Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Water on the floor in the back seat.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Water on the floor in the back seat.

Has anyone else noticed this? For about a month now when it rains I've noticed a good amount of water on the drivers side floor in the back.
I had in-channel rain guards, thinking they might be pushing out the weather stripping I removed them. Yesterday the floor was bone dry. Today, soaked, there was nothing wet besides the floor.
Can anyone help?
Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

warrenty.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Were you running your A/C or Defroster?

If so, you likely have a blockage somewhere in your A/C condenser core drain tube. It's on the passenger side in the footwell. There's a little rubber tube that goes through the firewall. If that becomes kinked or blocked the water trapped inside can run down the firewall and directly to the rear footwell on the passenger side.

If you haven't messed with that tube by running wires through the firewall or something like that it should be covered under warranty. Otherwise, hit me up on PM and I'll go into a lengthy explanation of what I did to fix mine.

-Alex
Old 11-14-2006, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, I've been told there are plugs in the floor. I think I'll check those first. All my wires are run through the drivers side, but if the floor plugs dont help I'll be tearing that apart too.
I felt around in the hvac vent that dumps on the floor and it seams dry.
I'll update next time it rains.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could have a bad seal on your rear driver's side door. I'm experiencing this with my wife's XA (front door though). Dealer is fixing under warranty.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I called the dealer today and geuss what, I have 36080 miles and they wont warrenty it. Think I'll fight this.
Come to find out I had alot of water in the front as well. I pulled out the plugs and swosh!!! out it came.
Does anyone know if there are more then two plugs for the front?
And does anyone know how to check for a blockage in the ac drain lines?
Help would be great. All my door seals and weather stripping seam fine. All boots are seated properly.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BoxinBuzz
...does anyone know how to check for a blockage in the ac drain lines?
There is not a blockage. The A/C evaporator drain line comes out of the air box and goes down through the bottom of the car to drip water on the ground. Your drain line has become pulled off the airbox.
TSB ACOO5-05 of Sep 13, 2005 describes it. The hose is under the dash on the passenger side of the consol. The TSB makes it sound like the hose was just pushed on the spigot of the air box. The TSB mentions a retaining clamp P/N 88899–52150, which is apparently the fix to make sure the hose stays on. This clamp was apparently used begining with 2006 xB VIN JTLKT3#4#64033143.
Get the clamp, and push the hose back up onto the spigot holding the clamp open with needle nose pliers, then let go of the pliers when the hose is shoved all the way on.
BTW, since this was a defect that resulted in a TSB, I think the dealer should fix it regardless of mileage, like a recall.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank's for the help.
I tried running the car with ac on today to check if water was comming out. Dripping outside but I couldn't find any moisture inside. The drip outside seamed like it was less than it should be but I'm not really sure cause I never really paid attention to it when it was working properly.
Can anyone elaborate on where the drain line is located on the airbox.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

... I tried running the car with ac on today to check if water was comming out. Dripping outside but I couldn't find any moisture inside... Can anyone elaborate on where the drain line is located on the airbox.
You probably don't have the air conditioner leak, for two reasons:
1. Water from a loose hose could not get out of the front passenger footwell, and you said you had water in the rear footwell.
2. You are seeing condensate dripping freely under the car from the drain hose.

I don't know how to find where the hose connects to the airbox drain tube. I have taken photos all around under there and it does not show up. Here is what the TSB shows:
http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Airbox%20Leak/

BTW, about the warranty on the drain hose leak, the TSB says:
This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date. Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer’s specific complaint.
I guess that means it's not a recall, they aren't going to notify you, you have to have the leak first for them to fix the hose, and only during the warranty period.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate water. You just can't control it.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:17 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Is the collection of water ONLY on the driver's side floorboard behind the driver's seat? If so, then you most likely do NOT have the A/C condenser drain hose problem. That would cause you to have water in the passenger front floorboard, not on the driver's side, and it wouldn't have made its way all the way to the rear of the car without you noticing it first. I had the A/C leak issue in my Cobalt (POS) and it would soak the passenger side floor, but never made it beyond that.
I would start checking the seals around the driver's side rear door. You can get the water hose out and start spraying around the doors, concentrating on the upper corners where the in-channels were installed, and working your way down. Check little by little, and hopefully you'll start to notice the water's entrance point. I'll bet it has to do with the gap caused by the missing rain guards.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The water is only on the drivers side, but it is front and rear. I noticed this before I remove the rain guards so I don't believe that is the problem. I'm on my way right now to throughly check the AC drain. After that to the car wash we go. I have checked and rechecked all my seals, but it only needs to be one small spot I guess.

UV7 congrats on the win, and thank's for the help. I'm moving to Houston in March I think. Is there a good local club there?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:14 PM
UV7
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

There are a couple of clubs that have a Houston chapter. Team Scion Eyed, Scikotics, etc.. I am not too familiar with anyone from the clubs, but hopefully that will change soon. Thanks for the congrats on the Miami trip. I am really looking forward to it! When you come to Houston, look me up!
If the leak doesn't show up at the carwash, you may still want to hit the seals with the garden hose and see if you find a leak that way. The carwash just may not concentrate enough water into the leak to really expose it. Good luck, I hope you find it before the wet interior starts to grow mold and stinks up your car! That smell is horrible.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UV7
... water in the passenger front floorboard... wouldn't have made its way all the way to the rear of the car without you noticing it first...
Like, it would have to be two inches deep to flow over the structural member under the seat.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by UV7
... I hope you find it before the wet interior starts to grow mold and stinks up your car! That smell is horrible.
He needs to immediately remove the carpet and padding from front and rear, in order to:
1. Better see the water entry point.
2. Remove the water as soon as it comes in.
3. Wet-vac and air dry the carpeting and padding before mold can begin.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

odd.. the PNW up here has been getting hit w/tons of rain last 2 weeks... i thought/think i new i had a small leak from when windshild was replaced but water never got past the front passenger floor board..
last night found out that the rear passenger floor board and front are just soaked... it sux... now to find time to get the leak fixed...as well as vac out the water and at least get some kind of mold killer sprayed down... think its already starting to smell
Old 11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, all AC lines seam fine. I can not find any water or damp material anywhere other than the floor.
I did notice on the drivers side there is a brace of some sort mounted to the firewall on an angle. It's just under the dash and it has rust on it
Has any one else with the leak issues noticed this.
I have checked everything and every where.
I'm about to pull the fenders off just to check behind them.
I just can't imagine any water making its way through the inner fenders as well.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, all AC lines seam fine. ...
How many is all? What were you checking?
If the AC has anything to do with the water on the floor, the AC only has one condensate drain hose.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, by all I meant one, I just meant that I througly check that one.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I had the same problem on the passenger side. Something was clogging the drain hole in the fender and it caused water to back up into the car. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water on the floor in the back seat.