Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Wheel & Tire (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-wheel-tire-1802/)
-   -   xD replacement tire questions (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-wheel-tire-1802/xd-replacement-tire-questions-176434/)

Nrvana423 11-25-2009 09:25 PM

xD replacement tire questions

After doing a lot more reading, I could probably just delete this post, but since I can't, I have reworded the question a bit with what I have learned.

My car is approaching 40k miles and my tires are going to need to be replaced within the next 5 to 10k miles. As everyone has already stated, there aren't a lot of options when going with the stock tire size. Would I be better off going with a 205/55-16 (1.3 to fast), or a 205/60-16 (1.9 to slow)? I'll be saving $200 by NOT buying the dunlops that I already have. It seems like those tires were made just for the scion xD.

DeathMachine 11-25-2009 11:26 PM

well... for starters... the 205/50-17 wont fit cause the stock wheels are 16s....

Nrvana423 11-25-2009 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMachine (Post 3383696)
well... for starters... the 205/50-17 wont fit cause the stock wheels are 16s....

I was just coming back to edit my post again to make that acknowledgement lol.

DeathMachine 11-26-2009 01:26 PM

Ya know, those aren't made for just the xD... The base model Corolla uses them, and I think the Camry also... Maybe you should check with the dealer and see if they took any off to do any aftermarket wheel and are going to throw them out.

BTW, if you've only go 40k miles, why are you changing your tires?? You should have PLENTY of tread left unless you've had some bad alignment/balance problems...

Nrvana423 11-26-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMachine (Post 3384066)
Ya know, those aren't made for just the xD... The base model Corolla uses them, and I think the Camry also... Maybe you should check with the dealer and see if they took any off to do any aftermarket wheel and are going to throw them out.

BTW, if you've only go 40k miles, why are you changing your tires?? You should have PLENTY of tread left unless you've had some bad alignment/balance problems...

I'll check with the dealer, but I'm sure they'd just clean them up and sell them as new. My tread depth is at 5/32. I've rotated every 10k, and have no issues otherwise. The dealer has always told me they were wearing even. I drive 40 miles round trip on the highway 5 days a week, that may have something to do with the early wear.

I have been looking at the kumho and yoko tires. Are they good tires? I keep reading you get what you pay for, but that doesn't tell me much. I've read a lot of good, but there are some bad reviews in there as well. Am I better off going with michelins or goodyears?

DeathMachine 11-26-2009 11:31 PM

Kumho are decent tires, they don't have good wet grip though... So dangerous if its rainy a lot where you are.

I use Nexen tires. If you search or ask around, you're going to get VERY mixed reviews. I've been using Nexen's for about 6 years now, and I think they are a decent tire, pretty good for the money. Decent traction, excellent tread life, GREAT price... Just do a little price comparison before you buy into them, and take a little time to ask some questions...

Nrvana423 11-26-2009 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by DeathMachine (Post 3384506)
Kumho are decent tires, they don't have good wet grip though... So dangerous if its rainy a lot where you are.

I use Nexen tires. If you search or ask around, you're going to get VERY mixed reviews. I've been using Nexen's for about 6 years now, and I think they are a decent tire, pretty good for the money. Decent traction, excellent tread life, GREAT price... Just do a little price comparison before you buy into them, and take a little time to ask some questions...

Are the Yokohama tires better for wet conditions? Do you have any personal experience with those?

Desertritz 11-28-2009 07:48 PM

Just bought some Kelly Fierce 205/55/16. Liked the tread and seemed the best deal.
420AA 91V rated 50,000 mile warranty. I live on a windy road and they handle well and are quiet so far , better than my Dunlops. Considered the Nexen's but liked these better. New model so they won't be discontinued anytime in the near future.

Desertritz 11-28-2009 07:50 PM

Dunlops that were stock only have a 40,000 mile warranty max. I pushed it with 45,000 on mine.

Nrvana423 11-28-2009 08:32 PM

I'm getting Yokohama avid trz 205/55-16's put on as I type this. I went with NTB's special they have going on. You don't realize how little tread you have until you loom at new tires.

DeathMachine 11-29-2009 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Desertritz (Post 3385613)
Dunlops that were stock only have a 40,000 mile warranty max. I pushed it with 45,000 on mine.

Dude, the warranty has nothing to do with tread life... Thats just a warranty, they just won't guarantee the tires won't fall apart past that point...

Also Nrvana, you'd be amazed at how much tread you have left if you take a tread-meter to the tire. The stock Dunlops on the xD should last you 65k miles+, especially since I don't think you're gonna be doing too many wheel-hops with a stock xD...

Nrvana423 11-29-2009 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by DeathMachine (Post 3385871)
Dude, the warranty has nothing to do with tread life... Thats just a warranty, they just won't guarantee the tires won't fall apart past that point...

Also Nrvana, you'd be amazed at how much tread you have left if you take a tread-meter to the tire. The stock Dunlops on the xD should last you 65k miles+, especially since I don't think you're gonna be doing too many wheel-hops with a stock xD...

I was sitting at 5/32" tread for most of the tire. The outside was closer to 2/32". My alignment was a bit off. Trust me, if I didn't need new tires, I wouldn't have spent the money on them. I probably would have let it go a bit longer if winter wasn't just around the corner.

Also, thank you for the input everyone.

The yokohama tires ride a lot smoother than the dunlops. Let's hope they continue to do so for a very long time. I'm curious to see how they do in rain and snow.