Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Dampers and Springs vs Tein Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:04 PM

Default TRD Dampers and Springs vs Tein Coil Overs

It looks like Uncle Sam owes me some money this year and I'm thinking of upgrading my suspension. I'm doing it for fun. I'm doing it because I like to take corners fast. I'm doing it because of the drastic improvement the TRD sway bar added. I have no idea how to choose the suspension parts.

My web searching has taken me to two choices (if you guys have others send them on), the TRD springs and dampers or the Tein basic coil overs.

The pluses for the TRD system are that the parts are made for the chassis, presumably the springs and dampers are matched, and they are relatively inexpensive. The negatives are I have no idea how they make the car feel or handle.

The Tein system is adjustable coil over system that cost a couple hundred dollars more. The pluses for the Tein system are simply that, they are adjustable and coil over. The negatives are I have no idea what to adjust them to nor do I know how they ride or handle. (I have been in contact with Tein and they have been helpful)

I would be interested in peoples opinion on what they would choose and why, especially if you have driven either setup on the Xd. I would also be interested in any choices that people have driven on and would recommend.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would personally spend the extra money on the Tein's. The whole point of adjustable coilovers is to tune them to your liking, and driving style, rather than just being stuck with one setting. I have driven vehicles that have had Tein coilovers on them and they have a great feel to them.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tein Basic Coilovers, as far as i remember have no shock adjustment, they are just height adjustable. This is still a plus over the TRD setup. However, the basics i believe are not much stiffer over stock. I don't believe they are drastic enough to make that much of a difference. If you can find a set of SS/Flex or whatever Tein makes these days, i'm sure you'll be more than happy. Or even other companies that make coilovers. You have to look at the Spring rates though, i'm not familiar with how stiff the springs for the xD should be to be most beneficial. But any coilover i think with shock adjustment would be much more beneficial than those you mentioned.
O and the Tein systems are made to work with the xD also, not just TRD. TRD is just Toyota made.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you can wait for the TEIN SuperStreet coilovers. thats if theyre making them.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Tanabe NF210s and I haven't have any problem with them. Then again they're my first set of springs on a car so I don't really know what to expect. Pretty sure that Tanabe will be having more parts come out for the xD in the next couple of months as well.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have the TRD Spring and shock/strut setup, I'm pretty satisfied. I would have prefered an adjustable setup, however until I can experience of witness the difference on the xD, I can't realy pass along a fair suggestion.
I went with factory warranty, and bc at the time, nothing else was available
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone heard of any other suspension mods at this point for the xD? All that i have seen thus far are the Tein Basics, TRD springs and struts. And then the Tanabe stuff. I would be interested in a set of coilovers something soft cause the roads in Seattle are horrible. I was inerested in the Tein Basics, but for 900 bucks thats sorta out of my price range.
Anyone heard of anything new???
Old 02-08-2008, 11:25 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Bennyboy
Has anyone heard of any other suspension mods at this point for the xD? All that i have seen thus far are the Tein Basics, TRD springs and struts. And then the Tanabe stuff. I would be interested in a set of coilovers something soft cause the roads in Seattle are horrible. I was inerested in the Tein Basics, but for 900 bucks thats sorta out of my price range.
Anyone heard of anything new???
If Tein is going to make coilovers for the xD, I'm sure they'll make springs for it, too...I hear Tein springs are pretty good...
Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watchout for colovers for one thing. they are stiff as hell! THe car is hort and will be very bouncy cuz of that. I have the TRD setup minus the sawy bar. that's my next step too. If anything do a set of springs and adjustable shocks. Coils will just give you rideheight( save for the SS's). Ride will be smoother on regular springs.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bennyboy is right. The Tein basic only allows you to adjust your ride height. There is no adjustment for the damper.