Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

OFFICIAL: Tanabe Sustec Strut Tower Bar 2008 Scion XD

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default OFFICIAL: Tanabe Sustec Strut Tower Bar 2008 Scion XD

Please contact your ScionLife vendor for pricing and availability. Click on the pics for more info.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

has anyone purchased this yet?
Old 05-10-2008, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess not... looks like i may be guinea-ing this next pay check or so. only $108 msrp is a deal to me.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice, how do you suppose that'll mount? Pictures are newfangled, unless that 2nd picture is just generalizing Tanabe strut bars...?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i was wondering that myself since theres not your typical three bolts that hold the strut assembly, like on most other cars. the only bolt for it to attach to is the one at the top of the strut...
Old 05-10-2008, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Which would also introduce the ability to flex, since there's only two attaching points, not three. It's like taking a tripod and trying to shake the top back and forth, then taking a stick and doing the same thing. The stick is obviously going to move a lot more. Let's see what they have to remedy this problem, I won't be the first one to buy. They would have to have a brace, essentially making it a triangle, but one that is in-line with the brace. Hard to explain, so here's a quick drawing:

Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also dont like the fact that there are 'hinges' between the bar and the mounting plates. now that i think about it, that seems like it would render the bar entirely useless. ive seen many other strut bars that do not have this at all, and im not sure why companies put these flex points in a strut bar meant to control flexing.

i may be holding off now...
Old 06-12-2008, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They r not really hinges, but rather adjusters to pre-load the stiffness i think... Some people on the xB2 forum have this and love it...
Old 06-13-2008, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm... id really have to see one of these installed, as im not really sure how it would mount up on the xD...

has anyone purchased this yet? i really dont want to be the guinea pig on this, my to-do list is long enough as it is, lol.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get me a good price and i might consider guinea pigging this

Yang
Old 06-13-2008, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can we get some up close install pics?
Old 06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

tmrepp, thats what im looking for as well, is some better photos. that one photo thats out almost looks photo-chopped to me. i really want to see how this connects to the tops of the struts.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can look on yarisworld.com for better pictures. This is the same tanabe strut used in the yaris.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can look on yarisworld.com for better pictures. This is the same tanabe strut used in the yaris.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Tanabe Sustec Strut Tower Bar 2008 Scion XD

Can't see how this would help anything - the bar is right next to a structural element which would have the same effect as the bar. The xD doesn't need (or want) a front bar.

Originally Posted by Tanabe_USA

Please contact your ScionLife vendor for pricing and availability. Click on the pics for more info.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats why TRD doesn't sell their version of this bar because it is so tightly packed in the engine bay it doesn't make sense to even have that bar. PLUS the TRD, and Tanabe, was found to block access to the battery so thats another reason why you probably won't see it or see it very little on the market.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:54 PM

I am having the Dealership install this strut brace and they called and indicated it is right over the negative post on the battery. I contacted Tanabe corporate and they indicated that the bar would have to be removed to replace the battery. Totally agree with recent posts there is little room for a strut bar witout impeading something under the hood. I'm still going to have the bar installed.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Absolutely worthless.

Sorry to be so blunt, but you will see no difference after install. The bar doesn't have a purpose on this car. The engine compartment is already so tight and boxed, that the bar only adds weight. Buy it for aesthetics, but know - deep down - that it does nothing for cornering / handling.

On other cars maybe - on this car - nothing...

Originally Posted by sheets
I am having the Dealership install this strut brace and they called and indicated it is right over the negative post on the battery. I contacted Tanabe corporate and they indicated that the bar would have to be removed to replace the battery. Totally agree with recent posts there is little room for a strut bar witout impeading something under the hood. I'm still going to have the bar installed.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 PM

You are right, I can't tell the difference at all because it was a new car with the optional TRD Sport Struts installed. So I have nothing to compare it too. I didn't know and it is too late now.

After it has been installed the Dealer Service Manager stated that the design of the bar is good because there is a single nut/bolt connector at the bar linkage to the housing when a battery needs to be changed. Simple need to remove them from both sides rather than removing the strut bolts.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The way the car is designed, the only help the suspension can get is from the lower end of the car as far as rigidity is concern with some braces, etc.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Tanabe Sustec Strut Tower Bar 2008 Scion XD