Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Where to mount your GPS?

Old 12-30-2010, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Where to mount your GPS?

Anyone found a suitable place to mount a GPS?
It seems the windshield is too far away and there's not enough smooth plastic on the dash to mount the suction cup.
On the windshield next to the rear view mirror is sorta ok, but the power wire hanging down bothers me.
Any other ideas or gizmos that will work??
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ddc1965
Anyone found a suitable place to mount a GPS?
It seems the windshield is too far away and there's not enough smooth plastic on the dash to mount the suction cup.
On the windshield next to the rear view mirror is sorta ok, but the power wire hanging down bothers me.
Any other ideas or gizmos that will work??
I mount mine using the suction underneath the thermostat controls, theres a large section of nice flat plastic trim there, directly above the cup holders in the front

its my normal practice to use the driver side cup holder for my phone, passenger side for my drink and make the passenger use the kick out cup holder by the passenger a/c vent so i hang it right above the driver side cup holder, doesnt interfere at all then i just angle it up so peeking down gives a perfect view
Old 12-30-2010, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right in the very bottom center of the windshield ftw
Old 12-31-2010, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you xDTool. That worked most excellently!!
(except I put it on the passenger's side cause I felt like it would interfere with my shifting into first gear)
Old 01-07-2011, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You would love to see my windshield. it's amazing i can see out. I have a 16" lightbar suction cupped on the center lower part of my windshield (6 suction cups, 2 "triangle" style mounts with 3 cups each above it). behind the rear view mirror i have my ez pass for turnpike tolls. i have my GPS by my stickers in the lower left. ipod sits in cup holder driver side, controller for 3 million color interior led kit sits in passenger cup holder. Oh and I have a huge sticker across the top outside of my windshield that reads "STATION 15 FIRE POLICE" that runs from end to end of windshield. It's about 3 inches tall letters. I'll have to take a picture of it all sometime from inside. LOL!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

invest in a bean bag friction mount

no stains. stays in place. fair price. etc etc
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
SL Member

most gps units come with a smooth plastic disk with sticky tape on one side. stick it where ever you wish on the dash. mine is just to the right of the dash, works well.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cigardave
most gps units come with a smooth plastic disk with sticky tape on one side. stick it where ever you wish on the dash. mine is just to the right of the dash, works well.
this is true, unfortunately that thing is a huge eyesore when the gps is not mounted to it, and i only mount mine on trips that i need it, so for people like me thats not really an option.

Originally Posted by lostxD
invest in a bean bag friction mount

no stains. stays in place. fair price. etc etc
bean bag mounts are pretty slick, my dad has one on his garmin and seems to work like a charm in his tundra and altima coupe. definitly a good option if youre willing to invest in one, for the price its a pretty good investment.

I'm still extremely happy with the spot i have mine at, out of the way, and i like not having extra junk like gps's on my dash. but i can understand that some people like having their gps's closer to eye level or their gauge range.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I keep trying to mount mine where xDTool mounts his. Idk if I have a bad suction cup or what but it wont stay even after cleaning the surface and cup. I heard adding hair spray to the cup works so I may try that next.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheJonas53
I keep trying to mount mine where xDTool mounts his. Idk if I have a bad suction cup or what but it wont stay even after cleaning the surface and cup. I heard adding hair spray to the cup works so I may try that next.

believe it or not, licking the cup helps it stick. saliva. many firefighters do it who have "dash window mount" lights.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
believe it or not, licking the cup helps it stick. saliva. many firefighters do it who have "dash window mount" lights.
Did that. No luck. I may just take the suction cup off and double side tape the mount where I want it.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheJonas53
Did that. No luck. I may just take the suction cup off and double side tape the mount where I want it.
always a good possible alternative. I've had no problems getting mine to stick with the provided suction cup for my tomtom, though it has fallen occasionally on ridiculously hard, unseen bumps that you get once in a while when traveling
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We use this one:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAQ#ps-sellers
Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could also try velcro instead of sticky tape. Haven't tried it myself but at least it would be removable when not needed.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats actually pretty brilliant, now only if they left you a pocket big enough for a phone or wallet, id probably get one

Originally Posted by Davestoaster
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mount mine in the bottom left corner of my windshield. I was thinking about getting a friction mount for the middle of the dash right behind the CD player. Having it in the bottom left corner allows me to see everything around me without creating a blind spot, and I can run the charging cable without it being a nuisance.

A little steam might help it stick, too. The whole licking idea is kinda gross IMHO. Something about having random gps suction rings all around the windshield is kinda....unpleasant. lol
Old 02-09-2011, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I mount mine to the center air vent passanger side. Works great no problems for the past year but i think it only works on Tom Tom gps see the link.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Arkon+-+...=1218245810345
Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 PM

I have a system from Pro Clip that I use for my iphone. Their XD dock goes right over the left air vent, so I usually keep it closed so I don't blow hot/cold air all over my phone. It works pretty slick and they have two parts to each mount. One is the base which is customized for the vehicle, and the other is customized for your specific device. You buy the two parts and screw them together. Took about 10 minutes and that was including me test fitting, then test refitting, then being ultra careful. My brother uses one in his highlander and a friend in his truck and they both like them too. Cable routing was easy, I bought a little square adhesive thing at Home Depot (had it for years bought a pack for a couple bucks I think) and it is black and I stuck it to the side of the atmosphere controls and just zip tied my power cable to that. Now it's out of the way (off the floor) and easy to access when I need it.