Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Front Clip..

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 04:15 AM
SL Member

Default Front Clip..

I have an 05 xB. I believe the front clip (bumper covers, skirts, plastic molding) is aftermarket. I'm hearing some noise at speed from the front end, and I'm concerned the previous owner did not fully attach the new pieces to the front end. Is there anyone out there that would mind giving me a photo of the
underside of the front end to see what brackets, plates, mounting straps, etc. are in place on a stock xB? Perhaps a few photos of the area directly under the radiator. At present, I've two inner fenders that do not really attach to anything solid under the front bumper/valence area. Clarity would be nice.
If anyone has factory information for those brackets and their replacement, I'd take that information. I'm off to the dealer to see what they can provide for pics, but just imagine buying something through Toyota! $$$.

Thanks, if you can. Mike.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-26-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would an exploded diagram help?

Old 12-29-2018, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's another diagram that shows the fender liner fasteners.

Old 12-30-2018, 02:07 AM
SL Member

Many thanks, 62Fender, however the exploded views miss what these part attach to. I am concerned that something is missing. Something that the screws/plastic fasteners (ref 51-02) attach to. For example, what do the inner plastic fenders attach to? What does the lower body piece attach to?
So thanks, but the inner pieces are needed.
Cheers - HNY!
m
Old 12-30-2018, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could hook you up with a complete, digitized 2005 xB service manual (including body repair). Unfortunately, scionlife won't let me post the link.

If you're interested, go to ebay and search "2005 xB Service Manual" without the quotation marks. Sort returns by Price + Shipping: Lowest First.

The cheapest option is less than $10.

HNY to you, too.

Last edited by 62Fender; 12-30-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

See if this helps you at all...

Old 12-30-2018, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by 62Fender
I could hook you up with a complete, digitized 2005 xB service manual (including body repair). Unfortunately, scionlife won't let me post the link.
You cannot post links to Toyota copyrighted documentation because several years ago Toyota went after the forums that were hosting things like service manuals, etc. and hit them with 'Cease and Desist' orders...they used to be available on here but were removed for legal reasons.

Additionally, I combed through my service manual this morning looking for some screen shots, etc. that I could post and there is nothing in there that details installation/removal of the various pieces underneath the front of the car. They don't even detail things like fender removal...
Old 12-30-2018, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"You cannot post links to Toyota copyrighted documentation"

I didn't.

"there is nothing in there"

Maybe you're not looking in the right place.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

I never claimed you posted any Toyota copyrighted material as my response was merely an explanation as to why ScionLife wouldn't let you post the link...maybe you misunderstood the intent of the post.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"I never claimed you posted"

Never said you did.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Smile

"I never claimed you posted"

Never said you did.
Really?

Your previous post where you clearly stated, "I didn't," certainly infers that some insinuation was made that you had.

If you've got the collision section of the Service Manual I'd ask that you take a screenshot(s) of the pages that address the OP's questions and post them, just as you had done with the parts diagram, as I doubt anyone is going to get too spun-up over another diagram or two being posted.

I'm sure we could continue to play the semantics game all day, which is only going to detract from the original intent of the post, but I'm sure each of us has far better things to do today so, with that being said, I'll wish you and everyone else a very happy and, more importantly, safe New Year.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"certainly infers"

Ouch.

"If you've got the collision section of the Service Manual I'd ask that you take a screenshot(s)"

It may not be in the collision section however it is documented. Anything that requires you to remove your bumper is diagrammed and or texted. If removing the bumper is required for multiple repairs, such as changing your headlamps, it'll only be listed in one section. The other sections will only reference the section it's documented, otherwise the printed version would cost even more than $300.

Last edited by 62Fender; 01-02-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Once again, your previous statement seems to infer you won't be posting any diagrams or an answer to the OP's inquiry despite the fact you're insinuating you have it or know where to find it.

Seems a very unique stance you're taking and a pretty circuitous path to not answer someone's question but to each their own.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dear michael73, sorry for the cross chatter. Good luck with your repair.

Dear moderator, my info is tC specific and probably wouldn't help michael73.
Old 01-01-2019, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
you're taking and a pretty circuitous path.
Circuitous is a pretty good description of Toyota service manuals. Although I didn't know specifically where bumper maintenance is documented, I do know that cursory glances at single sections rarely score.
So I had to think of a procedure I'm already aware of that requires taking off the front bumper.

Headlamp assembly removal/ reassembly requires bumper removal so I referenced the "Lighting" section of my service manual. While the "Lighting" section diagrams and documents how to remove/ reassemble the headlamp assemblies, it does NOT document bumper removal/ reassembly. Fortunately, it references the "Exterior" section and that's where bumper specifics are documented. Took less time to find it than typing this response.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you've got the collision section of the Service Manual I'd ask that you take a screenshot(s) of the pages that address the OP's questions and post them, just as you had done with the parts diagram, as I doubt anyone is going to get too spun-up over another diagram or two being posted.
It's in the 'Exterior' section.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

It's in the 'Exterior' section.
It seems that you and I at least agree upon the structure and 'ease of navigation' of the Toyota Service Manuals.

Unfortunately, the xB manual doesn't sound as if it's structured the same as your tC manual as headlight replacement, for which they provide left-hand headlight replacement instruction, is detailed in the 'Lighting' section and doesn't include front bumper removal but rather references the instructions for that process, which are detailed in the 'Exterior' section.

Looking at that section (attached) it doesn't detail any of the components under the vehicle. Weak at best...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
conponen.pdf (53.7 KB, 125 views)
File Type: pdf
replacement.pdf (44.7 KB, 117 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like enough info to me. As for "underneath", your diagram indicates your spoiler strap fasteners, even though you can't see the straps themselves. The second diagram I posted up top shows 5 or 6 spoiler straps in broken lines - - - - - to indicate they're hidden from view.

The inner spoiler straps connect to the mud splash under the radiator and ac coil. The two outer spoiler straps connect to the front ends of the fender liners. That's about all the "underneath" there is.

Last edited by 62Fender; 01-03-2019 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

- for which they provide left-hand headlight replacement instruction...
Because 'symmetrical' means you really don't need the right one.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Because 'symmetrical' means you really don't need the right one.
Oh, I completely understand why they only included instructions for one side...I'm just curious if the Japanese Service Manuals for the bB detail instructions for the right-hand side.

Quick Reply: Front Clip..