Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2AZ - Orange Virus Tuned.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2AZ - Orange Virus Tuned.

What's up guys?
Just want to share with you whats been cooking on the other side of the web.
I'm normally on Toyota Nation but have come here in the past for the knowledge base regarding the 2AZ platform.

I own a 09' Corolla-Matrix S 5 speed, and parts aren't readily available specifically for it. But the 2AZ that we share has huge aftermarket support that I have found to be quite beneficial. I've been using parts for the tC, xB, Corolla, Camry, Tacoma and even Civics lol.

Name:  IMG_20160629_122402957_zps7vgnp6cv.jpg
Views: 8423
Size:  167.5 KB

Engine wise I only have an i/h/e which consist of a K&N typhoon air box, Megan racing header(no cat), an Invidia S-pipe, resonator delete and a Magnaflow 14210 exhaust.
To see the full build check out my thread here: 09 Corolla S Wagon OEM+. Yeah, yeah its a Matrix... - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

A baseline Dyno on a dynojet shows a typical 154hp/153lbft. Really consistent with all the other dyno figures readily available. And a nice jump in power that was relativly inexpensive.
Name:  IMG_20160709_094431467_zpsqngy1aj7.jpg
Views: 5972
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20160709_100201239_zps83ptdw2y.jpg
Views: 6044
Size:  85.9 KB

Check out the vid here.

I was one of the early adopters of this OVT program for the Toyota/Denso ECU campaign.
I have recentley got back my ECU from Orange Virus and So far so good!
Still have to run through some 87 thats in the tank and run it on 93 for a while to get the full benifits of the tune. I'll have an "After" dyno run soon and will share it with you to report if the claims of 10-15% increase in power are legit or not.

Name:  IMG_20160711_113259436_zps87cwhwaf.jpg
Views: 5936
Size:  122.3 KB

Name:  solo5.1_zpsgr61h8lu.jpg
Views: 5616
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20160503_152100_zpsputdx5ah.jpg
Views: 5754
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20160503_152018_zps2dxmnmjc.jpg
Views: 5925
Size:  74.4 KB

Here's a quick reveiw so far.
As it is, I do notice a difference. It pulls harder sooner and pulls harder to redline. Before, the the big torque boost would start to roll in right around 3500rpm and wane off around 6000rmp. Now it starts before 3000rmp and piulls hard all the way to redline. It moves faster towards redline as well. and the car sounds different (in a good way!).

That and gas mileage is the same or better. considering I've been driving it hard to work gas through it and driving autocross usually at a quarter tank down, I'm at 80 miles. but I'm over 90 now. so that's awesome!

It might just be me not driving my car for a while. but I think there is a seat of the pants feel that can't be denied.

But all this is meaningless and only subjective. We'll have to wait and see if it really does live up to the claimed hype with some cold hard numbers.

I'm going to be emailing OVT shortly to get a little more info regarding the tune.
Such as specifics involving the % of change from stock and @ what RMP changes have been made to timing and fuel. I'm not sure if it would be the same for all across the board. but It's something I'm interested in.

I've noticed the throttle position has been recalibrated, as its one of the maps that is mentioned in the tune description. At first I thought maybe it's just that, that I'm feeling. But It's way more frantic in the way it charges it's way up to redline and the exhaust sound is great!
I have also noticed with each day that passes it seems to be getting more responsive. Again maybe it's all in my head! LOL

When I get some answers I'll post them up, same with the dyno figures. I'lll be ploting the A/F durring the runs as well.

Stay tuned for the results!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will this have any application for forced induction? Not sure if the extra air will play nice with the MAF, and there is no MAP sensor.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do beleive they were planning on tuning for boosted applications but it's not out just yet. This is still in the early stages, and they will need development time and interest to move forward. I'm sure they could answer your questions better than I can. Drop them a line to get specific answers. Matt the owner is pretty good at answering emails quickly.

https://www.ovtuned.com/
Old 08-18-2016, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming this is the $325 bench re-flash and not the DIY tuning kit?

I'm interested in the results you get from it as well since the Toyota ECU is notoriously hard to crack. IT would be nice to not have to use a piggy back unit when I go boosted.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats correct. I received the bench re-flash.
Depending on what kind of discount I get for the software and patch cable for datalogging, I'll see if it's worth it to me to get it. (OVT offered free tunes and discounts for customers that participated in the development stages.)
With just basic bolt ons, I'll most likley be fine with their claimed 10-15% increase in power. Fine tuning would be nice though. We'll see.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm waiting for my bench reflash as well. I won't be getting car dynoed, all I'm hoping for more pull and better throttle response. I'm looking forward to seeing some actual results.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will feel beter throttle response, Its night and day difference. Thats one of the things OVT changes is the throttle positioning sensetivity. It's not WOT if you just lightly press the gas, like some throttle controllers its progressive, but it's a much needed improvement.

I'm hoping to see 170 to the wheels. If I'm close I'll be happy.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MasterZ
I do beleive they were planning on tuning for boosted applications but it's not out just yet. This is still in the early stages, and they will need development time and interest to move forward. I'm sure they could answer your questions better than I can. Drop them a line to get specific answers. Matt the owner is pretty good at answering emails quickly.

https://www.ovtuned.com/

Thanks. Just messaged them and waiting to hear back. I'll post up their reply for anyone who's interested. To be honest, I think the real interest will be for a FI application. There are a surprising number of boosted tC's, and pretty much everyone is looking for a better tuning option than and eManage or AEM FIC.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You will feel beter throttle response, Its night and day difference. Thats one of the things OVT changes is the throttle positioning sensetivity. It's not WOT if you just lightly press the gas, like some throttle controllers its progressive, but it's a much needed improvement.

I'm hoping to see 170 to the wheels. If I'm close I'll be happy.
It would be really interesting to see what it could do with mine since I'm already pulling 170 at the wheels with bolt-ons. Though I suspect some of that is due to just having the engine re-built due to oil consumption.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Greg S. what do you have done to your 2AZ?
Do you have a thread?
Old 08-19-2016, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, build thread is over on Clubxb, here Time for a resurrection - Scion xB Forum

It's 8 pages long at present but the short version for engine work I have I/H/E. Ebay intake, Weapon R headers, and a Tanabe exhaust. Nothing special, that's why I attribute the high numbers to the piston and ring replacement. Most of my updates go on my FB and IG pages in my signature if you want to look through those. just search steelpunkxb on either and you'll find it.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member

Hello everyone!

Some Toyota forums I guess messed up accounts and we haven't been able to get logged back in, until now.

MasterZ, We actually have done more development on your ECUs bin file since your ECU left, and we will be planning a nice round of updates once we transition to our new way of doing things.

Mainly we were running into a problem of....getting too many ECUs at once! Each ECU needs a hand writ cal definition which takes a lot of time. So our phase tuning has been limited to GET the bin files themselves.

Well, we have some updates and new work we will be posting, along with information about the Toyota ECU, and answer some questions, take some feedback from the community. Let us know what you guys want!

First some information in the development of the Toyota ECUs and tuning.
The Toyota ECUs use 8 bit structure for table data. What does this mean? it means everything is more difficult. Everything requires conversions to get real world values from.

What have we been working on and what we have so far.
Here is a small map list of a few ECU bin files I pulled up. Note we are probably the only ones in the world right now with as much of the ECU disassembled as this.
A Lexus IS350, Sienna 3.5, and Corolla XRS.
We are going to be putting a majority of our development into the 2AR 2AZ and 2GRFE. Main reason is this is the part of the community that is requesting the most from us.
However we are open to work on any and all Toyota ECUs that we can, and development is driven by the community, so don't stay silent!

We have seen 10+whp out of the newer tC by changing 2 maps, fuel and ignition. and even more with the older tC. No surprise the stock tune is quite watered down.

We are working on a remote tuning option, and for 2013+ some cars do not even need their ECU removed. For older cars, unfortunately you would need to send it to us. After that, we read it out (make no changes)
send your ECU back next day with the remote tuning kit. prepare the cal file for your ECU, and then we can send you Tunes via email. You upload it to the car, data log, and we dial the tune in for maximum gains.
Right now we are testing this and final release pricing will be soon.

But enough of that, we are working more on better bench tunes and diving deeper into the ECU.
We want to know what you guys are interested in. Is boost possible? yes. We are trying to locate a TRD Supercharger ECU to see just what Toyota did to the code.
What can we change?
VVTi, VVTL (XRS), AFR, Ignition, and a few others.
We are working on rev limiter and other 1D controls, 8bit structure just takes more time.

Now I'm not trying to steal OPs thread, just wanted to post some info for everyone.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-11-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-24-2016, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the response Matt. I appreciate the work your doing.
Keep it up!

Surley there's someone on the site that has a TRD supercharger flash on their ECU. Get it to OVT ASAP!
Old 08-30-2016, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The results are in.
The verdict...

Orange Virus Tuning is Legit!

Today I finally had the "after" dyno run measured after having the ECU tuned by OVtuning.

Mods:
K&N typhoon cold air intake
Megan Racing 4-1 header.
Invidia SS Downpipe/S-Pipe
Resonator delete
OEM SS mid pipes
Magnaflow 14210 muffler.
Orange Virus Tuned ECU

True to their word the tune netted a 10-15% improvement in power from stock.
A stock 2AZ will typically put down 130-135WHP (up to the 140's on tC's) on a Dynojet.
Here is my baseline dyno sheet. As you can see the best run was a 154.6WHP and 153.78ftlbs on the stock ECU.

Name:  IMG_20160829_150042037_zpsg4bkjruh.jpg
Views: 5526
Size:  73.9 KB

After the OVTuned ECU. My best run was a 168.13WHP and 172.13ftlbs of torque.

Name:  IMG_20160829_150132531_zpsrfa6zmb9.jpg
Views: 5812
Size:  79.6 KB

Heres the link to the vid.

I got a little excited after this third run. lol My second run was low due to heat. We let it cool for a bit and bam! Got the best run. A gain of 13.53WHP and 18.35ft*lbs of torque.

I was figured I'd see a 170WHP and I probably would have if it had been cooler and way less humid. It was really hot and humid today and the car at this point was hot from running errands in the morning before hitting the dyno. I think I could easily see 170WHP/175ftlbs in cooler conditions.:grin:

But the peak HP is not what interests me. It's what's under the curve, and it's pretty fat! If you look at the graph I'm already hitting 150+ TQ way before 2500RPM, then it jacks up to 170 and doesent come back down to 150 till 5500RPM. Where as I was running out of steam @ 4500RMP before.

I thought the improved throttle response and sudden acceleration was just due to the throttle position map being messed with. Not the case It's real power.

The best part is, my tune isn't even optimised. The next phase will provide more power along with fine tuning of the various maps. So to any potential customers, rest assured you will have a better tune than my current one.
I will also be getting in on the action as better tunes come out. Hopefully I'll be able to do it myself via the OBD2 port next time. But for now I am happy.
Easily the best mod you can do for the money.

Stay OV Tuned!

Name:  IMG_20160828_110235925_HDR_zpsjnff3uuy.jpg
Views: 5705
Size:  124.5 KB

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2021 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-30-2016, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2azfe ecu tuning

The results are in.
The verdict...

Orange Virus Tuning is Legit!

Today I finally had the "after" dyno run measured after having the ECU tuned by OVtuning.

Mods:
K&N typhoon cold air intake
Megan Racing 4-1 header.
Invidia SS Downpipe/S-Pipe
Resonator delete
OEM SS mid pipes
Magnaflow 14210 muffler.
Orange Virus Tuned ECU

True to their word the tune netted a 10-15% improvement in power from stock.
A stock 2AZ will typically put down 130-135WHP (up to the 140's on tC's) on a Dynojet.
Here is my baseline dyno sheet. As you can see the best run was a 154.6WHP and 153.78ftlbs on the stock ECU.

After the OVTuned ECU. My best run was a 168.13WHP and 172.13ftlbs of torque.

Heres the link to the vid.
Toyota Corolla-Matrix S Dyno Pull - Orange Virus Tuned ECU - YouTube
I got a little excited after this third run. lol My second run was low due to heat. We let it cool for a bit and bam! Got the best run. A gain of 13.53WHP and 18.35ft*lbs of torque.

I was figured I'd see a 170WHP and I probably would have if it had been cooler and way less humid. It was really hot and humid today and the car at this point was hot from running errands in the morning before hitting the dyno. I think I could easily see 170WHP/175ftlbs in cooler conditions.:grin:

But the peak HP is not what interests me. It's what's under the curve, and it's pretty fat! If you look at the graph I'm already hitting 150+ TQ way before 2500RPM, then it jacks up to 170 and doesent come back down to 150 till 5500RPM. Where as I was running out of steam @ 4500RMP before.

I thought the improved throttle response and sudden acceleration was just due to the throttle position map being messed with. Not the case It's real power.

The best part is, my tune isn't even optimised. The next phase will provide more power along with fine tuning of the various maps. So to any potential customers, rest assured you will have a better tune than my current one. I will also be getting in on the action as better tunes come out. Hopfully I'll be able to do it myself via the OBD2 port next time. But for now I am happy.
Easily the best mod you can do for the money.

Stay OV Tuned!

i have a supercharged ecu and a non supercharged ecu wit the flash module.
The supercharged ecu is mated to my car

MODS:
World RACING Built 2azfe
Stage 2 Turbo Cams
Upgraded Valve train
JE Pistons
Cunningham Rods
Golden Eagle Sleeves
Mishimoto Thermostat
Dezod Green Headers
ES Technica Roadsports 3 in Exhaust+ S-pipe

Rebuilt supercharger
Upgraded Shaft
Ceramic Bearings
9.5 lb pulley
Fluidampr Pulley
Old 08-30-2016, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hardchargertc
i have a supercharged ecu and a non supercharged ecu wit the flash module.
Ok, so...
What's a flash module?
And are you planning on sending in your TRD flashed ECU to OVT or something?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, so...
What's a flash module?
And are you planning on sending in your TRD flashed ECU to OVT or something?
Flash module is what Toyota used to store the supercharger "tune". They hook up the ECU and install the tune onto the ECU and presto..
Supercharger parameters on the Scion tC ECU. And if you would like for me to I would. I saw that you were looking for one..I believe.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2021 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 08-30-2016, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome! How did you end up with the module? Did you work at a dealership?

Anyway, the company called Orange Virus Tuning who has been able to decipher and write custom tunes for Denso ECU, is looking for a ECU with the TRD supercharged Flash installed to it.
They need it for development. They want to see what changes Toyota made to the various maps so they can learn what other parameters can be adjusted. This would probably speed up the possibility for a forced induction tune without the use of any piggyback or standalone. Which I'm sure a lot of tC guys would be interested in.

Get a hold of Matt at OVT if you are willing to help out the cause.
https://www.ovtuned.com
Old 08-30-2016, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome! How did you end up with the module? Did you work at a dealership?

Anyway, the company called Orange Virus Tuning who has been able to decipher and write custom tunes for Denso ECU, is looking for a ECU with the TRD supercharged Flash installed to it.
They need it for development. They want to see what changes Toyota made to the various maps so they can learn what other parameters can be adjusted. This would probably speed up the possibility for a forced induction tune without the use of any piggyback or standalone. Which I'm sure a lot of tC guys would be interested in.

Get a hold of Matt at OVT if you are willing to help out the cause.
https://www.ovtuned.com
When I bought the Supercharger kit I purchased it from someone who worked at Toyota. I also bought a Supercharger ECU because the dealers are funny about flashing the ECU nowadays. So I have the ECU and Module set aside.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2021 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought I had posted this on this site, but here's a pic of the dyno sheets superimposed in one graph. OEM ECU vs. the OVTuned ECU.
You can get a better picture of where the improvements are, And it's pretty much an improvent across the board!
There's a nice gain of an approximate 22WHP and 27ftlbs of TQ at 4000RPM and almost a 25WHP gain at 5500RPM.
This is nuts!
So pleased that this tuning option came to fruition.

Name:  OVTDYNOCOMP_zpsmhc28v7g.jpg
Views: 5772
Size:  76.1 KB[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 2AZ - Orange Virus Tuned.