Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission Fluid Condition and Color What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:27 AM

Question Transmission Fluid Condition and Color What to do???

Fellow Toaster Fans,

Here's the deal, I recently got a nice used 2008 xB, 2.4L, Automatic Transmission, 125k miles. I live in a hot climate if that matters.
I got it a few weeks ago and everything is running and shifting smooth. It is smooth and easy going from gear to gear, I don't have any
trouble or hear any awful noises or slipping while shifting, driving it is nice and gravy. There are no leaks at all.

I do check the fluid levels regularly, and when checking out this car the transmission fluid is a bit of a brownish-coffee color and has a slight burnt smell.
The fluid is definitely clear and translucent, just a brownish color, like someone spilled their Starbucks on a piece of paper. I know that a nice red color means good,
clean fluid and jet black fluid means big problems! this fluid is definitely not black and there are no specs of metal in there. (See Photo):

Transmission Fluid status - light coffee brown. Did 3 dipstick wipes to get a good read on the color and smell.

I want to go ahead and get this fluid nice and red again, but how and what service should I get? What service do I need really? I've heard that a transmission fluid flush can cause serious problems
and even failures and that it's a huge headache. Others have said to just do a drain/refill/change.
What is best for my situation and condition? Is my fluid in terrible shape from the photos and descriptions here or is just ready for a change?

Thank you in advance, I'm loving the Scion, I've wanted one for years and got one so I want to take care of this little beast well.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-18-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-2018, 05:00 AM

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller???
Old 02-07-2018, 02:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi Bill

Sorry, this forum does not get a lot of activity. I do my best & check threads everyday or so.

Ive got a 2012 auto similar to yours but only 35K miles. Have not read up on the oil intervals for the trans.

Be best to cycle that fluid out & start fresh. Theres got to be a how-to on line. Have you searched it here or Youtube?

Joe
Old 02-07-2018, 03:56 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Default Here is the Official 2008 Scion xB Maintenance Schedule

Originally Posted by BillMidbar2008
Here's the deal, I recently got a nice used 2008 xB, 2.4L, Automatic Transmission, 125k miles. I want to go ahead and get this fluid nice and red again, but how and what service should I get? What service do I need really? I've heard that a transmission fluid flush can cause serious problems and even failures and that it's a huge headache. Others have said to just do a drain/refill/change. What is best for my situation and condition? Is my fluid in terrible shape from the photos and descriptions here or is just ready for a change?
If you are Not the Original Owner, and do not have the Maintenance records you have no idea what was done or not done.
The photos indicate the Transmission Fluid was not Change at the Recommended 120,000 Miles or 144 Months interval. It should be Red, not Brown.

Here is the Official 2008 Scion xB Maintenance Schedule:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...IONxB_0001.pdf

I would use Page 23 - 120,000 Miles or 144 Months as a Check List and Check or Perform all items listed. If necessary, use a Qualified Shop/Technician to perform the services you are unable to do on your own.

Hope this helps,

MR_LUV

Old 02-12-2018, 04:24 AM

Hi Mr_Luv

When buying it I did see maintenance records the car had for oil changes, belts, batteries, tires, pulleys etc, but I didn't see anything on the transmission fluid or any flushes or changes done on it.
So you are right, I can't be sure of what was done or not done on this element.

I did have the manual in the glove box and it's the same as the attachment you sent, I appreciate it.

I am taking the first step to address this issue, I have an appointment for a tune up and a tranny drain and fill. I've called up a bunch of Toyota dealerships and independent shops alike and the consensus is with xB's
(and Toyotas and Hondas in general) just get the drain and refill, flushes are an iffy, risky, why risk it kind of thing...I'll go with that advice.

Let's see how it goes! I'll keep everyone informed and recheck my ATF level right after...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-12-2018 at 05:11 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2018, 05:43 PM

I flush and service all my transmissions at 60k
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 AM
SIT
SL Member

I agree with Mr_Luv, the tranny fluid should be red. I would start with a drain and refill with a quality, recommended fluid.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm late to the dance too...
Some people like to use a different transmission fluid that is not necessarily red.
In cases like this, it is best to do a flush and fill, which is done with a special machine that isn't worth buying for the DIY'er. That way you can get all the suspect fluid out and refill with the correct toyota stuff
Google this for fun - automatic transmission fluid changing machine
Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MR_LUV
If you are Not the Original Owner, and do not have the Maintenance records you have no idea what was done or not done.
The photos indicate the Transmission Fluid was not Change at the Recommended 120,000 Miles or 144 Months interval. It should be Red, not Brown.

Here is the Official 2008 Scion xB Maintenance Schedule:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...IONxB_0001.pdf

I would use Page 23 - 120,000 Miles or 144 Months as a Check List and Check or Perform all items listed. If necessary, use a Qualified Shop/Technician to perform the services you are unable to do on your own.

Hope this helps,

MR_LUV

Thank you. I couldn't find it. If it says 120k, the thing will go 200k with nothing. Is there a separate differential that needs service? It doesn't even say change it at 120k miles .. It doesn't say it anywhere ..!! lolz Is this supposed to also be a lifetieme fluid? .. Too bad we go the shaft here & they no longer sell this car.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

On a FWD the transmission is the differential/transaxle. On ATX It's generally best practice to check the transmission fluid every 30k and if it is not a bright red color then do a drain and refill. For ATX OEM fluid should be fine. Avoid fluid flushes if possible as they can suck contaminants back thru the system and seals that you do not want going thru them. On MTX you can generally go 75-100k on fluid depending on driving habits. Obviously, if shifting becomes notchy or sticky, swapping the fluid is a good first place to start.

The maintenance schedule says to check the fluid - that means to inspect it and that it doesn't need to be serviced unless there is a problem. Fluid like what is posted in the OP should definitely be changed regardless of what the book says.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What should I use in my 2011? This stuff ok or is there a less expensive option? How much comes out when you drain? I think the book says there's 6 quarts in there, but I doubt more than 4 will come out with a drain... I'm guessing...
https://www.carid.com/aisin/auto-tra...7&url=79964234

Can use this instead?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...allon/15125768

Last edited by XBroker; 07-18-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

According to the label, the maxlife stuff IS compatible with world standard.

The Aisin stuff is also compatible. I think Aisin is the company that manufactured your transmission.