Notices

2008 Scion xB tire pressure warning light

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 AM

Default 2008 Scion xB tire pressure warning light

I buyed a 2008 Scion xB and the owner told me he replace all the rims and since then the light wont go off. And i would like to know what i have to do yo fix that problem. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-18-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum
Old 07-24-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Antonioruiz
I buyed a 2008 Scion xB and the owner told me he replace all the rims and since then the light wont go off. And i would like to know what i have to do yo fix that problem. Thanks in advance.
A small piece of black electrical tape will cover up the light quite well.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-18-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum
Old 09-18-2017, 12:41 AM

Default 2008 Scion xB tire pressure warning light

I have a 2008 Scion xB and my tire pressure warning light flashes and then stays on, I tried to reset it under steering wheel but no luck. Bought new tires which I needed anyways but still on. Any ideas?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-18-2017 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum
Old 09-07-2018, 02:23 PM
SL Member

You can easily remove the little LED for the tire pressure warning from your gauge cluster circuit board with a soldering iron and some tweezers. Removing the cluster is a piece of cake, literally takes a couple minutes and a screwdriver. The cluster comes apart easily.

Scion uses the dumber of the two methods of monitoring tire pressure. Some manufacturers use a more intelligent system that relies on the ABS sensors and rotational speed differences to determine if a tire is low. Scion (Toyota) uses the ridiculous style of system with physical sensors inside the wheel. The Toyota system is inferior for a variety of reasons I won't elaborate on, but it sucks.

TPMS came about for two reasons, for the most part. Some high performance cars began to use run-flat tires back in the day, and TPMS was implemented on those to give the driver some indication of low pressure. Porsches, Corvettes, etc. More of an influence was the Firestone / Explorer debacle in the 1990's. A bunch of people drove Explorers with defective tires, and a lot of those people were less than diligent about checking their tire pressure. Drivers who never checked pressure putting on lots of miles with chronically underinflated tires that were defective from the get-go equals bad things happening. So the government came in and mandated TMPS for everyone.

I've driven for a few decades now, and I regularly check my tires, as anyone operating a motor vehicle should. I've never had an issue due to lack of TPMS on a vehicle. Actually, I can't think of anyone I know who has suffered injury as a result of not having TPMS in their car, or a single person who was saved from some awful fate by having it.

Hence, due to Toyota's sub-par implementation (internal sensor vs. ABS based) and my regular preventive maintenance on my cars, my TPMS light may have mysteriously vanished from my gauge cluster.