Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Slight Engine Tapping/Pinging Assistance Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 AM

Default Slight Engine Tapping/Pinging Assistance Please

Hey everyone, very new to the forums and I'm sorry my first post has to be some troubleshooting, but I'm just no good when it comes to diagnosing issues and I need help! Before assisting understand that the oil was ran dry, I've already beat my head against a wall because of it so I understand that I made a mistake having someone else "take care of it" for me. Life lesson is to occasionally glance at my oil sticker. The first time I heard the slight knock/ping was when I started the engine and it made the ping or tick several times and then once in idle it makes no noise whatsoever. I drove on the tick for maybe two days (not very much driving) and finally checked my oil and it was bone dry. Immediately took it to have the oil changed and it significantly helped, but still when I start the engine and when I decelerate and occasionally when I accelerate I can still hear the ping/knock. Any assistance as to what it could possibly be would be a great help! If these videos don't really help the situation then I can make another one with a slight rev, I'm just too nervous as to what it could be that I don't want to make anything worse.

- This is a recording from outside
- This is ignition start
Old 04-27-2017, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Read up on the oil consumption issue on the engines. That might be the culprit of why it went dry in the first place. You may be out of warranty, but Toyota might still cover the cost of repairs, as it was what they called a "warranty enhancement" for this specific issue.

Regarding noise, I don't really hear anything out of the ordinary from the video alone. If anything was affected though, it'd probably be some of the bearings which rely on lubrication. I'd first go to Toyota and see if they will honor the extended warranty on oil consumption. If they honor it, they will run a test to see if you consume excessive oil, then proceed from there.

Your other options would be to continue driving it, keeping an watchful eye on the dipstick from time to time. Hopefully the damage was not too severe. If it's damaged badly enough, you would need to replace/rebuild the engine. Replacing would probably be cheaper, but you would need to find one that doesn't have the issue. It was a design flaw on the 07 and up engines. Might want to go down the re-manufactured route in this case, rather than just a used one.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:10 PM

Thank you for the response, I will upload one more video so that you can maybe hear it a little more clearly!
Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 PM

- This should help more.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh wow. Ok I heard it there. While I can't say 100%, that sounds like rod knock, suggesting one of the bearings may have spun when it ran out of oil. If that is the case, the only fix would be to rebuild/replace the bottom end of the engine. Since your car is a 2010, you may still be covered under the oil consumption recall, which I think is 10 years from when the car was originally sold. Assuming that oil consumption was the cause, that's probably the best course of action at this point.

Either way, it needs to be evaluated by a professional.