Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

06 xB - Rough idle - Out of ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 06 xB - Rough idle - Out of ideas

Scanned the forums but did not find exactly what helps my situation unless I am not understanding. (Most likely!)

06 xB. 345k. 1st owner. Religiously maintained and driven conservatively. Last year the VSC and Trac Control came on. Pulled the plugs. All four worn to the nub. Replaced with Iridium NGK gapped at .032 Ran ok for the next year. Started idling rough last couple months. Pulled plugs
and they looked 'OK' but replaced with like for like and gapped at .035. Ran terrible and CEL lights lit up like Christmas. Gapped at .044 and reset ECU. Ran OK but then noticed after acceleration and if driven around 75mph for a couple miles when I came to a stop the idle was very rough.
Not getting CEL lights.

Possible coils? I bought some but tried the plug gap first. Now no so sure what to do. I don't want to try the coils if that isn't a possible solution because then I'm stuck with $100 in parts I cannot return.

I did get a P0302 code with the CEL lights. That's why I bought the coils but now my codes are clear.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-16-2018 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by skrappi
Scanned the forums but did not find exactly what helps my situation unless I am not understanding. (Most likely!)

06 xB. 345k. 1st owner. Religiously maintained and driven conservatively. Last year the VSC and Trac Control came on. Pulled the plugs. All four worn to the nub. Replaced with Iridium NGK gapped at .032 Ran ok for the next year. Started idling rough last couple months. Pulled plugs
and they looked 'OK' but replaced with like for like and gapped at .035. Ran terrible and CEL lights lit up like Christmas. Gapped at .044 and reset ECU. Ran OK but then noticed after acceleration and if driven around 75mph for a couple miles when I came to a stop the idle was very rough.
Not getting CEL lights.

Possible coils? I bought some but tried the plug gap first. Now no so sure what to do. I don't want to try the coils if that isn't a possible solution because then I'm stuck with $100 in parts I cannot return.

I did get a P0302 code with the CEL lights. That's why I bought the coils but now my codes are clear.
If you've got access to an ohmmeter you can test each coil pack to see if it falls within spec...

If you can access a meter and cannot find the specs let me know but at 345K I would say replacing coil packs, especially if they haven't previously been replaced, isn't a bad idea anyway.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Replaced coil packs. Still idles rough. Now the VSC, Trac and check engine light are on again. Wow. I’m stumped. Going to re-gap the plugs from .044 to .032 and clean the throttle body. Hopefully that will help. Pretty sure I’m going to have to take her to a good Toyota shop and get a proper diagnosis done because I’m completely out of ideas.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Have you had the codes pulled again when the CEL came back on?

I can guarantee it isn't the gap of the plugs...lots of threads listing the dreaded VSC, Trac, CEL combo and seemingly lots of causes. Try cleaning the throttle body, as you already said you were going to do, and get a good electronics cleaner and clean off the MAF sensor also. Any smell of gas when you park the car...if so, I might start looking at the charcoal canister and the associated lines/hoses.

Last thing, and it's far more effort, might be a faulty cam position sensor or VVTI solenoid, both of which are a significantly more involved and expensive repair.

Threads for reference:

VSC, Trac and CEL Causes 1

VSC, Trac and CEL Causes 2

VSC, Trac and CEL Causes 3

Lots of reading and lots of causes and this one has always seemed to be a joy to troubleshoot and fix as so many things can cause it.

Last edited by MileHightC; 07-05-2018 at 03:01 PM.