Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Hardwire radar detector to fuse box underneath steering wheel?

Old 05-18-2019, 02:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Hardwire radar detector to fuse box underneath steering wheel?

So I bought one of these add a fuse kits to hardwire my radar detector instead if hard wiring into my lights where you co trol the sunroof because practically all the DIYs are no longer available with pictures. It works well and I got it working without having to splice wires but I wanted to know if anyone know which fuse in that particular fuse box would work better as in instantly puts power in the cable as soon as I turn the ignition and turns off when I turn the car off. I have my add a fuse kit connected to the fuse for my head lights. So whenever I start to turn on my DRLs then it would supply power to my hardwire cord. Just trying to make it more convenient rather than having to always turn my lights on to power the wire.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xdejablu3x
... which fuse in that particular fuse box would work better as in instantly puts power in the cable as soon as I turn the ignition and turns off when I turn the car off.
Your ACC circuit is unswitched but you'd have to manually turn off your radar detector to avoid draining your battery. I kinda like your light switch idea because it doesn't drain the battery and the light switch is easier to toggle than the radar detector switch.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Your ACC circuit is unswitched but you'd have to manually turn off your radar detector to avoid draining your battery. I kinda like your light switch idea because it doesn't drain the battery and the light switch is easier to toggle than the radar detector switch.
I'll probably leave it the way it is in this case. The only thing that made the installation inconvenient was that my kit came with mini fuses and inputs instead of the low profile mini fuses our car uses. Had to make a quick trip to O'Reilly's to get the right ones.