Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Wheel & Tire (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-wheel-tire-1802/)
-   -   getting new rims (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-wheel-tire-1802/getting-new-rims-145670/)

s4turn3r 09-01-2008 05:09 AM

getting new rims

i wanted to get some new cheap rims for my scion xd to replace the hubcaps. i want 16"s so I can keep the stock rubber and keep the costs down, does anyone know if this is viable? and if so what do you estimate the cost to be to have the tires put on the rims? its either this or I spend a good night looking on craiglist for some cheap used rims and tires, but then again id have to worry about whether or not they would fit. thanks for the help.

Zefoxe 09-01-2008 04:28 PM

u can get a no name brand rim and some tires for around 500. I would just be careful if you live in an area thats going to be winter soon because those tires will not be able to handle snow or anything. Used rims really aren't the way to go unless they have less then 2000 miles on them because they begin to warp to how that car drives and can throw off the offset and everything on ur car. Try out tirerack.com and ebay for some cheap ones.

Metro273 09-01-2008 04:42 PM

Don't forget to check out Craigslist in your area too! There is always good, cheap deals on wheels and tires!

s4turn3r 09-03-2008 09:15 PM

thanks i didnt realize that used rims warp. i also have a saturn sl1 with rubber that is poorly worn due to out of balance tires and i do fine in the winter (and thats coming from someone in northern Ohio), so i doubt it will matter. i will try to look for some nice used rims, and i can imagine that the xd accepts a wide variety of sizes due to its tuner image.

spaceclown 09-04-2008 12:17 AM

Rota Slipstream 16x7 cost less than $500 and weigh less than 15 lbs.

Leo_EdgeRacing 09-10-2008 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by s4turn3r
thanks i didnt realize that used rims warp. i also have a saturn sl1 with rubber that is poorly worn due to out of balance tires and i do fine in the winter (and thats coming from someone in northern Ohio), so i doubt it will matter. i will try to look for some nice used rims, and i can imagine that the xd accepts a wide variety of sizes due to its tuner image.

You can check us out at www.edgeracing.com. We have 16" wheels starting at $89 per wheel for the xD. Let me know if you have any questions.

CHPRBOX8 09-10-2008 04:15 PM

or check out www.discounttire.com

s4turn3r 10-13-2008 02:56 AM

what about the TPMS?

Leo_EdgeRacing 10-13-2008 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by s4turn3r
what about the TPMS?

If you like, you can send us your stock TPMSensors and we will mount them on your new wheels free of charge. If not, we sell them for $95 each.

s4turn3r 10-18-2008 03:41 AM

are the tpms sensors on the rim or the tire? is it basically as simple as prying it off the old rim if its there and sticking it on the new one?

xravexboix 10-18-2008 06:58 PM

The sensor is part of the valve stem. It has to be installed at the tire shop when the rim is mounted. Also, when a tire shop is working on the wheels, let them know it has the sensor so they avoid that area if using the pry tool.

If you get new sensors, it has to be programmed at the dealer (go scan tool go!), so it's less of a hassle to reuse your current set. Just remember to initialize the system once the wheels are changed (button is under the dash in the driver area, near the little 'pen tray').

MrKlaw 10-20-2008 07:53 PM

I went to my local Discount Tire and had them order a set of wheels from tirerack.com. I just printed the page online took it and and they ordered and had them shipped to them (they charged me the same as the advertised price). The wheels were about $140 each and another couple hundred for shipping and installation with the TPMS, so right about $750 out the door for the whole package. They have a few choices around $100 each that you should be able get for around $600 total.