Notices

xB Sway Bar placebo effect

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default xB Sway Bar placebo effect

Hello everyone, I'm trying to understand what I'm missing on the rear sway bar - Aftermarket and the TRD.

(2) Issues:

1st: The rear sway bars i've seen only attach to the rear end and not to the body/frame, so how does this help body roll? ie most rear sway bars connect the ends of the sway bar to lower spindle or close to each wheel no problem here from what I see, But the middle section of the bar is normally connected with 2 mounts and 2 poly/rubber bushings to the frame or body of the car. I've also seen rear wheel drive cars such as Crown Vics connect the middle section of the bar to the rear end and the ends of the sway bar to the frame of the car which if fine as well, it still solves the body roll issues by connecting the frame to the rear end. These don't connect the frame and rear end at all from what I can tell, so how does this help body roll?

2nd: Seeing that the rear end is one piece and not independent leads me to believe that the rear end has Horrible flexing problem, in which the sway bar is compensating for. Or there is a massive placebo effect for many driver's who all seem claim that most of the body roll is fixed with the sway bar mounted in this fashion. So is there some major flex issues with the xB's rear end that should be addressed?

Can anyone clear this up and shed some light. The body roll is killing me and I don't have that kind of extra cash to waste on a placebo.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-21-2017 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-23-2017, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, they only mount to the rear beam and yes they do make a difference. The stock rear beam is designed to flex so that you have a softer ride for the general public.

The rear sway bar definitely is not a placebo it does help. I have never use the TRD one as i went whole hog and did the Hotchkis front and rear replacement when I ran upgraded sway cars and the difference was dramatic. Currently I run a full set of chassis stiffeners from TB performance with the rear upper shock brace since I took the sway bars off, the rear one wouldn't fit with my drop beam in the rear. Both ways are a great way to go to stiffen up the body roll.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The RSB is effective. I run the TRD w/a the Megan Street C/o's

For a DD, My XB handles better than 90% of the rides out there.

My weekend car is an EvO w/a full track suspension