is. A survey is taken of other dealerships of the same make, in addition to aftermarket repair shops and other make dealerships. An average is then drawn and compared to the "customer pay" rate at the dealer and the rate is created.

I guess you can say it's better for the dealership if someone pays out of pocket, but it's one of those "I didn't have to sell the repair, just get an OK for it" type of deals.

Pirate 07-28-2008 09:01 PM

xravexboix, thanks for the explanation regarding the computation of l;abor rates on warranty work. Pretty much what I figured.

Warranties are a crap shoot on both sides. Dealership/warranty company hoping you won't need it, you hoping you won't need it either but happy if you do:)

And you're right. As in the case of my Ford, I was able to purchase the warranty right up to the max of the factory warranty.

Some aftermarket warranties (*BEWARE!! *BEWARE!! *BEWARE!!) did I mention to BEWARE!?, will actually sell you an extended warranty up to 100k or I think it's 10 years.

But again, I'd be very leary of them.

Cylon_xD 08-08-2008 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pirate
Not a bad deal :)

My local dealer wants around $1200.00 for the same plan :eyebrow:

Wow.., I bought that 100,000 mile platinum extended warranty when I purchased my xD back in April, and the dealer in my area only charged $700 for it... seems like there's a big difference in pricing in different areas of the country... I wish I would have waited to purchase it closer to the expiration of the factory warranty, though, I could have used the extra cash now to add more mods on the car, lol!!

crawlgsx 08-09-2008 03:17 PM

I also got the $700 100k mile warranty. the difference is they have ones above that, they do not extend the years/mileage but rather come with other benefits.