Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2015 Scion tC Throttle Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:17 PM
SL Member

Default 2015 Scion tC Throttle Issues

Aloha!

As you can see from the title, I am having throttle issues with my tC. On my way to work, there was a huge puddle (about 2ft) deep that I needed to get through, which I had no choice to do. After a day (about 4 months ago) of driving through it, I started having throttle issues where pressing on the gas hard would make my RPMs jump from 3k to 6k+ and bring no power unless I held it for a while. It did go away for about two weeks after cleaning my K&N Intake filter, but now it is back and much worst. It will barley pull my car in first gear when I take off and the RPMs will bounce up and down as Im trying drive faster in higher gears. There are really rare times where it will work some what normal, but it has no warning lights coming on at all as well. Any thoughts on what this could be? I plan on taking it to Autozone to have them check for any issues with the computer.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-19-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator
Old 07-18-2019, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this a stick shift? It almost sounds like the clutch is slipping. Seems too soon to happen on a 2015 model already though.

But If you're convinced it's not that, i'd start with an ecu reset (disconnect the battery for a few minutes to let all the electrical systems die) then reconnect and see if anything changes. Also if you have any warranty left (extended), bring it over to the dealer.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Is this a stick shift? It almost sounds like the clutch is slipping. Seems too soon to happen on a 2015 model already though.

But If you're convinced it's not that, i'd start with an ecu reset (disconnect the battery for a few minutes to let all the electrical systems die) then reconnect and see if anything changes. Also if you have any warranty left (extended), bring it over to the dealer.
Yes it is a stick shift, and it has about 56xxx miles on it. I had a feeling it was something about the clutch as well, but that sounds like a great idea, I'll go ahead and give it a try today and keep my fingers crossed haha. Then come back with a reply to this. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2019, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if there was any oil or anything in that puddle that could have made its way into your transmission (it's vented on the bottom for clutch dust to escape) and maybe glazed it or your flywheel. A warm part dipped in water wouldn't be great either for its lifespan - something could have gotten warped. Is the clutch chattery at all? It's an expensive thing to just guess at though, I would definitely get a local opinion on it before sinking some cash into it.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:52 PM
SL Member

I wonder if there was any oil or anything in that puddle that could have made its way into your transmission (it's vented on the bottom for clutch dust to escape) and maybe glazed it or your flywheel. A warm part dipped in water wouldn't be great either for its lifespan - something could have gotten warped. Is the clutch chattery at all? It's an expensive thing to just guess at though, I would definitely get a local opinion on it before sinking some cash into it.

The clutch seems perfectly fine, there are times where it tends to not go into first gear. But that is when its very cold here in Vegas, and when the car sits for an entire day, so I figure its just from the weather.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:30 AM
SL Member

I tried resetting my ECU by disconnecting and no luck Still need to stop by Autozone to have my computer read.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:01 AM
SL Member

Just took my car to the drive inn, after letting it sit on for 30 mins, I shut it off as my speakers and sub was still on to listen to the movie. 30 mins in, the car sound started going in and out and my dash started flickering for a good 15 seconds, then it completely shut off and I needed a jump start at the end of the movie (45 mins later). When I got home it had the same issue, car will not crank over at all and the power meter I am using to test my battery for my car is only over heating the wires and not showing any numbers, which is the first I've ever experienced.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess this could be a voltage issue. Car's do weird stuff when the batteries start to fail. Sounds like that's your next upgrade, so maybe you'll luck out and it will feel stronger after (I really like my Duralast Gold FWIW). It's summer, and out here in the desert the heat murders batteries.

Sorry I can't be more help, but the only thing I know of on a MTX that will let the RPM's jump around is a slipping clutch or a glazed flywheel. :/ The clutch slave cylinder pulls off the brake reservoir/master cylinder so make sure that fluid is topped off. Might need to bleed the clutch line but that's a PITA and might not help anything. If you can get a second set of eyes to come check some stuff out that wouldn't be a bad idea.

EDIT: It wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, but the issue to me is still pointing at the clutch.

Last edited by drizzoh; 07-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:48 PM
SL Member

I guess this could be a voltage issue. Car's do weird stuff when the batteries start to fail. Sounds like that's your next upgrade, so maybe you'll luck out and it will feel stronger after (I really like my Duralast Gold FWIW). It's summer, and out here in the desert the heat murders batteries.

Sorry I can't be more help, but the only thing I know of on a MTX that will let the RPM's jump around is a slipping clutch or a glazed flywheel. :/ The clutch slave cylinder pulls off the brake reservoir/master cylinder so make sure that fluid is topped off. Might need to bleed the clutch line but that's a PITA and might not help anything. If you can get a second set of eyes to come check some stuff out that wouldn't be a bad idea.

EDIT: It wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor, but the issue to me is still pointing at the clutch.
Thanks for all the help! I will for sure try those things. I did have a horrible battery, so buying one solved the starting issue from the drive-inn, and I got the same exact battery you recommended. The throttle issue is still there and didn't get any better, so I'll try those other steps and get the alternator checked out if I have time to pull it off.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:40 AM
SL Member

So I cleaned out the MAF sensor, and will be doing the throttle body clean this weekend. But the issue is still here, so it is not the MAF sensor forsure.