Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Trailer, Max weight, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Trailer, Max weight, etc.

Search has been unsatisfactory so I'll ask.
What is the max weight trailer the xB can tow? was thinking of a 'teardrop' sort of affair with vertical front and adjustable tongue to bring her up real close on the highway and extend as needed on side streets?

As tall as the box in the front with just enough room to sleep in it. also full size wheels. Probably 600lbs or so. A guess.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2020 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 07-25-2007, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think you'll get much of a definitive answer since I'm pretty sure the xB (and all Scions) are not recommended for towing anything. That's not to say people don't do it, but I don't think there's a set #.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might help you to look at the manual as to how much you can actually put in the box.
you could tow another xb behind you, but would you have the power to pull it up a small incline?

I think the max weight is somewhere around 850 lbs, people and luggage , so use that as a beginning.

And if your looking into a small tear drop style camping trailer, I used to haul a little one behind a bike , it weighed around 650 lbs unloaded.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

check draw-tite.com they will have a hitch (probably a class 1 hitch) application listed for you. I work with drawtite all the time, and they are great hitches.Also you could look up towing guides and see if you find anything. I know the owners manual I saw from Scion said you aren't supposed to tow with the xB's. But that doesnt mean you will hurt anything either. I'll see if i can find anything from my stuff at work ( I work at an RV dealership and we install upwards to 100 hitches a week) about how much or what hitches they have around
Old 07-26-2007, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Curt makes a hitch especially for the xB, but as you have heard from many, there isnt a set weight for a trailer to tow, but if you think about the 800-850 lb weight limit of an xB you run out of lbs quick...

175lb (averageish) person and your 600 lb trailer (unloaded) are already cutting it close.

I actually made a post about this not too long ago as I was toying with the idea, Your best bet would be a "popup-up" (more of a tent in a box) style motorcycle camper, they are nice and light, designed for bike tow (so an xB should have no problem) and some of them are actually pretty large! Go onto eBay and search for motorcycle trailer or motorcycle camper and you'll get plenty of results/ideas.

I decided that my best bet would be to use a tent, and on ly carry what I can fit into my box anyway, so Im going with a nice LL Bean 4 person tent so my girlfriend and I have plenty of room
Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hitch:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scion...mZ250145519803

http://www.drophitch.com/browseprodu...-Scion-Xb.HTML

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-CH~12490....utm_medium=ppc (this is a class II hitch, the others should be class I)

Trailers:

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/

http://www.wikco.com/timeout1.html

http://www.roadmancampers.com/

----------------------------------

These are just a couple options, I really doubt you will find a tear-drop suitable for xB tow, unless you make it your self or have it made custom.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for all the info, guys!
Old 08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Towing Question

I'm considering adding a hitch so I can tow my motorcycle trailer and one bike.
I saw an XB locally a couple of days ago that was towing a trailer.
Da'Lan makes 3 different hitches for the XB, and I've seen some others on-line.
Any tips from anyone who has actually installed a hitch?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM
Scikotics
SL Member

I deal with the Draw-tite brand and I know they are very easy. Generally they are bolt on applications that include 4 bolts and you are all set. Some applications will require you to drop the exhaust down in order to fit the hitch up in to the frame, but those are not that common.

As far as the other brands I am not too sure
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yo

Thanks for the reply.
I saw the Draw Tite online, it looks good and the price is reasonable.
Plan to check it out.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

i pulled a 800lb trailor from southeast texas to anchorage alaska. It pulled pretty easly and with ease. going through the mountains was like driving a fully loaded 18 wheeler though, funny thing, i got better gas milage at 36 MPG when in a hilly area.

The hitch we bought uses the 4 bolt in the back. As for dropping the exhaust, i had a home made one one that was flexiable, but i believe it would have had to come down.

over all, i didnt mind pulling a trailor at all, you really dont know its back there!!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The max weight that you can put inside a vehicle and what is safe tot tow are two different things. The car max capacity is a function of suspension. All vehicles have a much lower carrying capacity than tow capacity. I would say the Xb should have no problem towing 1200, or up to 1500lbs or so, with the right hitch. A 1974 Corolla was rated to tow 1600lbs.

Manufacturers have tended to lower (or eliminate, in Scion's case) towing limits for smaller vehicles, because of liability issues. They want to steer you to an SUV if you want to tow. The same cars with little or no towing limits in the US have much higher tow limits in Europe, where towing with smaller cars is more common. The lawyers are at work.

Get a good hitch, and use common sense, as well as drive more carefully.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that is interesting, morris7, and thanks for info. my memory has been jogged a bit and i recall many moons ago when i was in the boat business. we routinely hauled trailers that weighed more that the towing vehicle (and this was in the days before disc brakes!) no power steering on either my '65 chev 1/2 ton or my '67 gmc 1/2 ton. my '78 f-250 had discs, power steering and as a 3/4 tonner could haul 12,000lbs pretty easily (the built 460 dodn't hurt either)! the comparison to the corolla is most valuble and i see a 1,500 trailer with a 150 (or so) tongue weight as probably towing ok the weak link being power (or lack of). and thank god we have lawyers and a HUMONGOUS federal government to protect us from ourselves!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Kurt (Curt) hitch....and I'm looking to get this...

http://golittleguy.com/cms/
Old 12-02-2007, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What about building something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/TearDrop-Tear-Dr...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not too handy, but with a neighbor's help, it might be worth it.

What do you think?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member

Default Towing A Teardrop

I have a 2006 xB that I use to tow a 800lb TearDrop. I only lose about 1 mpg with the TD. Probably because of the design of the TD there is little wind resistance. It is not noticable that I am towing and I must remind myself that I am towing. I also have a canoe or kayak on top of the xB at the same time.

It works great .
Peter
Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just installed a Curt Tow Hitch... which came with a U-Haul sticker on it.

Easy install. :D

Took me the better part of 1.5 hours to do it very casually.
- Could have been faster if I could have found all my tools the first time.
Had to make 3 trips back inside the house to find the right sockets (metric).

The directions say you only have to undo one of the fascia straps.
NOPE!
Need to do both the driver's side AND the passenger side ones.

Also, need to stretch/pull the bumper trim to the rear to fit the cross bar over the exhaust pipe.

I found it easy enough to like cross-wise (wheel to wheel) with the hitch on top of me, and then to use my legs to raise the far end as I inserted the first bolt above my chest.

Still have to install the Automatic Transmission Cooler kit and the Lighting wiring kit.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: trailer, max weight, etc.

Originally Posted by mrsocks
what is the max weight trailer the xB can tow?
Zero is the rated. I thought most of the hitches give 1,000 lbs as the max. You can get a trailer hitch for anything. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I was thinking about getting a hitch and cheap trailer- just to make runs the 5 miles from Home Depot to my house with mulch, lumber, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member

Default Towing TearDrop Camper

I just returned from a 3520 mile trip from Orlando to Wisconson, Arkansas and back to Orlando. I towed my TD and got an average of 29.82 mpg. I drove at 55 mph. The Camper weighs about 850 lbs. I am using a 2006 xB.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: trailer, max weight, etc.

Originally Posted by stew32
Originally Posted by mrsocks
what is the max weight trailer the xB can tow?
Zero is the rated. I thought most of the hitches give 1,000 lbs as the max. You can get a trailer hitch for anything. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I was thinking about getting a hitch and cheap trailer- just to make runs the 5 miles from Home Depot to my house with mulch, lumber, etc.
x2. I have also thought of getting a hitch just for the looks / light towing, buuuuutttt...

Let's wait another three years and see if suddenly a bunch of topics appear called "HALP, MY TRANSMISSION FELL OUT AT 88,000 MILES, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!?!"

Quick Reply: Trailer, Max weight, etc.