Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC2 TSB Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:16 AM

Default tC2 TSB Issue?

I'm not sure if I'm in the correct place to be posting this, but I just created an account because I can't seem to find the information I need on google.

I just purchased a 2011 Scion tC with 100xxx miles on it from a 3rd party dealership came with a 3 month warranty on the engine and transmission.
The issue I'm having is what sounds like a spray can being sprayed when I release the clutch pedal. I can hear it when I drive and it only goes away when the clutch pedal is pressed.
Apart from the slight annoyance, the car drives fine. All I have found so far is a TSB from Scion https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/98113/S-SB-0008-13 saying that it's an input shaft bearing causing the issue, and countless videos like this one
that sound exactly like mine with relatively no answers.
My questions for this would be if this in fact is an TSB issue, is it considered an "Internal lubricated part" for warranty purposes? If not is it safe toter up the radio and wait until I need to replace my clutch to get this done as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-08-2017 at 03:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2018, 04:01 PM

It is an internal lubricated part. However, check your clauses of what is not covered. many warranties choose not to cover bearings.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have this same thing on my '13 tC. I had no idea what it was and it got progressively louder.

I only have about 35K on the clock and took it in to the dealer only to be told that the 5 year 60K warranty is expired and would have to pay out of pocket!! WTF??????

I am only 3 months out of warranty as it was bought in February and they offered to do nothing free of charge.

Has anyone had any luck with TOTOTA covering this being just out of the warranty guidelines????
Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE: called Toyota customer service, pretty much said F U we're not paying.

Asked to speak with Customer Relations MGR at local dealership (per advice from Toyota USA). Same guy as the Service Manager and stated that he had to completely disassemble the transmission in order to properly diagnose the root cause and at that point he may not be able get it covered from District Manager, or he may and at that point I would be on the hook to pay for entire repair, disassembly etc at full cost! I don't think so, I'm not gambling with my checkbook.

Any advice, suggestions guys/gals???