Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

tC Sunroof button

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC Sunroof button

Has anyone else had problems with this?

Every once and awhile I'll try to open my sunroof and the button won't work at all.. if you wiggle it around for a few seconds it will start working, sometimes it won't work at all until you hit a bump or something.

I brought it into Toyota and of course it worked perfectly when they tried.. After arguing with them for a few minutes they said they'll replace it but they have to order it. I just wanted to see if anyone was having a similar problem?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, no similar problem, but make sure Toyota doesn't charge you a fortune if that thing isn't under warranty.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've never had any problems with the sunroof. Hope you get it fixed though!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no but I have had maybe something similiar. When you close the sunroof sometimes it will be cloing and then just start to open up again. I'm not sure if it's in the switch or the wiring. Generally happens on the 2nd part of the closing after it stops and you have to hit it again. I don't know
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow I've never seen that.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by silscion
no but I have had maybe something similiar. When you close the sunroof sometimes it will be cloing and then just start to open up again. I'm not sure if it's in the switch or the wiring. Generally happens on the 2nd part of the closing after it stops and you have to hit it again. I don't know
That happens to my buddy's Audi. It has something to do with the sunroof sensor detecting an object in the closure path, and reopening for safety. Perhaps a loose wire somewhere crossing.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by silscion
Mine use to do this also, it was a small twig from a tree I park under at work got stuck in the track somehow and was stopping it from closing.. I found the twig and it started working fine..

About the button: I'm sure it'll be covered under warranty, the car only has 24k on it and I barely ever bring it in for warranty issues. (this and the parking brake being too soft were the only problems I've ever had <knocks on woods>)

It seems like one of the wires is loose because if I push on the area around the button it will start working again.. Maybe the bass knocked it loose somehow?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wish it was a one touch close roof as well......i kno it's sorta off topic.....
Old 07-10-2006, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I do agree with you there.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Our sunroof doesn't have a safety feature for an object in it's path though. haha.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually, my sunroof switch does the exact same thing, but on the closing side instead of the opening. push the switch to close it, sometimes it works - but most of the time it takes a few dozen stabs and a few Fonz hits to get it to work. very annoying... I am probably going to pull the whole switch/dome light assembly and take it apart.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ronny_b
Our sunroof doesn't have a safety feature for an object in it's path though. haha.
yes it does, read the owners manual, it has a pinch guard so if ti meets resistance, it stops and fully opens again.

as for me, i had a problem with the wind deflector not going down when i closed it, just needed some lube and that worked fine.

then i had a problem with the sun roof not responding to the switch when i wanted to close it, i'd just have to jab it just right to get it going. and that problem has done away on its own.

now i just have whistling at speeds over 50 mph when the sun roof and windows are closed. it is always something...
Old 09-13-2009, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm actually going through the same problem in regards to the sunroof closing. The sunroof opens fine without a problem. When it comes time to close it, it seems like the button isn't working. Sometimes I have to push the button 10 times before it closes. I'm not sure what the problem is. I can say this about the closing, then reopening issue...You might want to grease the rails that bring down the visor. If it's not greased/lubed, the sunroof will get caught on the track because it's too dry. In this case, the sunroof things that something is getting caught in the track and will reopen. Getting back to the case of the switch not closing the sunroof...my warranty is up, so my only options right now is either to take it apart myself and see what's wrong, or order a new switch and install it myself. If anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know as well. Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:00 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

inb4thenobodyseenitsfromtwothousandsix
Old 09-13-2009, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyones car make a silly whirring/whistle noise over 110? lol That's my audible speed sensor lol.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Anyone ever figure out that problem or a solution for the switch.. My damn roof wont close.. It takes me on average 20-30 minutes for the thing to finally close.... I took apart the dome light assembly and motor. The black rubber contacts on the dome light assembly seemed to be ok. The motor however has a white circle plastic looking gear and I watched it when I hit the open button rotate but when I hit close it did nothing... I cant seem to figure out what the hell the problem is.... tC's roofs are straight garbage its always something with these roofs...

Last edited by MR_LUV; 03-21-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an issue with my sunroof not opening when pressing the button. It may work once in a blue moon opening and always closes, it just doesn't seem to activate when trying to open it. This is really annoying since I love the sunroof on the car. Looking at getting a new switch or finding one at a junkyard. Toyota recommended replacing it, but I don't have the money for it at the moment. It's also not my primary concern on fixing my car. Getting my a/c fixed, new shocks and replacing the hatch handle are my top concerns. Just hoping to get this fixed cheaply.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 AM

Any solution to this? Most troubleshooting points to a faulty switch but nobody has confirmed.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Blahh. Im having the same issue. My roof works opening but sometimes it refuses to close .. i jab at the frickin button like 15 times before it closes. Sometimes i have to open it fully, then hold the close button before it activates. I cleaned the track and still the same issue. Im close to ripping that console off. Lol
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem is the open/close switch. My '05 is on its second one. Mine always opens, but won't always close, even after multiple attempts. Unfortunately, you have to replace the entire map/dome light assembly as well. I picked up a used one on eBay a few years ago, and now that one is doing the same thing, so I just ordered a brand new one. My tC is approaching 100k, and I intend to keep it for a few more years, so hopefully this new switch will last until I replace the car.

The moonroof is certainly the Achilles' heel of the first-generation tC, but I still love it!

Quick Reply: tC Sunroof button