Notices
Scion xD Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Won't start....Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Won't start....Again

This happened once last year and it happened again a couple days ago. Turn the key and the engine turns over forever and it never even tries to start. Acts like it has no spark. I hold the gas pedal down and turn it over until i can smell raw gas. Eventually is coughs and sputters and finally starts running. It takes about 5 minutes to get it to start. Now it is starting and running like nothing wrong ever happened. Checked for codes.....none. The next time it happens i am going to record the event on my phone so i have something to show the service center. Glad i got the 100K mile warranty for free but it won't do me much good if it can't be diagnosed easily. My wife doesn't trust the car anymore and i don't blame her. Only has 65K miles on it. I have crappy cars with over 200K miles on them that have never done anything like this. Pretty disappointed in this car right now.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-22-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

could possibly be a fuel pump thats on the fritz or a nasty fuel filter....hard to say!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jiggaman
could possibly be a fuel pump thats on the fritz or a nasty fuel filter....hard to say!
Yeah, the fuel filter probably just gets clogged up once a year.
/sarcasm

Last edited by hobojon; 01-01-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it were a clogged filter.. then it would not be running fine now.. it would have the same symptoms.
I had this happen to me too.. once.. I missed the start the first time. then tried to start again and it didnt catch.. It's like the ignition system was out of sync and the throttle was closed completely as the engine turning over sounded different..
A good practice is to turn the key to on for a second or two before cranking it.. It allows the fuel pump to pressurize the system first..
My first attempted start went from off to crank instantly as i was in a hurry to get moving.. hasn't happened since..
Old 01-01-2012, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hobojon
Yeah, the fuel filter probably just gets clogged up once a year.
you better hope not.. the fuel filter is usually located in the fuel tank integrated with the pump..
It needs to be dropped to replace.. not a simple procedure anymore..
They are meant to last the life of the car..
Old 01-01-2012, 10:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikem53
If it were a clogged filter.. then it would not be running fine now.. it would have the same symptoms.
I was being sarcastic. No matter what problem is listed here somebody says it is the fuel filter or the battery.......Thanks for your input about the no start issue though. It sounds like the same issue I've had. When it didn't start the engine sounded weird turning over, like it had no compression. It just doesn't seem to add up why it was so difficult to get it started after it didn't initially start. I had to repeatedly pump the gas pedal and it wouldn't even try to start until i could smell raw gas and the engine was flooded, then it took forever for the engine to clear and run smooth.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was being sarcastic. No matter what problem is listed here somebody says it is the fuel filter or the battery.......Thanks for your input about the no start issue though. It sounds like the same issue I've had. When it didn't start the engine sounded weird turning over, like it had no compression. It just doesn't seem to add up why it was so difficult to get it started after it didn't initially start. I had to repeatedly pump the gas pedal and it wouldn't even try to start until i could smell raw gas and the engine was flooded, then it took forever for the engine to clear and run smooth.
Lol.. I noticed that too.. It sounded exactly like there was no compression, good description.. Like the ECM wasnt allowing spark and the drive by wire system wasn't working the throttle...
If it were a computer running windows.. A reboot would have fixed it..
Old 01-14-2012, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Probably from a lack of towing anything. Install a hitch, get yourself a little trailer, and tow it around for a while. Should fix everything.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Probably from a lack of towing anything. Install a hitch, get yourself a little trailer, and tow it around for a while. Should fix everything.
everything except resale value..
Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Naw man, his xD is famous remember
Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys are dumb
Old 02-03-2012, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's rare but sometimes vapor lock can occur in an OHC modern engine. BTW our cars are throttle by wire, pushing the pedal while trying to start the engine doesn't do anything.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
It's rare but sometimes vapor lock can occur in an OHC modern engine. BTW our cars are throttle by wire, pushing the pedal while trying to start the engine doesn't do anything.
vapor lock went the way of the dinosaurs with fuel injection. There is too much pressure in the fuel line for vapor lock to occur. Especially since the fuel pump is at the source of the fuel.
vapor lock used to occur because the fuel pump, located on the engine would draw fuel from the source. fuel lines along the way could heat up and vaporize causing fuel starvation cause it wasn't pressurized.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CXTKRS1
BTW our cars are throttle by wire, pushing the pedal while trying to start the engine doesn't do anything.
I would have agreed with you if I had never had this "no start/run" condition and did not have to play with the throttle and ignition for 5 minutes to get it running. When your engine is stumbling, trying to catch and then dying..... pushing the accelerator pedal does make a difference.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have agreed with you if I had never had this "no start/run" condition and did not have to play with the throttle and ignition for 5 minutes to get it running. When your engine is stumbling, trying to catch and then dying..... pushing the accelerator pedal does make a difference.
Sure it does buddy.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah! Try "pumping" the pedal for about a minute and see if you can "Flood" the Engine, like it could be done with a carbureted system. You could "pump" it forever, and not ever get there.... LOL
Old 01-22-2019, 05:25 PM
SL Member

The same thing is happening to me. I've been through 2 fuel pumps trying to fix this. Gotta slam on the accelerator while cranking and then you smell gas, and if you played your cards right, it will sputter and come to life roaring. WIll drive fine after that. I have spark (I checked), its like I have no fuel pressure and I have to manually will the fuel pump to work (see my post https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...arting-236880/). Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.