Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Oil Consumption Test Fail

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member

Default Oil Consumption Test Fail

So I am sure all of you have got the oil consumption recall and warranty extension. My 08 tC was tested and failed but there is no yet.

Anyone have an idea what Toyota will do for us? I want a new engine!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default I haven't found anyone who has been through the oil consumption "fix" yet

07 tC. Got the letter in the mail. Been having oil consumption since I got the car. 52k miles. I want to get the test done,
so the problem can be fixed, but I'm afraid I won't have enough consumption, since I have lower miles than many.

Has anyone had their heads pulled and new pistons installed?

I don't like the idea of someone tearing apart my engine, since there are a lot of hack mechanics these days.

If i had to guess, I'm probably going through a quart every 4k? ish.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SCION CORP

Sorry to hear about the oil consumption on your Scion!

As per the the ZE7 CSP Excessive Oil Consumption Warranty Enhancement Program notification, this program will be launched in two phases due to current part production capacity limitations.

Initially, Scion will inform owners of vehicles involved that they may seek reimbursement consideration for previous repairs to address excessive oil consumption.

Additionally, owners will be advised that if they believe their vehicle has excessive engine oil consumption, they can contact an authorized Toyota/Scion dealer to have the engine oil consumption test performed to determine if they will be eligible for future part replacement once sufficient parts are available.

Once sufficient parts are produced, Scion will send a second owner notification letter to customers informing them they may seek part replacement if their vehicle has excessive engine oil consumption.

If you have any questions, give Scion Customer Experience a call at 866-707-2466. ^YG
Old 03-14-2015, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by jef_46614
07 TC. Got the letter in the mail. Been having oil consumption since I got the car. 52k miles. I want to get the test done, so the problem can be fixed, but I'm afraid I won't have enough consumption, since i have lower miles than many.

Has anyone had their heads pulled and new pistons installed?

I don't like the idea of someone tearing apart my engine, since there are a lot of hack mechanics these days.

If i had to guess, i'm probably going through a quart every 4k? ish.

Any input would be appreciated.
drive it like you stole it!! do the test now and drive it 1250-1275ish miles and bring it back for the test, Im sure if there is an issue you'll have burnt off more than enough to fail the test. I believe the warranty last until sometime in 2016 and has 150,000 miles as the limit. im at 124K and burning 1 qt every 1000 miles.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:06 PM

Default oil consumption test

I have a 2009 Scion tC. I am doing an oil consumption test as we speak. I add 2 to 3 qts between a 3thousand mile oil change.

I just want my car fixed.. There's a lawsuit against Toyota due to this issue. I love my car but the engine design is flawed big time.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wait, 150k is the limit? I'm at 180 and burning about 4 quarts every 3500 miles... so I'm SOL?
Old 03-17-2015, 05:19 PM

Yes I believe so.. I would contact Scion or there is an active lawsuit going on.

Look it up..

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-17-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know the specifics of you letters, but mine stated that there are two phases of the warranty.

The first is until Oct 2016 with unlimited mileage.
The second is after Oct 2016 at the 150k mileage.

As I understand it, all cars with at any mileage will qualify for testing until Oct 2016, then after that only cars under 150K will be considered for testing.

If you read that section of the warranty any different, it doesn't hurt or cost you anything to ask the service manager at your dealer.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Friend of mine just blew her motor

I told her about the warranty extension

she went in... stirred some crap... and they are swapping her engine.

Im at 78k miles... not getting this test for a while
Old 03-24-2015, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yajaira@Scion
Sorry to hear about the oil consumption on your Scion!

As per the the ZE7 CSP Excessive Oil Consumption Warranty Enhancement Program notification, this program will be launched in two phases due to current part production capacity limitations.

Initially, Scion will inform owners of vehicles involved that they may seek reimbursement consideration for previous repairs to address excessive oil consumption.

Additionally, owners will be advised that if they believe their vehicle has excessive engine oil consumption, they can contact an authorized Toyota/Scion dealer to have the engine oil consumption test performed to determine if they will be eligible for future part replacement once sufficient parts are available.

Once sufficient parts are produced, Scion will send a second owner notification letter to customers informing them they may seek part replacement if their vehicle has excessive engine oil consumption.

If you have any questions, give Scion Customer Experience a call at 866-707-2466. ^YG
If, by random chance, I managed to accidently shred the original warranty extension letter while cleaning off my desk... it would be best for me to wait til the second notification? lol
Old 03-24-2015, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member

They will only reimburse you if you have had work done pertaining to the oil consumption out of pocket, it wont matter as long as you get it checked while it is under the extended warranty period. Mine passed at exactally 1 quart in 1200 miles, Toyota defines "excessive" as anything over 1 quart in a 1300 mile period. Since I drive 3k a month and have extended warranty on this till Oct 2016 (unlimited mileage till Oct 16') I am just going to let it ride and rack up some miles before I do anything, let them get the kinks worked out.
I read the non offical TSB (hook ups at a dealer) and they are saying new pistons and rings. Apparently the oil passages in the pistons are prone to clogging. Hopefully they will go through with it like that so I can say, "While your in there......" Lol
Old 05-27-2015, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zap-o-matic
I read the non offical TSB (hook ups at a dealer) and they are saying new pistons and rings. Apparently the oil passages in the pistons are prone to clogging. Hopefully they will go through with it like that so I can say, "While your in there......" Lol

I dont mean to bring up a dead thread, but I can vouch for that. Like, 70% percent of the vehicles that come in through the dealership here are for the oil consumption tests. They are beginning to rebuild them now, and its all the same issue. Oil drain holes in the pistons are too small and clog up. Be on the lookout for a massive recall, if they haven't started one already.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jayrdee
I dont mean to bring up a dead thread, but I can vouch for that. Like, 70% percent of the vehicles that come in through the dealership here are for the oil consumption tests. They are beginning to rebuild them now, and its all the same issue. Oil drain holes in the pistons are too small and clog up. Be on the lookout for a massive recall, if they haven't started one already.
Technically its a TSB, but that would be awesome if it became a recall. However recalls are only for safey issues like air bags or brakes ect... I barely passed my first test, dropped the oil weight from 5w30 to 5W20 and going back soon for a second test. Time to get that motor rebuilt!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by awdmofo
Technically its a TSB, but that would be awesome if it became a recall. However recalls are only for safey issues like air bags or brakes ect... I barely passed my first test, dropped the oil weight from 5w30 to 5W20 and going back soon for a second test. Time to get that motor rebuilt!

Yeah right now its a TSB, but I wouldn't doubt it becomes a big recall or something of that nature. A guy at work had to order of all the stuff to do a motor rebuild (i work in the parts dept.) and its all getting paid for by Toyota; the first of many i'd say.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jayrdee
Yeah right now its a TSB, but I wouldn't doubt it becomes a big recall or something of that nature. A guy at work had to order of all the stuff to do a motor rebuild (i work in the parts dept.) and its all getting paid for by Toyota; the first of many i'd say.
Makes me happy that even if i barely pass this second test I might still get a free rebuild . we shall see soon how this plays out
Old 05-31-2015, 08:42 PM

I had my oil consumption issue fixed in 2012 on my 08 xb. Took a year of fighting with the dealership to have it fixed. Haven't had a problem since until this past month. Had to add a quart of oil. Not happy.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by jsgossamer
I had my oil consumption issue fixed in 2012 on my 08 xb. Took a year of fighting with the dealership to have it fixed. Haven't had a problem since until this past month. Had to add a quart of oil. Not happy.
I was unaware they did any rebuilds before this year?? how'd you talk them into it, was it still under the factory warranty?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:15 AM

I complained each and every oil change. They told be burning oil was completely normal. Continued to complain. Then they said they would document the problem, which they did for over a year. Car seemed to burn more oil in the colder weather. Then in 2012, they told me a bulletin had come out about this issue with my car, so they fixed it. Well, they sort of fixed it. When I got the car back, it was now leaking oil and they had to fix it again. Very inconvenient and I'm not sure if I would do it again. I'm wondering if they fixed it using the same cruddy parts since it was a few years ago. They changed the R&R piston and ring set. My car had 48,000 miles on it.

Last edited by jsgossamer; 06-01-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

so im boosted at 52k right now, and its starting to burn some oil under boost. Probably going to drive it hard until end of July then return it to stock and go take the test lol
Old 06-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by jsgossamer
I complained each and every oil change. They told be burning oil was completely normal. Continued to complain. Then they said they would document the problem, which they did for over a year. Car seemed to burn more oil in the colder weather. Then in 2012, they told me a bulletin had come out about this issue with my car, so they fixed it. Well, they sort of fixed it. When I got the car back, it was now leaking oil and they had to fix it again. Very inconvenient and I'm not sure if I would do it again. I'm wondering if they fixed it using the same cruddy parts since it was a few years ago. They changed the R&R piston and ring set. My car had 48,000 miles on it.
Interesting. Im wondering too if they would use the same parts, I assume not because they are saying in the letter they don't even have the parts and have to order a large amount of them to do many rebuilds.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption Test Fail