Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2010 xB Idler Pulley Help..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 AM
SL Member

Default 2010 xB Idler Pulley Help..

So I have done some research and have worked on my car a lot. I saw that I could remove the idler pulley assembly by loosening the bolt then the other 2 mounting bolts behind it. Like a idiot I was using a closed end ratchet wrench.
Well between me being a idiot and and other events the wrench and bolt are backed in to the sidewall. I have almost cut my wrench off but at the same time I'm using vice grips to manually back the bolt back in.
I noticed it gets hard in one spot and I fear that the bolt might be bent as well. I have loosened the motor mount on the passenger side next to water pump and alternator (car is on a jack, and I have a separate jack with a board to support bottom of motor)
I have also loosened the middle bottom motor mount from underneath the car. I can get the motor to move but not enough to free the bolt or wrench (assuming its to tight against the sidewall?) Maybe 2 inches at the most.

From what I understand by loosening these motor mounts it should drop enough so that i can access this bolt correct and could the bolt just be to tight against the sidewall to prevent motor from dropping more?
Not sure what to do, do I keep grinding away with my Dremmel til the wrench is off or do I cut the bolt and hope that I can find one at a hardware store

Does anyone have the specs on this 14mm bolt? and can someone confirm what motor mounts to loosen/remove?
I do really appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

_______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-21-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you post some pics of the area you're working on?
Old 06-23-2019, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xjayhx
... From what I understand by loosening these motor mounts it should drop
I think you're supposed to raise the motor instead of dropping it. Here's a few tips for a 2008 xB. May be similar to yours.

Does anyone have the specs on this 14mm bolt? and can someone confirm what motor mounts to loosen/remove?
I do really appreciate the help and thank you in advance.

Here's a timing chain cover that "may" reference the bolt and part number.

https://parts.toyota.com/a/Scion_201...4460-1106.html
Old 06-26-2019, 05:09 PM
SL Member

Steps taken

So I got it figured out. Yes you raise the motor, and the clearance is there. After lifting the motor several times the bolt was luckily out far enough to get knocked in a position to unscrew it. Then unscrewing the other 2 bolts to remove the pulley assembly.
Put back pulley on straight and tight. And reinstalled pulley with motor still up. It took a bit of patience to get assembly back in but with motor up you can get the top bolt tight, and with motor down you can get the bottom tight.
I would recommend the bottom one first it’s the easiest and once it’s set you can lightly tap assembly to fit back in its pocket. Then raise motor and tighten with a ratchet thru hole in pulley. Wife has car or I would post some pictures.

Thanx for the help guys and sorry about late post.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-26-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the followup. That's good to know about the engine position/ bolt detail. Glad you got it fixed.