Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2005 Scion rough idle and electric issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 05:33 PM
SL Member

Default 2005 Scion rough idle and electric issues

I own a 2005 Scion tC with 160,000 miles and recently had a major issue. Few days ago I got a fresh oil change and order new QYL ignition coils. I was experiencing slightly rough idle and misfiring which is why I ordered ignition coils. I replaced them myself and when I went to start the car my dash reset and I started hearing a light but noticeable whining coming from near the coils.
My idle was better and no longer had a misfire to start but there was the whining. Took it for a test drive and it was fine had slightly better engine response and couldn’t hear the whining from in the car while accelerating. Parked her in the garage and there she sat for 24 hours.
came back the next day to move the car and it cranked but then died. Lost all my electrical power.

hooked up some jumper cables and it started very rough with shaking and heavy whining and very small clanking style noise. Let it run for about 60 seconds and then smoke started coming out from near the pulleys and under where the alternator sits. Turned the car off because well I didn’t want it to explode or something.

Couldnt see anything specific so went to try and start it to see if my pulleys were all spinning at idle but couldn’t even get the darn thing jumped.

Took the battery out and get that tested and it passed no issues with voltage or current output. Came back and put the battery back in and my electrical systems were functioning again. Started the car up, still rough idle, tried giving the tiniest bit of gas and the whole engine started jumping and then died.

Im hearing many different things from personal conversations with people saying it could have been a misinstalled coil shorting or something frying my ecu. Heard it could be a seized pulley. My next step is to take the belt off and manually inspect each pulley to see if any of them are rough or have play in them.

Any insights or suggestions? Money is pretty tight and I’m trying to do everything my self. Thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PickleDriver65
... My next step is to take the belt off and manually inspect each pulley to see if any of them are rough or have play in them.
The alternator needs to be tested, particularly since the battery checked out ok. I realize you probably can't drive it to an AutoZone or an alternator shop. That said I'd call around to see who has a bench tester that doesn't require your car to test the alternator. Of course that'll require you to remove it... unless your alternator guy does house calls.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:41 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by 62Fender
The alternator needs to be tested, particularly since the battery checked out ok. I realize you probably can't drive it to an AutoZone or an alternator shop. That said I'd call around to see who has a bench tester that doesn't require your car to test the alternator. Of course that'll require you to remove it... unless your alternator guy does house calls.
After I reinstalled my battery, the battery warning light now comes on when the key is in the ignition. Since my battery checked out, that’s a direct indicator that there is an alternator issue right? That said, my next immediate step is to have my alternator tested like you just suggested.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good. Let us know how is goes.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:06 PM
SL Member

Default 2005 XA 175k+ miles Rough Vibration

Hi there!

Owned my XA since mile 0. Rarely any issues other than minor ones. Just replaced all engine mounts, and have an awful vibration that just won't stop. Was vibrating prior to engine mount replacements. Check Engine light not on,but today it didn't want to crank up. Starter appears fine. Anyone else experiencing this?? Started up after a while, but still not right. Been reading about engine vibrations but I hope it isn't doing any damage.