Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Scion xB Car Traveler/Camper Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:39 PM

Default Scion xB Car Traveler/Camper Conversion

I wasn't happy with the usability of the space with my xB rear seats folded down especially for sleeping. I removed them and put in a new carpeted floor with a flap that extends up when the front seats are pushed forward. I also install shelving brackets along the driver's side for vertical storage with adjustable wire racks . I also mounted the spare tire there. The all-in-one jumpstarter/battery provide power for AC and DC appliances. I hang backpacks from hooks and use the baskets for storage so all the floor space is available when it is occupied. There is also limited temporary storage in the front seats while parked. It is very basic, but I am happy with the functionality, simplicity, and versatility.

*Moderator's Note: Inserted his YouTube Video below in Post #7
Attached Thumbnails Scion xB Car Traveler/Camper Conversion-xbcamper.jpg  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-04-2017 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Inserted his YouTube Video below in Post #7
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really cool. I got some good ideas from that.
If you sleep back there curtains might be a good idea too.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 AM

Yes, we made screening and curtains for the windows but have not used them yet on a trip. The screens have magnet strips attached and "stick" to the inside frame of the windows. The curtains use round magnets on the outside of the metal frames and don't interfere with the door closing. We use a sunscreen for the front windshield. That will give us plenty of privacy.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

All you need is a rear sunroof...
Old 07-09-2011, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I dig it.
Thats putting the car and space to use for sure. May take some ideas from this for my car.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 AM

Default how?

Originally Posted by ggsipaper
I wasn't happy with the usability of the space with my XB rear seats folded down especially for sleeping. I removed them and put in a new carpeted floor with a flap that extends up when the front seats are pushed forward. I also installled shelving brackets along the driver's side for vertical storage with adjustable wire racks . I also mounted the spare tire there. The all-in-one jumpstarter/battery provide power for AC and DC appliances. I hang backpacks from hooks and use the baskets for storage so all the floor space is available when it is occupied. There is also limited temporary storage in the front seats while parked. It is very basic, but I am happy with the functionality, simplicity, and versatility.
any ideas how the tire was mounted and what the shelve brackets are attached to? seems like just a stiff plastic on the interior of my box, but I would sure like to do this conversion. having some trouble getting the back seats out but i did see other threads about that.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Inserted his YouTube Video here

I have a Youtube video that you might find by searching Youtube for something like Scion xB car camper conversion and it might give you some more views. There is actually a metal frame work with a couple of metal flat tube pieces running horizontally and 4 pieces of metal shelving bracket rails running vertically. These are mounted to the side of the car as I could. At least one bolt used an existing threaded hole for some sort of D ring bracket. Some others I drilled into the metal behind the plastic molding and installed nutserts so I could thread a bolt into it. An extra horizontal metal piece was also installed on the framework at the right height for the spare tire which was then fastened to this metal frame with work with the original hand bolt and wing nut for easy removal if needed. I finally sold the vehicle and kept the instructions for removal which I believe I got off of here also. I now have a mini van and made something very similar except it is a free standing cabinet behind the drivers seat. It still uses some wire baskets, a drawer, cabinet, and even a little extending table with sink. I should have a video on that too in a few weeks.

This took a lot of work but it came out great and we put it to very good use and was sad to sell the vehicle.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-04-2017 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Inserted his YouTube Video here
Old 06-10-2014, 05:21 PM

I have a youtube video that you might find by searching youtube for something like scion xb car camper conversion and it might give you some more views. There is actually a metal frame work with a couple of metal flat tube pieces running horizontally and 4 pieces of metal shelving bracket rails running vertically. These are mounted to the side of the car as I could. At least one bolt used an existing threaded hole for some sort of d ring bracket. Some others I drilled into the metal behind the plastic molding and installed nutserts so I could thread a bolt into it. An extra horizontal metal piece was also installed on the framework at the right height for the spare tire which was then fastened to this metal frame with work with the original hand bolt and wing nut for easy removal if needed. I finally sold the vehicle and kept the instructions for removal which I believe I got off of here also. I now have a mini van and made something very similar except it is a free standing cabinet behind the drivers seat. It still uses some wire baskets, a drawer, cabinet, and even a little extending table with sink. I should have a video on that too in a few weeks.

This took a lot of work but it came out great and we put it to very good use and was sad to sell the vehicle.
hey, thanks for the response. i am pretty sure thats the video I watched already. but I couldnt tell how to do the mounting and it seemed like that if I drill into the plastic on the interior, it wouldnt take very much weight in the baskets or a good strong bump to pull it away from the sides. i'm definitely trying to duplicate your conversion. I even have the same color box.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ironponygrl
hey, thanks for the response. i am pretty sure thats the video I watched already. but I couldnt tell how to do the mounting and it seemed like that if I drill into the plastic on the interior, it wouldnt take very much weight in the baskets or a good strong bump to pull it away from the sides. i'm definitely trying to duplicate your conversion. I even have the same color box.
We are about a month too late!!! I took everything out of the car and put the back seat back in when I traded it in. That included the floor and metal framework that I would have gladly given away. Instead, I tossed it recently since I didn't think there would be any use for it. The only thing I saved were the wire baskets and shelving brackets for other possible uses.

I actually mounted to the metal behind the plastic which entailed drilling a larger hole in the plastic and then drilling a hole in the metal for the nutsert. I may have put some solid spacers behind the plastic to support it since there may have been a gap in places between the metal and plastic in some spots. I think I ended up with three nutserts and then used some other mounting spots. Be careful not to do anything to compromise the safety of the car and seat belts. In any case, I am not a mechanic and don't endorse or guarantee the safety or suitability of these modifications. It would be best discuss them with a qualified person to be sure they don't harm the function of the car or safety systems. Also, it is not possible to describe in enough detail exactly what I did via messages.

I hope you come up with something that works for you. Please let me know how it turns out. Keep checking my youtube account. I am planning on putting up a video in a few weeks on my mini van conversion but it uses a free standing cabinet which takes up some floor space that may not be available in the Scion.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM

okie dokie, i'll have to look up what is a 'nutsert'. i'm always a day late and a dollar short. I wouldn't purposefully compromise the safety, but you can save the disclaimers, I'm not a lawyer and wouldn't think of suing someone else for something I did to myself. thanks again for your prompt responses. look forward to seeing your new video.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:25 PM

One more disclaimer ... nutserts are not something to be eaten
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM

hey, i took out the back seat but i got two metal humps that the seats attached to. did you saw those off to get your floor to fit down flat?
Old 10-01-2014, 01:43 AM

I cut holes in the floor board for the two projections and covered the holes and entire floor with carpet. The projection bulged up a little but were not obstructive. I fastened shims to the bottom of the floor to support and level it at the right level. I didn't cut anything from the car and could put the back seats back in.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:59 AM

Smile 1st gen camper

I cut holes in the floor board for the two projections and covered the holes and entire floor with carpet. The projection bulged up a little but were not obstructive. I fastened shims to the bottom of the floor to support and level it at the right level. I didn't cut anything from the car and could put the back seats back in.
awe cool, any tips for me on making the pattern for the floor that I can cut out of plywood? no chance you kept the dimensions huh? i do have a tape measure, but my carpentry skills leave a little to be desired.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 AM

I taped together long pieces of brown paper strips to form a big sheet and laid it down in the back and traced the shape onto the paper and then onto the plywood floor before cutting. I had the floor bolted down in the end but I don't remember the exact points.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:10 PM

awesome, thanks for the response. i'm gonna give that a shot. still not seeing how I can lie down comfortably unless my body is angled across the cab. maybe it will seem more realistic with the flooring in. your video looks like you fit in just fine.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:06 PM

I had the seats pushed all the way up and tilted forward and extended the floor with the hinged flap. I am 5' 8".
Old 09-17-2015, 01:04 AM

Smile Bottom of back back seat is almost out ...

Originally Posted by ironponygrl
hey, i took out the back seat but i got two metal humps that the seats attached to. did you saw those off to get your floor to fit down flat?

Seriously, I cannot get the bottom of the back seat out. I am not removing the back rests, just the bottom piece. Most of it DID pop right up, however at the center back, something is holding it. Can you help me? thank you.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:39 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

*Moderator's Note: This Thread did not have his YouTube Video which I Inserted in Post #7 above.

A Video is Worth Ten Thousand Words.

MR_LUV

Old 01-13-2018, 03:29 AM
Banned
SL Member

Was worth 10000 words,thanks!

Quick Reply: Scion xB Car Traveler/Camper Conversion