Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Tranny fluid low?

Old 06-09-2019, 06:06 PM
SL Member

Default Tranny fluid low?

Just had a shop drain/refill my transmission fluid in my car and they are saying I didn't give them enough fluid. I have 2006 Manual B. I gave them 2 qts of Redline MT90 to do the job and they say its half a qt short.
I read a DIY on here stating 2 qt's and they're telling me I need more.... I saw them drain it, they didn't pump it out or anything just used the regular drain plug.
They said it's fine to drive so I drove home. I know I can pop off the airbox and fill it up but I'm not sure how much to put in.

Do I fill it until it's topped off and leaking out just a little then put the bolt back in?

_____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-09-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

According to the 2006 xB manual, you're correct. 1.9 liters or 2.0 US quarts. The answer to your question is yes. On level ground remove the fill plug (not the drain plug.) A correctly filled gearbox should be slap full to the bottom of the fill hole. If no oil drips out, you can stick the tip of your index finger into the fill hole. The gear oil shouldn't be any lower than 5mm below the bottom of the fill hole.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:09 AM
SL Member

Alright I'll have to check it out tomorrow because its scary to think I'm low on transmission fluid.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Did mine a while back and used 2 quarts of Redline MT90 just like you...if they put in both full quarts you should be fine.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you ATX or MTX? If you are significantly low you usually will hear a little tranny whine coming from the transmission. Always buy at least one extra quart of transmission fluid just in case. The fill procedures are as follows:

If MTX, yes fill until until it starts to drip out of the fill hole then cap it off.

If ATX, you will need to bring the vehicle up to operating temp and (while its idling in park) check the fluid, it should be between the marks on the dipstick. If its low, you will need to add a little and then recheck and repeat until it's near the top mark.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 AM
SL Member

Ok I'm completely ____ing confused here. I drove the car to work today(120 mile round trip) and it felt good. Got home and my Redline MT90 came in so I figured I'd top it off and make sure there is enough fluid in there. I disconnected battery, removed airbox, undid the 24mm bolt and started filling her up. After she took half a qt I was scratching my head as I gave those guys 2 qt's of Redline MT90 and they used both of them... So I keep filling and filling until the entire qt bottle was empty. I was going slow expecting it to overflow, but it did not. So is it possible to overfill this transmission? Or did they simply short change me and not put nearly enough in? I'm not a ____ mechanic I've done my fair share of work but now I'm kinda scared. I've done timing belts, water pumps, seals, alternators, starters, bearings, etc... but I've never done transmission fluid before and I just got this car so I don't want to ____ anything up.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 AM
SL Member

I followed this guide...

https://www.clubxb.com/forums/scion-...nsmission.html

Are we talking about the same fill holes? Or are you referring to the one pointing towards the radiator? Because I'm filling from the top hole under the airbox, expecting fluid to come out of the top of it...
Old 06-12-2019, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. I'm looking at the repair manual diagram and I still can't find the plug that the guy used in your how-to link.

The fill plug in the diagram screws in horizontally. And yes, it looks like it faces the radiator.

As you probably guessed, it's not good to run the tranny with 1/3rd too much gear oil. You'll probably need to purge the excess from the gearbox. You can pump it from the top hole or drain it from the side or the bottom. Whichever gives you the easiest access and makes the least amount of mess.

If you go with the drain hole or radiator-facing fill hole, don't completely remove the plug or it will flow too fast. Hold the unscrewed bolt against the bung until your catch container is in place. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 PM
SL Member

I took my motorcycle to work today because it got dark last night and I didn't have time to check and drain any excess fluid. I guess under the airbox is the fill hole, bottom of transmission is the drain hole, and front of it is the check hole... Assuming fluid has to be level with the check hole makes the most sense. Just read a few different threads and got a bit confused I guess.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:54 AM
SL Member

Well I completely leveled the car with multiple jacks and opened up the "check" plug. A little more than half a qt came out, some darker fluid first and then some of the new stuff. A few very small metal shavings too. I feel pretty confident she's exactly where she needs to be, but that's based off the "until it stops oozing out" theory. I can't seem to find this job in the repair manual I have so if anyone does have a repair manual please pm me.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Biddles
...I guess under the airbox is the fill hole.
Only if you know how much is in it and how much you need.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by 62Fender
Only if you know how much is in it and how much you need.
Exactly...the bolt you removed on the top isn't a true 'fill hole'. Filling would usually be done via the 'check' hole using a hose and pump setup...just like filling a differential on a RWD car or truck. They don't typically have fill holes in them either but some guys will yank an ABS sensor and use that as a pseudo-'fill hole'.

If you're at the point where fluid has just stopped draining out of the fill plug hole you should be all good.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:10 AM

I just read your post. That's not the transmission fluid. That's the Differential. The Transmission (manual) uses the same plug for drain and fill.
It will smell very earthy but also kinda synthetic. I can take pictures, as well as step by step Instruct you on any Preventive maintenance you need. Including the amount you need to fill, and what plug to take out.

If you still need a PM, send me one or drop a reply. I will gladly help you out. I've done all my own work on my 2006 xB.
Nothing but the best Royal Purple Trans, Diff, and Engine Oil. K&N Air Filter, with a K&N Oil filter.

Also! If you need info on how much to put in your xB or what type. You can give Vato-Zone a call, they can give you that info. If they can't seem to find that info, simply ask for someone else or a manager.
If all else fails, Google AMSOil they have the specs for EVERYTHING Fluid wise.
Just use the vehicle look up.

***DISCLAIMER***
I am not in association with any of the companies mentioned above.
I'm just a mechanic here to help and looking for ideas, and other peoples experience to help further my own.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Redbaron2005
I just read your post. That's not the transmission fluid. That's the Differential. The Transmission (manual) uses the same plug for drain and fill.
On a manual xB the transmission and differential are the same unit and there is only one drain and fill plug and they share fluid...

There is a decent write-up here although what is referred to as the 'fill port' in this post isn't actually a 'fill port' but it can be used as long as you only use 2 quarts and don't overfill:
Manual Transmission/Differential Fluid Change
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by MileHightC
On a manual xB the transmission and differential are the same unit and there is only one drain and fill plug and they share fluid...

There is a decent write-up here although what is referred to as the 'fill port' in this post isn't actually a 'fill port' but it can be used as long as you only use 2 quarts and don't overfill:
Manual Transmission/Differential Fluid Change
You're absolutely right, I just use the side 24mm for a level check.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stock fill port pros: Best way to avoid overfill.

Stock fill port cons: You need an oil pump. That's probably why some folks use the "top" hole. I get by with a tranny funnel and a flexible tube which makes it easy to fill from the engine bay and still drain potential excess.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:45 PM
SL Member

Well my car shifts very smooth now, but considering the old fluid that's not surprising, I can't say how redline compares to new oem fluid but I'm happy with it.