Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Cost of installing TRD springs by a Toyota/Scion dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:22 AM

Default Cost of installing TRD springs by a Toyota/Scion dealer!

I need to get some opinions here. I am not heavily mechanically inclined, so I stopped by my local Toyota dealer to see what the cost of LABOR ONLY would be install a set of TRD springs on my new 08 xD. I figured I'd get the springs at almost $50 off by getting them from Sparks Toyota internet site.

The cost of labor with the requisite 4-wheel alignment was $650! I was, frankly, shocked. Is this about the norm, or should I be able to get this done a lot cheaper elsewhere? I live in Louisville, KY, and there are plenty of independent dealers who could perform this install.

Thanks in advance.

Mike McWilliams
Old 07-19-2008, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check around for shops that are certified for installing springs. Not sure if there is such a thing as Toyota ceritified outside of a dealer, but shops outside of dealers are much cheaper. Dealers always like to getcha

Try some other dealers in your area as well to see if there are any differences in price then maybe play the "Well this dealer is willing to install them for this price" game.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yikes! We charge $315 w/ alignment, and I still think it's an arm and a leg!

Ask in your local forum (looks like you're in KY?) for reputable shops in the area. You should find prices around $150 or so.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

installing springs should be no more than $200.

$150 would be a really good reasonable price.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i paid 100 bucks and it only took my shop 30mins to do!! shop around, find a place, and stick with em
Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

... 30 min?? you have an xB sir...

a xD i would at the minimum give it an hour and a half.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cost of installing TRD springs by a Toyota/Scion dealer!

Originally Posted by mmcwill
I need to get some opinions here. I am not heavily mechanically inclined, so I stopped by my local Toyota dealer to see what the cost of LABOR ONLY would be install a set of TRD springs on my new 08 xD. I figured I'd get the springs at almost $50 off by getting them from Sparks Toyota internet site.

The cost of labor with the requisite 4-wheel alignment was $650! I was, frankly, shocked. Is this about the norm, or should I be able to get this done a lot cheaper elsewhere? I live in Louisville, KY, and there are plenty of independent dealers who could perform this install.

Thanks in advance.

Mike McWilliams
Hi Mike....may I make a suggestion? I originally had the stock shocks with trd springs for about 5,000 miles and went back and reinstalled the trd struts as well...made for a great ride! I did the work myself but it was a pain to figure everything out at first. All in all with doing this myself I spent about 650 plus my time and tools for struts and springs. I am getting close to needed new shocks again as I rack up the miles. This ti,e though i think I will consider coilovers since the install is a walk in the park.

Anyway...maybe look into doing coilovers? Labor to install thoughs should be fairly cheap as the install time on those is super fast copmpared to traditional shock and spring combo installation.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cost of installing TRD springs by a Toyota/Scion dealer!

Originally Posted by Andrew1782

Hi Mike....may I make a suggestion? I originally had the stock shocks with trd springs for about 5,000 miles and went back and reinstalled the trd struts as well...made for a great ride! I did the work myself but it was a pain to figure everything out at first. All in all with doing this myself I spent about 650 plus my time and tools for struts and springs. I am getting close to needed new shocks again as I rack up the miles. This ti,e though i think I will consider coilovers since the install is a walk in the park.

Anyway...maybe look into doing coilovers? Labor to install thoughs should be fairly cheap as the install time on those is super fast copmpared to traditional shock and spring combo installation.
When asked, I always recommend to upgrade the shocks when installing springs on a vehicle. However, if the user is only looking for the aesthetics, then it's a waste of money for the shocks (IMO, anyhow).

Most coilovers are too harsh for most people. Tein's SS (or basic, in this case) has definitely redefined how a 'daily driver' coilover can feel, but the price usually puts it out of the range of the average consumer.

I agree w/ changing out the shocks at the same time the springs are being installed, but it's not for all people
Old 07-21-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

honestly, they really arnt that bad. with the plethora of info on this site on installing springs, just about anyone with a ratchet set, some screwdrivers, and a mechanically inclined buddy (and some beer) can install some springs. take a chance, its the only way you learn how to work on cars.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my local dealer was charging 600 for the installation of the springs on cars that were not even sold yet...
Old 07-24-2008, 05:18 AM

Well, after searching around in my area (Louisville), I found a reputable place that would do it for $430 including the alignment. Certainly a drop from $650 that the Toyota/Scion dealer wanted.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 PM
SL Member

Just a question? Does doing it outside the dealership void the warranty in any way?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know its harder to do a tc than a xD and ive done several tcs and its not that hard. If you can turn a wrench or use an impact(which I highly recommend) it fairly easy. See if you have a Scion car club in your area and join one. I'm in scikotics and we always install springs for members for the cost of a 12pk of beer. Hell we even installed a Scion salesmans TRD springs thats in our club. He wouldnt have had to pay full price but $15.00 for beer is better than $200 at the dealership any day. If your going with the TRD springs and the car is new I wouldn't even worry about getting an alignment. The TRD drop is very mild and I never got one with my tc and had no abnormal tire wear, but if you really want to pay out all that money go ahead. Matter of fact the only guy in our club that had bad tire wear was a guy that put Tein S Techs on and didn't get an alignment.