Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

07 Scion tC Reverse Light issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:16 AM
SL Member

Default 07 Scion tC Reverse Light issue

I have an 07 Scion tC 2.4L 5 speed. I'm having trouble getting my reverse lights to work. The bulbs work fine. I'm getting proper volts to the switch on the transmission but nothing is working. When the lights quit working, I would put the transmission into reverse, and the backup lights would flicker on then off. I would have to move the transmission out of reverse then back into reverse a few times to get the lights to come on. Now, they just don't come on at all. Is there anyone that has had this issue or knows a solution? I don't have money to replace stuff so I'm hoping someone has a free fix.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-14-2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Sounds to me like either the circuit ground or the trans switch is bad. Trace and check the circuit ground for continuity first. that's your cheapest problem. As for the trans switch, getting voltage to it is only half the issue. Try putting your VOM set in DCV across the switched output and a ground. Have someone shift the car into reverse with the ignition in the "on" position. Watch for batt voltage on your VOM. Another test: Set the VOM to Ohms. With everything off, shift into reverse and measure resistance between the batt terminal on the switch and the switched output to the reverse lights. Resistance should be a couple of Ohms, tops. Actually, it should read zero resistance but a couple of Ohms will do. More than a few Ohms means the switch is bad. Your local boneyard should have a used one for a few bucks. They rarely go bad so the good used part should last years.

If the switch tests OK, it's time to check the wiring between the switch and the lights. Since both lights are equally affected, the problem will be either the switch, common switched power wiring or the circuit ground.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:39 AM
SL Member

I'll start testing it. Do you know where I can find the ground location at? Someone else said online they ground the reverse lights to the truck. But I have several grounds attached to my trunk and I don't know where to start.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Unfortunately, I've only had mine since May and aftermarket repair info is appalling so I'm not sure where exactly. They may use the same grounds as the taillight buckets so check operation of all your taillight functions. Start with the trans switch testing and see how it goes.