Notices

Who has Camber Adjustment Bolts?

Old 07-10-2019, 11:54 PM

Default Who has Camber Adjustment Bolts?

OG Scion owner/Scionlife member. New forum name because its been looong time since I was here, new emails etc, but still owning and driving my RS1 and RS7s.

My RS7 has been eating tires (and brake pads) like crazy since new. I bought camber adjustment bolts for the front struts. Tire wear is severe inside tread, but no noticeable cupping. I have never attempted to have it aligned, as I'm waiting to install the adjustment bolts. Well, last brake pads I replaced I decided to install the camber bolts so I could get a proper alignment.

So I am looking to find anyone who has used these, or an alignment tech who visits here who is familiar with these parts.

When I removed the upper strut bolt to replace with the adjustable eccentric bolt, the strut housing did not have a notch or hole for the washer that comes with the adjustment bolts to fit into. Hard to explain if you have not seen it, but if you do this on cars then you understand. This tab on the washer keeps it oriented correctly to allow the bolt eccentric to adjust camber. These are stock OEM struts with the TRD lowering springs on RS7s.

The parts I bought are Moog K90477. The bolts appear to be correct (17mm) size, but the tabbed washers have no hole to go into. And no one deserves that!

So after searching the net and here on SL, I come here with my head humbly bowed, looking for someone familiar with my plight that has run into this problem.

We LOVE our xB's, and will own them forever hopefully. Even if Toyota gave up on them. And thanks to anyone who can help!
Old 07-11-2019, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The strut housing doesn't need a notch to correspond with the washer 'tab'. The tab actually corresponds with the bolt cam and helps to prevent turning the lobe too far in one direction or the other. It's not foolproof and you can still turn it too far. Fortunately, the washer tab allows you to feel the lobe start to bind, telling you you're near minimum or maximum adjustment. It's also hardened steel so even turning it too far won't damage the bolt or washer.

The washer tab goes in the upper strut bolt hole (at the three or nine o'clock position,) depending whether you need positive or negative camber adjustment. Once you have the cam correctly set, you'll need a wrench to hold the bolt in place while tightening the nut. Otherwise your adjustment will go out the moment your bolt turns.
Old 07-12-2019, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by 62Fender
The strut housing doesn't need a notch to correspond with the washer 'tab'. The tab actually corresponds with the bolt cam and helps to prevent turning the lobe too far in one direction or the other. It's not foolproof and you can still turn it too far. Fortunately, the washer tab allows you to feel the lobe start to bind, telling you you're near minimum or maximum adjustment. It's also hardened steel so even turning it too far won't damage the bolt or washer.

The washer tab goes in the upper strut bolt hole (at the three or nine o'clock position,) depending whether you need positive or negative camber adjustment. Once you have the cam correctly set, you'll need a wrench to hold the bolt in place while tightening the nut. Otherwise your adjustment will go out the moment your bolt turns.
Thanks 62, the hole in the strut did not seem large enough to accommodate both the bolt and tab. I do understand that the "flag" on the outside of the washer needs to be adjusted to facilitate a + or - camber adjustment.

The car is in service presently, so I can not tear a wheel off and use my air impact to try it again immediately. I am hoping the part is correct, as there are at least 3 options for a 2010 xB just from Moog. I do understand what you are saying though, that the tab goes into the round bolt hole with the bolt, which did not seem possible a few weeks ago when I was working on the brakes. I will try it as soon as I can, and that might not be too soon, and will report back here. Thanks again, Dave
Old 07-15-2019, 02:26 AM

Thanks 62. I wrote detailed response, but since I newly registered, each post needs mod approval, which did not happen. If this works, thanks, and PM won't work either. Kinda sux.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:18 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Smokeat
Thanks 62. I wrote detailed response, but since I newly registered, each post needs mod approval, which did not happen. If this works, thanks, and PM won't work either. Kinda sux.
Your prior Posts has now been Approved.
Sorry, for the inconvenience.

Administrator

Old 07-15-2019, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Smokeat
Thanks 62, the hole in the strut did not seem large enough to accommodate both the bolt and tab. .

Sorry for making things more confusing. My camber bolt washer flag is on the ID. Yours is apparently on the OD. Even though your flag doesn't go in the hole, positioning it at 3 or 9 o'clock will give you the desired result, depending whether you need positive or negative camber.