Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 01:31 AM
SL Member

Default DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB

This helped me identify my Reverse Light problem.

I looked through several pages of the Scion manuals and they all had a cartoon outline, but nothing really definitive.
Everything I searched on Google kept bringing me back to this post.
I was scratching my head thinking it had something to do with how the stereo hooks into the backup-camera as that seemed to have gone out as well.
I work on my cars when I can, but I'm by no means a mechanic.

Second - To add additional information for 2006 Scion xA owners.
This probably works for 2006 Scion xB owners as we share a lot of the same parts, etc...
Anyways.. Looking at the information and pictures provided by NeveNelEstate, I struggled to find the Reverse Switch.

So - You will needed everything mentioned above plus another item:

12MM Socket with a long extension
1 1/16 Socket with a really long extension.
10MM Socket with a long extension

1.) Remove the Air Filter Box.

A.) Remove the intake hose that connects from the Air Filter Box to the Intake. One end connects to the intake, the other connects to the stock air filter box.
You can use a screw driver to loosen the hose clamps, although I found the 10MM socket to work much better.

B.) Use a 10mm to remove the bolt that is holding down the bottom hose which is connected from the bottom of the Air Filter Box to the an area right near the front of the battery.

C.) Unclamp the 2 clamps holding down the front of the Air Filter box. Slide the front of the box forward then move it up and out of the way.

D.) Using a 10mm with a really long extension remove the 3 bolts holding down the bottom of the Air Filter Box.

2.) Unclip the Harness to the Back-Up Light Switch (Reverse Light Switch).
You will notice you cannot remove the wiring harness from the Back-Up Light Switch as the wire is bound down on the L-Shaped platform by a clip.
Move the Cable away from the corner of that L to expose the top of the clip.
Using a pair of small needle nose pliers you will see the 2 ends of the clip. Pinch them together and use your finder to push the clip out from underneath it.
(See the Attachments)
You should now be able to remove the wiring harness from the back-up light switch.
3.) Use the 1 and 1/16 Socket to remove the Back-Up Light Switch.

When re-installing the Switch - For the Scion xA - The Torque spec is 30 Foot Pounds.

Attached Thumbnails DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_182222.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_182541.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_182134.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_182130.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_200838.jpg  

DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_200817.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_201424.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_201017.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_200824.jpg   DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_201430.jpg  

DIY: Manual Trans Back-up (Reverse) Light Switch for xA/xB-p_20160527_201615.jpg  

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-23-2018 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 06-01-2016, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Steven4x4
Yes, I know I'm reopening a 8 year old thread.

First - To Say - Thank You!
This helped me identify my reverse light problem.
I looked through several pages of the scion manuals and they all had a cartoon outline, but nothing really definitive.
Everything I searched on google kept bringing me back to this post.
I was scratching my head thinking it hed something to do with how the stereo hooks into the backup-camera as that seemed to have gone out as well.
I work on my cars when I can, but I'm by no means a mechanic.

Second - To add additional information for 2006 Scion xA owners.
This probably works for 2006 Scion xB owners as we share a lot of the same parts, etc...
Anyways.. Looking at the information and pictures provided by NeveNelEstate, I struggled to find the Reverse Switch.

Soooo - You will needed everything mentioned above plus another item:
12MM Socket with a long extension
1 1/16 Socket with a really long extension.
10MM Socket with a long extension
3 Beers (Optional)

1.) Remove the Air Filter Box.
A.) Remove the intake hose that connects from the Air Filter Box to the Intake.
One end connects to the intake, the other connects to the stock air filter box.
You can use a screw driver to loosen the hose clamps, although I found the 10MM socket to work much better.
B.) Use a 10mm to remove the bolt that is holding down the bottom hose which is connected from the bottom of the Air Filter Box to the an area right near the front of the battery.
C.) Unclamp the 2 clamps holding down the front of the Air Filter box. Slide the front of the box forward then move it up and out of the way.
D.) Using a 10mm with a really long extension remove the 3 bolts holding down the bottom of the Air Filter Box.

2.) Unclip the Harness to the Back-Up Light Switch (Reverse Light Switch).
You will notice you cannot remove the wiring harness from the Back-Up Light Switch as the wire is bound down on the L-Shaped platform by a clip.
Move the Cable away from the corner of that L to expose the top of the clip.
Using a pair of small needle nose pliers you will see the 2 ends of the clip. Pinch them together and use your finder to push the clip out from underneath it.
(See the Attachments)
You should now be able to remove the wiring harness from the back-up light switch.
3.) Use the 1 and 1/16 Socket to remove the Back-Up Light Switch.
When re-installing the Switch - For the Scion xA - The Torque spec is 30 Foot Pounds.
This is all well and good, but I recommend posting this in the xA forum. Not many people are going to think to look in the tC section.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-23-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 06-23-2018, 06:46 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Thumbs up

Old 05-29-2019, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just replaced the back up light switch on my xA. This thread was helpful.