Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

06 Scion tC, Coolant Leak around Intake Manifold..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 02:14 AM

Default 06 Scion tC, Coolant Leak around Intake Manifold..

I have an 06 Scion tC, it has 206,000 miles, it’s just a little work car, I just recently replaced the fuel pump and now I have a coolant leak around my Intake manifold on the back of the engine, it’s not a blown head gasket, there is no white smoke, no
foamy or watery oil, the leak is external and it’s dripping onto my exhaust. What coolant hoses are in this area? Could it be a stuck thermostat? I hear some water in my dash, I’ve burped the radiator recently and of course with a leak it’s got air in it again.

Update, the heat doesn’t blow hot unless is les up and it’s beginning to overheat when the heat is on.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-16-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:45 AM
SL Member

I'm having the exact same problem. 2006 tC 161k miles, just bought it for a commuter and been chasing the problem until I've finally discovered where the leak is.
There's a foam pad about half an inch think protruding from under the intake manifold and it's soaked with coolant. System works fine at idle but loses a lot of coolant when driving around.

Pressure test fails. Any help is appreciated.

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-16-2020 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pdxactor
Pressure test fails. Any help is appreciated._____

I'd check for loose manifold bolts and or a defective manifold gasket.

TSB #S-SB-0004-11 deals with coolant leaks due to insufficient head bolts. The fix involves tapping bigger and longer threads into the bolt holes and replacing original bolts with the modified version. Good luck with the fix.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 62Fender

I'd check for loose manifold bolts and or a defective manifold gasket.

TSB #S-SB-0004-11 deals with coolant leaks due to insufficient head bolts. The fix involves tapping bigger and longer threads into the bolt holes and replacing original bolts with the modified version. Good luck with the fix.

Toyota only warranties diagnosis of the stripped head studs. They do not warranty fixing the problem. I even had a issue getting them to check if that was the problem
Old 06-16-2021, 09:01 PM
SL Member

Could Possibly be a leaking heater core or heater core line? Hard to say when I can't check it in person. If you could get some pictures it could help to diagnose or find the leaking area.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, find the leak! Clean EVERYTHING off so there's no drip residue. So clean, you can eat off it. Then idle car while looking around area of leak to see source. There's also ultraviolet dyes you can get to put into coolant. Then shine fluorescent black-light around area to see where leak starts.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:18 PM
SL Member

I would not recommend using any form of stop leak/head gasket repair. Some people have had success with stop leaks but don't recommend it. It can potentially clog areas in the cooling system that could lead to engine damage. It's best to find the leak and repair it correctly as well as find out why it started leaking in the first place. Where is the external leak at?
Old 12-07-2021, 11:26 PM
SL Member

What year is your car?

If the leak is from the back and the dealership said it was a head gasket, my guess is the head studs have stripped causing the leak.

If you want to try, you can use the head gasket/stop leak to try to get the leak to seal since you're sort of in a tough spot with not many options.

Make sure you follow the directions best you can and try not to use too much as it can result in clogging parts of the system.

It may not work if the leak is too big and if it does work, you can get a little more out of the car before the leak will need to be addressed.

Old 12-08-2021, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. Drive car up on
ramps ramps
and crawl under with
flashlight flashlight
to identify source of leak.

2. At least do compression-test to verify if it's really headgasket.

3. Most likely just leaky hose from water-pump. Or weeping water-pump.
That's intentional design to let you know water-pump needs replacing.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:20 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by pdxactor
I'm having the exact same problem. 2006 tC 161k miles, just bought it for a commuter and been chasing the problem until I've finally discovered where the leak is.
There's a foam pad about half an inch think protruding from under the intake manifold and it's soaked with coolant. System works fine at idle but loses a lot of coolant when driving around.

Pressure test fails. Any help is appreciated.

_____
I know this is an old thread, but if you found the cause to this issue the info would be appreciated, I’m having the same problem.