Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

OCV Oil Control Valve (VVT Solenoid) and Filter Question

Old 07-19-2017, 06:03 PM
SL Member

Default OCV Oil Control Valve (VVT Solenoid) and Filter Question

1. Have an 05 Scion xB. I removed the Oil Control Valve (sometimes called the Variable Valve Timing VVT Solenoid) that is located on the right side of the alternator. I was wondering if there was a second valve for the Scion since I know some Toyotas have 2 valves.

2. I thought that the OCR valve FILTER was located just below the OCR, but when I unscrewed that 8mm hex bolt with my Allen wrench, I do not see a filter! Is the filter somehow located deep inside. IF YES, how do I get the filter out?

Thanks for any help

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-10-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:56 PM
SL Member

Default Update

Ok...I was able to see inside the hole that the 8mm hex bolt was in. The tip of the filter is about 1/2 inch inside. I used a stiff wire to slide inside of the hole and snag the filter to pull out. I bent the very tip of the wire to make a hook. You might be able to use the right size fish hook.

The filter was clean, and the solenoid works when tested on a 12 volt battery. BUT it is possible that the valve itself may have hung up inside the shaft instead of sliding in and out easily as it should. I will know more when I replace it when my new valve arrives in a couple of days.

Anyway, I would still like to know if the 05 Scion has 2 of those Oil Control Valves or not. Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 01:05 AM
SL Member

Default Update 2

The filter screen was 90% clean so I sprayed with a can of carb cleaner anyway. Next I replaced the Oil Control thingeee. It is called an "Engine Variable Timing Solenoid" at Autozone. Car still cranks but will not start. Next I will be double checking all fuses and connections. At this point I am beginning to suspect the ECU since I got a ton of codes all at once when this first happened and vehicle failed to start. I am hoping that it is not the camshaft gear wheel since that is the one part that I may not want to chance replacing by myself... and of course it is an expensive repair.

Grateful for anyone with suggestions that may have had this problem.

Last edited by 05xboxer; 07-10-2019 at 12:57 AM. Reason: FINAL UPDATE
Old 07-10-2019, 12:57 AM
SL Member

07-09-19 it has been 2 years. The reason the car would not start was because somehow my ECU came partially unplugged....This is why I had a ton of codes. After securing it, it started right up. The only thing I can think of is that the last time it started, the heater fan blower made a loud noise like there was something rubbing on the fan cage. That problem somehow had something to do with all of this. Maybe I accidently dislodged the ECU connection when investigating the problem with the heater blower. Wasted a lot of time on something so dumb!