Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Airbag off light

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Airbag off light

Is the airbag off light supposed to be lit when there's no one in the passenger seat? Most of the time, there is no light at all on when the seat is empty. Occasionally, the airbag off light is lit when it's empty. It always says airbag on when a passenger is in the seat. And, no, I don't have anything at all on the seat when it's empty.

So, what's the deal, should the airbag off light be on or off when the seat's empty?

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-16-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

We just got our 1 owner xB and my wife is driving it for the second day and is having the same problem as you.
I am curious to find out the answer as well.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-16-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 07-19-2009, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The "Airbag Off" light comes on if there is weight in the passenger seat, but not enough weight to turn on the airbags. I think it has to be 60 pounds or more to turn them on. I could be wrong about that. That's the way it is in the xD, at least.

The reason they do that is so the airbag doesn't go off if you have a kid or a child seat in the passenger seat.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Default What about backseat airbags when passenger airbag light says "off"?

Originally Posted by mcbrew
The "Airbag Off" light comes on if there is weight in the passenger seat, but not enough weight to turn on the airbags. I think it has to be 60 pounds or more to turn them on. I could be wrong about that. That's the way it is in the xD, at least.

The reason they do that is so the airbag doesn't go off if you have a kid or a child seat in the passenger seat.

I've had a 2008 xD for just a few days and have been riding around with my 7 year old whose in his car seat in the back. Just this morning the seatbelt alarm started beeping with the "passenger airbag off" flashing. (eeek!) .
We double checked his seatbelt was fastened. I realized my heavy book bag was in the front passenger seat so I tried buckling the seat belt. The seatbelt warning message stopped but airbag message remained. I just need to be sure the side air bags in the back aren't affected??

Thanks!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-16-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ashchambliss

I've had a 2008 XD for just a few days and have been riding around with my 7 year old whose in his carseat in the back. Just this morning the seatbelt alarm started beeping with the "passenger airbag off" flashing. (eeek!) .
We double checked his seatbelt was fastened. I realized my heavy book bag was in the front passenger seat so I tried buckling the seat belt. The seatbelt warning message stopped but airbag message remained. I just need to be sure the side air bags in the back aren't affected. ?? Thanks!
No, it only turns off the front passenger air bag because it detected weight in the front seat but not enough for safe deployment of the bag. It'll reset the next time the car is driven and everything will be back to normal.