Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

xB Transmission or Gear Swap Question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB Transmission or Gear Swap Question?

Sup guys, have a few questions regarding the xB transmission. I tried the search but so many random posts come up, it's so difficult to look through all of it. I have a 2005 xB with the 5-Speed Manual tranny. Was actually considering selling the car, but I rethought it over a bit and I am probably going to keep it. I got a little aggravated this week since my clutch is pretty much shot and the dealer said it wasnt cover under warranty. They wanted $950 to put in a new one. I laughed at them and went on my way. Guess I'll put in an aftermarket one this week at my cousins shop. The main reason I wanted to sell the car was because of this problem I have. For those of you who have the vehicle, you will know what I'm talking about. It bothers me that the car revs at 4k when your going at a steady speed of 80 on the highway. Don't know about most of you, but this is my regular speed on the highway to work, and I drive a good amount back and forth. Now at this speed the gas mileage drops a considerable amount, and instead of a 1.5 L I4, it acts more like a small V6 on the highway in consideration to MPG. Not to mention the sound when you have a modified exhaust, thing buzzes like crazy. I would like to either try to tackle this issue by doing some transmission work or probably end up parting with the vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Questions:

1) Are there any Toyota 6-Speed Transmissions that are possible for a swap into this vehicle? Possibly out of a Celica or something. Help me out with some possible codes or posts regarding past swaps.

2) Is it possible to swap a different 5th Gear from a different Toyota transmission into the current transmission to help lower the rpm at highway cruising speeds? I have done this with my old VW's and has made a night and day difference in my close ratio 5speed trannys. This will also aid in a higher top speed considering 118 is the highest I've hit, this would help.

3) Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks guys. Sorry I don't post too much on this board but this is my daily driver and I'm very busy with my other 2 project cars.

4) Also if you guys have the final drive ratios and each gear ratio for the 2005 Scion xB handy, try to post them, I'm having difficulty finding them.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-25-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

here is the list of gear ratios...

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39360

you can swap out the 4th and 5th gears from an Echo.
you can get a Final drive gear set from TRD...

as for 6 spds. i don't know any that just bolt up...
Old 01-25-2006, 03:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you, I'm going to look into it a bit.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

levin ae111 6 speed is bolt in.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any more info on this 6 speed bolt in, where can get one, ratios etc?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Ratios are online. the guy who has it swapped has an Echo. and a nice lil power adder. it's a JDM only car.

Supposedly it is 100% bolt in.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going to try and search for it online, if you have any links that would help
I have no clue where to buy one
Old 01-29-2006, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Echos have a C150 5spd. xB's have a C50. That's in those thread. They're different. There was a thread in 'Dear Toyota' that was erased or whatever. A guy in there had a 6-Spd xB.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-29-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is that C150 stronger internally? What are the differences from that to the C50 the xB uses?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 01-29-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by BoogieQ
Is that C150 stronger internally? What are teh differences from that to the c50 the xb uses?
it is the same tranny just a diff mounting tab...
the 4th and 5th gear ratios are diff as well as the final drive.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt that the C150 is any stronger, it might be weaker externally, but I doubt that there is much overall difference. To my memory, the interface on an Echo is six bolts while xA/xB have eight (hence, the C150 MIGHT have a weaker attachment). Further, the internals of the C50 and C150 are close enough to allow part swapping (if not identical as dgHotLava said), thus 4th and 5th can be swapped.

I believe that there is a C60 tranny out there, but I do not know if it can be mounted in an xA. The Matrix has a "2ZZ-6E engine and the C60 six-speed overdrive manual transmission" according to http://www.autofieldguide.com/column...0102oncar.html.

As you said, there are a ton of posts regarding ratios and six speed trannies. Following are the most informative that I have found:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39360
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...91025&start=25
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25986
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...highlight=c150
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39064
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71053
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61257
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70263

People keep saying that the 4th and 5th gears of the C150 (Echo) and C50 (xA/xB) are different, but all the posts show the same internal ratios.

Final drive ratio:
Echo: 3.722:1 in Hatch and 3.526:1 Sedan
xA/xB 4.31:1

Tomas wondered if it would be possible to use the automatic's final ratio, but I dunno about fitment either: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=58640

I do not know if you can swap just the 5th. That would not be a bad idea if you could put in a lower 5th.

I like the gearing the way that it is except when I get up to highway speeds. I would like it to be lower by about 500 RPM at 60MPH. I have no problem down shifting to pass. If I were only racing this car, then the high engine speed would not be an issue.

A six speed would be nice, but I am thinking that it is too much work and money to make it happen in an xA/xB.
Further, changing the final ratio will destroy the sportiness at lower speeds, unless it is possible to have a moderate drop in the final ratio (like in the auto).

ScionSemper, any info on the guy with the 6spd xB?

If we can make a 6spd happen for a low price, I willl probably make it a part of my engine project this summer.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I want to bump this thread...a 6-spd or at least a taller 5th gear is a necessity for me.
We drive 400+ miles almost every weekend (I know, I should buy an airplane instead...) and the 4k rpm cruise down I-83 is killing me. Besides, I'll feel bad when Toyota has to replace my engine someday!

Anyone with 'real' or 'factual' information on this swap that is still willing to help xA/xB owners? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look into the final drive system from an Echo.
That's your Best Bet.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, proctorsilex...the whole 6-bolt vs 8-bolt thing was losing me. If I go with an Echo final drive, do I need to swap in the Echo diff, as well?
i.e. - Am I going to end up trying to mate a 6-bolt gear to an 8-bolt flange if I don't get the entire Echo diff?

That's what it sounds like. Thanks for the tips...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nevermind, I see you said 'system' and not 'gear'. That would imply the entire diff should be swapped. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:52 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could swapping out the dif. member (along with the ring gear) unit out from the Echo or some thing like that work also.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default That's pretty much what I'm getting from this topic...

I think I'm just using the wrong terminology. FWD is new to me...in RWD, we'd call it the "carrier" where the ring gear sits. That's what I'm referring to as the "differential" in a FWD. I believe you'd need the 'carrier' that has the final drive gear on it and possibly whatever gear/assembly meshes with that gear. You shouldn't need the whole trans or any portion of the case...just the internal carrier with the gear(s).

Can anyone confirm this
Old 05-05-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sikbrik, I think that you have it right. you can't get the whole transaxle to fit from an echo because the mounting is supposedly different. it is supposedly possible to swap out internals between the Scions and the Echos.
Unfortunately, I do not think that anyone on here can confirm it by experience for you.
Hopefully, someone will speak up, but i think that your best bet is to call around.

1) See if a Toyota dealer shop or repair shop can help you out. maybe they can get what you need.
2) Find a salvage yard with an Echo and try it out yourself

Of course 2 relies on you being able to do it yourself and finding a salvage Echo.
You should be able to find a parts Echo, but it could be an expensive experiment if it doesn't fit. if you find one locally, then they might let you take it apart yourself saving some money and you can see the parts before you decide to buy them.

The information that i gave you is what I've gathered from various forums.
you can check out echodrivers.com for some info.

Good Luck.

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Quick question....

Can u hit the top speed on 4th gear on an xB???

I'm renting a car in the UK (Citroen C4) and it is the same issue. 5th gear and the rpms are to high....doesn't seem like overdrive gear for me haha.....

p.s. French cars are ____

_________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-16-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: language
Old 05-06-2006, 04:21 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ hahaha

btw watch yer language

Quick Reply: xB Transmission or Gear Swap Question?