Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Anyone have a Step by Step Rostra Cruise Control Install?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Anyone have a Step by Step Rostra Cruise Control Install?

I have 04 xB just purchased a Rostra cruise control. Any one have a detailed installation with pics ?
I know I'm asking a lot but you never know.
R

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-10-2018 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rostra instructions

I have the instructions in pdf just PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to ya.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-10-2018 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.allscion.com/cruisecontrol.html
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Re: Anyone have a Step by Step Rostra Cruise Control Install?

Originally Posted by rhino8648
I have 04 xB just purchased a Rostra cruise control. Any one have a detailed installation with pics ?
R
OK I installed my Rostra cruise control and wow it works flawless!! It took me about 2 hours and would have been less but many people asking what cha doing?
did come back and fine tune the slack in linkage.I did mount the stalk cluster on left side and its fine, not in the way I'm 6'. I do Highly recommend this system !
I bought on eBay $193 I'll install one for ya if your in the DFW Metroplex for a lot less than a dealer.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-10-2018 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-06-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can the Rostra CC be attached to the right side of the steering post so that I could actuate its controls with my right hand? I don't care if the labels are readable or upside down.

Can the actuator switch (buttons on its lever) be positioned so that I could operate it without taking my hands off of the steering wheel? With my Saturn I can just drop my middle finger down to the set-resume buttons without me having to remove my hand from the steering wheel. I pretty much drive that way, hands positioned at 10 and 2 o'clock without having to use the gas pedal.

I've considered getting a CC with the RF actuator switch but it looks like it would stick up pretty high on the steering wheel pad and that it would require that I lift my right hand off of the steering wheel so as to push its buttons. Maybe it's not that high?

Thanks,

Kerry
2006 xB w/auto transmission
Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have the Rostra kit with the stalk wired on the left side and it does not get in the way at all. it feels natural and everyone that sees it can't believe that it didn't come that way from the factory. having the controls on the right side wouldn't work because of the turn ignition being on the right side.
I can drive using only my left hand and hit the buttons without taking my hand off the wheel just fine. i also had one company say that they had experienced interference problems with the RF model in the xB and they didn't recommend it.
in addition the instructions were really well written and correct on all wiring colors and locations that they described the wires are all perfect length. I was amazed at the quality of this kit and the instructions. I used the measurements that they give for where to drill the hole for the stalk and it's a good spot.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-10-2018 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Cody, that's very encouraging.

I'm trying to visualize how you press the buttons on opposite sides of the stalk.

Kerry
Old 08-27-2007, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

the buttons work great when you press down on the top button it slows you DOWN and when you press up on the bottom of the stalk it speeds UP
Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks. That helps a lot.

I keep changing my mind as to stalk or RF. With the RF unit the possibility of RF interference concerns me. As it is now when in certain locations around the island I'm hearing very low level static in my OEM HU in radio mode on my favorite station—my Clarion HU had no such problems.

Kerry
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My cruise control has been working fine for 2+ years but lately it is causing the engine to race fast when I press to increase the speed. The car accellerates up to the desired speed but much faster than before. It then holds the speed OK. It does not surge all the time but enough to concern me.

This last gas tank I got 29 mpg instead of the usual 33 mpg.
About 1000 miles ago I changed the oil. Other than that it has not required any work.

Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks,

Kerry
xB 2006 Automatic shift
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to butt in here, but... check the linkage to be sure it is free of any accumulations of dirt, grime, or just plain ____. It could be that it is sticking in certain spots in the slotted area of the throttle linkage. Clean it with some brake cleaner or any other degreaser that is in a can so you can blast away any contamination. Check to see the linkage is free to move and the cruise control cable is in proper adjustment. It should have a small amount of slack so as to not hold the cars main throttle open in any way. This should solve the problem. It the CC unit is old, 8-10+ years, then it may be that it is just worn out, although this is rare.
Hope this helps
Old 01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks airdave,

Will try your suggestions and let you know the results. It might take a week of experimenting. I've never been completely happy with its hesitating responsiveness (spoiled by my '96 Saturn) but still I use it constantly.

2 +years ago I got permission from Rostra to opened the unit (some units made for xB's require opening the case) and change the settings (per their suggestions and another's post here) but none seemed to make a noticeable diff.

Kerry
'06 xB, 21K, avg mpg 32.
(removed spare tire and jack to optimize mpg)
85% of the time I drive 60 mph
Mobile 1 Synthetic
stock/oem everything
Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine doesn't hesitate or anything else, but of course it's brand new, which is one reason I'm thinking you may have some contamination around the throttle body area. When I call Rostra - I had to open mine also, per their direction, to do the diagnostics - I spoke to Thomas, who is very knowledgable, patient and able to get to the bottom of the problem. I usually wait until their message says to press "9" and then leave a message. Seem to respond quicker - unless you want to get up at 5 a.m. PST and then you'll get through! Has your cc always done this and not worked smoothly? Is it still under warranty?
Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has your cc always done this and not worked smoothly? Yes. It's never responded quickly, from start to setting a speed or when adjusting 1-2 miles above or below a set speed. I'm always checking and redoing it to make sure it takes effect. I mostly adjust speed using the buttons rather than braking or using the accelerator.

I don't know about the warranty. I'm assuming it was/is one year. I've had it for about 3 years (installed it myself).

Do you have the dip switch settings Thomas gave you?

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi airdave,

I checked my linkage and it's as clean as the day I installed it and the throttle lever bracket - cable assembly clevis has the correct amount of slack.

Kerry
Old 01-10-2010, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thomas didn't have me change any dip switches and I don't have the car here. It's my son's car and he's 500 miles away. The c/c has a 36 month warranty. If you have your receipt and it's within that period you might get lucky. Otherwise, suggest you call tech line and see if you can get hold of Thomas. He should be able to help you figure this out. Have you triple checked to be absolutely sure your wiring is correct, particularly the VSS and NSS, the unit's ground is clean and tight? Does your speedometer fluctuate, does your engine run smoothly. It the VSS is messed up it could foul up these parameters too. I don't know what else to tell you to help out, other than the aforementioned. Sorry, and Good luck!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi airdave,

Given that it has worked acceptably for 2+ years it's not likely that wiring is faulty.

The speedometer doesn't fluctuate and the engine runs like a top.

I recorded the OEM dip settings. I'll try those again.

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi airdave,

Today I opened the unit I saw that I had set the dips switches to the most sensitive, so I changed it to the second most sensitive and now it's working again. I don't know why it started surging, possibly a combination of age and the too sensitive settings.

Thanks for your support.

Kerry
Old 12-10-2018, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhino8648
R
I wish I had all the instructions but I don't anymore. I installed one about 7 years ago in my son's car and it was pretty straight forward - IF you take your time! It took about 3 - 4 hours if I remember but I'm pretty picky about getting everything right the first time!
You should be able to contact Rostra and get the instructions pretty easily.
That being said, I got all the wiring done and correct but it wouldn't work! Long story short - the instructions have you find a purple , I THINK!, wire when taping into the ECM under the glove box. The cluster of wires was easy enough to find and get to - I don't think I had to remove the glovebox - and when I separated the wires to find the purple one it wasn't hard. Problem became apparent that I had it hooked up wrong but didn't know where the problem was. The instructions were amiss in that they should have mentioned that there are TWO purple wires, not just the one! Well, I undid my previous tap and attached it to the other purple wire and, voila! It worked!
It's now been over 7 years and the cruise works just fine still!

You won't be sorry for this purchase and the time it takes to put it in!